MapTool DEV Build 1.4.1.6

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Tyshalle
Giant

Re: MapTool DEV Build 1.4.1.6

Post by Tyshalle »

1.4.1.7 is the first version of 1.4 I've used. Before that I've been using 1.3.b91 for I don't even know how long. As long as it's been out, I imagine. I have none of these problems in b91. If you're having the ruler issue even in b91 then I don't even know how that could be.

The only thing I can think of is that, unless I misread something, the .exe version of 1.4.1.7 comes with Java built into it, right? So even if you don't otherwise have Java on your computer, it'll operate just fine. Well, for the past couple years I have been extra paranoid about upgrading my Java version because I had had some issues with MapTool a few years ago when I did. The version of Java I am currently using on my computer is 1.7.0_55-b13.

No clue if there might be some funkiness going on with later versions of Java that might be messing things up, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

The more I mess around with stuff, the more everything seems to be related to right-click dragging the map while doing other stuff at the same time. Well, not the chat issues I was having, but both the ruler/object dragging and the complete loss of stability with objects themselves.

I invite all of you to run the following experiments:

1. Select the ruler tool, click somewhere on the map, drag the ruler across the map some distance, then while still holding down LMB, right click. Immediately the ruler will drop back to 0.

2. Do the same as above, but now while still holding both LMB and RMB, ever so slightly drag the mouse. What would ordinarily amount to dragging the map a couple of pixels to one direction will suddenly jump the map instantaneously a far larger distance. If you experiment with this point, starting from the same exact position, and dragging it to the same exact position, the map will jump to (as far as I can tell) exactly the same point every time you reproduce this experiment. If you start in the same position and drag the ruler less far or further, it will jump you to a different point. If you start from different positions but drag it to the same position, it will jump to a new position as well.

3. Place a token on the map, then drag it across the map some distance, then while still holding LMB, right click, and pan the map some distance. As soon as you release RMB, the token will drop as if you had also released LMB. However, the token will still be "held" if you continue to hold LMB.

4. Do as above in #3, dragging the token and then using RMB to pan across the map a little bit. Once you release RMB, do not touch RMB again. Attempt to deselect the token by clicking on the map. It will not let you. If you click on a different token, it will switch, however, but only if you click on it and release the LMB. If you have token 1 selected and click-hold LMB on token 2, and immediately try to drag it, the token will not even be selected. Attempt to grab multiple tokens by holding down LMB and dragging a square across multiple tokens, and that drag-square (I forget what it's called) will not even appear. The only way to select multiple tokens is to hold down shift and individually click multiple tokens simultaneously. HOWEVER, holding RMB and panning the map a little bit again seems to reset everything.

5. You can run this experiment with #4 above, but it's more dramatic if you're using larger images on the object/background layer. Take a large image, something like 1000x1000 pixels. You can do it with any size image, but the issue is more noticeable with larger images. Grab the object and drag it, and then use RMB to pan the map a bit. The object will behave much as the tokens did in #4, and will suddenly release. However, now click in the center of the object, and attempt to drag it again. The whole image will immediately snap down and to the right, as it instantly snaps so that your mouse is directly on its top-left corner. You can do this infinite times and it will keep doing this. Panning the map again solves this problem as well.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

1. Acknowledged it's a bug (that goes back to at least 1.3.b91). Should be able to fix easy enough, we have a tied in request to change the mouse pointer for that tool as well so can do it together...

2. See #1

3. Same as #1. I actually have a 'fix' for this in development. Supposedly if you clicked the Middle mouse button while dragging a token, it was suppose to set a waypoint, but it didn't work AND not sure about anyone else but hitting the middle button while pressing left button is HARD (at least on my mouse with my large hands).
Anyway, I changed it so if you right-click while dragging, it sets a waypoint. This as a added benefit of fixing the drag issue as you can drag all you want now and continue moving the token. ALSO, I have it set so it exposes soft FoW. This lets you move a token, say, around a corner where you never been. As you normally can't move a token into FoW unless you've been there before...It's also just showing soft FoW (your history fow) so when moving this way you don't get to see tokens/npcs/etc until you stop moving.

4. Yep, that's annoying! It's loosing track of the buttons+dragging states and getting confused. Should be fixable, will take a look...

5. Having a hard time duplicating this one, not seeing it, but will keep an eye on it. May resolve when fixing #4...
-Jamz

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

I'm not sure about it going back to b91. I've been using b91 for years and have never had any of the problems I listed. What about the idea that it's actually Java that's the culprit, and not MapTool?

Also, here's another one for you. I've got a fairly simple macro I use to remove ammunition from a token, and for some reason when I use it, the game will completely refuse to allow me to unselect a token, or select a new one. Right clicking to pan the map causes it to jump around a bit.

This is all related, I feel. Too many things acting up in similar ways, for completely different reasons. I included the macro code below. Again, 100% works fine in my version of b91, but I'm using an older version of Java.

Code: Select all

[h: assert(isGM(),"You must be a GM to run this macro",0)]
[h:status=input(
"ShotsFired|1|Shots Fired",
"Magazine|Revolver|Which Magazine|LIST|SELECT=0 VALUE=STRING")]
[h:abort(status)]

[h:MagP=eval(Magazine)]
[h:MaxID=lastIndexOf(MagP,'/')]
[h:CurAm=eval(substring(MagP,0,MaxID))]
[h:MaxAm=eval(substring(MagP,MaxID+1))]

[h:assert((ShotsFired<=CurAm),"You have shot more than your current magazine holds. Please input a valid number.")]
[h:assert((ShotsFired>0),"You cannot shoot less than a positive number of bullets.  Please input a valid number.")]
<b>Fires [t:ShotsFired] Shot(s)</b>
[h:CurAm=CurAm-ShotsFired]
[t,s:"<br><b>"+CurAm+" </b>/<b> "+MaxAm+"</b> Bullets left in gun."]
[h:MagString=CurAm+"/"+MaxAm]

[h,if(matches(Magazine,"Revolver")):Revolver=MagString]

[H: bar.bullets.9mm.empty = MaxAm * 0.0325]
[h,if(matches(Magazine,"Revolver")):bar.bullets.9mm = CurAm * 0.0325]

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I suppose java could be be a cause, I'll have to reinstall an older version to test. Can you give me your exact version and flavor via a "java -version" (flavor meaning oracle, ibm, openjdk, etc)

The macro by itself doesn't look particularly dangerous, can you share the campaign file? How do you use the macro, assume selecting token and clicking but could be invoke other ways so better safe than sorry...
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

For the new problem, try changing '/' to "/" in your code. This could be parser related. Also, are your smilies turned on? I think by default it should be off or may be disabled but I just want to make sure you have them turned off. Also, you never said what your error was. When starting maptool launcher check the macros debugging in advanced tab and then check the log.txt file in .maptoool folder to see what the error is.

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

I can post the framework later (it's a large file and I don't have time to shrink it down right now), though it's a modified version of the framework AliasMask built for my Stalker/Firefly campaign, and from the sound of things he's having similar issues with his, so he might have a better understanding of it.

My Java version is Version 7, Update 55 (build 1.7.0_55-b13).

The macro is used as you describe, you select the token, the macro is on the token itself (though it doesn't have to be for it to work) and you just click it and it does its thing.

I'll try your potential fix in a bit, AliasMask, and report what's going on there.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Thanks, I'll try and test it this week.

For the campaign, a one drive/google drive/dropbox share may be the easiest if possible...
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Return to “Announcements”