It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:29 am 

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Deity

Post subject: Dropbox license changes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:03 am 
Dropbox wrote:
Dropbox Basic (free) users: Beginning March 15, 2016, the Public folder will be converted into a standard Dropbox folder that’s private to your account. This transition will occur automatically. After the transition, when someone visits an existing Public folder link, they’ll see an error page. If you want to share any Public folder content again, you’ll need to use any of our other sharing methods. Learn more.

I was wondering, I've always used shared links to files and this is something they still support after this. However most of these shared files are inside the public folder, does anyone know whether these links will be destroyed in March or not? Its completely unclear to me.

That besides, I thought it good to mention this change here as DB is used quite a bit to share stuff.

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II and onMouseOverEvent
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS

User avatar  Offline
Deity

Post subject: Re: Dropbox license changes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:08 am 
I think you'll have to create new shared links for them.

User avatar  Offline
Deity

Post subject: Re: Dropbox license changes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:20 am 
I've done some digging and indeed: all links will be rendered useless. I've read a couple of forums and people are seriously PO by this move, not surprising, there are 651 shared files in my public folder all linked to several fora which will all be rendered 'x' as of march. And that's just me.

What I've seen so far this will be the link change:
public:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/905 ... lity.rpmap
private:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek1wo2ct6klab ... lity.rpmap

The latter uses an in-between webpage before you can download, the former is a direct download.

This thus means that the repository function used so far will also be rendered useless.

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II and onMouseOverEvent
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]