MapTool 1.3 Development Build 15

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

I have an old dell Inspiron 7000 for a loptop, with the 1600x1200 ultra clear monitor, it has never been a problem.

My new monitor is a Dell 24" 2407 which when I looked was one of the cheaper 24" screens with some of the best reviews (and is beautiful).
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

dorpond wrote: Here is a screeny of mine:
At home, I looked at this with my CRT (Cybervision C92) and the FOW icons are still hard to see. I notice that if I am real close to the screen, I can make them out but if I am further away (Think HDTV/Prjection), they look like black circle buttons with no detail.

Perhaps that is the key - step back - if they can still be made out OK, then they are good. We have to make sure they work well at a distance.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Well I sent new ones to trevor, so up to the man now.

I still say ya'll need your eyes looked at though. I can still make these out without any strain at about 5' from my LCD, not as clear as the white ones, but the new ones are white, so they should fix all the problem people are having.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

A thought on the buttons.

I'm not sure why were doing different color schemes for buttons that do the same thing but on a different layer.

For instance: The draw square button. It drwas a square wheather your in pencil, fog, or sight layers. Why make one black one blue and one yellow or whatever. It does the same thing. It you picked one color scheme just use that for all of them and you save yourself the head ache of thinking up three that look equally good.

I guess my thought is that if the buttons do the same thing its ok for them to look the same. The user just looks and says oh I know what that will do i just used it in the pencil mode.

The only disadvantage would be its trickier to see what mode your in at a glance for a new user. I think there are other ways to indicate that though.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Yeah that was the only reason I went with different colors, to help people quickly see at a glance what tool they were using.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Hey snik, what if we made the icons have the blue background be 50% translucent when not selected, and full color when selected ? Might make the selected tool more obvious
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

snikle wrote:Well I sent new ones to trevor, so up to the man now.

I still say ya'll need your eyes looked at though. I can still make these out without any strain at about 5' from my LCD, not as clear as the white ones, but the new ones are white, so they should fix all the problem people are having.
Yup they look just fine even from a distance for me as well. Maybe it is because I had Lasik a few years back? ;)
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

trevor wrote:Hey snik, what if we made the icons have the blue background be 50% translucent when not selected, and full color when selected ? Might make the selected tool more obvious
That might just work! I like that idea. Sort of like having the buttons illuminated from within to give the impression of On/Off.

ImageImage

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trevor wrote:Hey snik, what if we made the icons have the blue background be 50% translucent when not selected, and full color when selected ? Might make the selected tool more obvious
I think this would probably help a lot.

(But I still think it would be best if you gave us a way to put in custom buttons so that some basic skinning could begin to evolve.)

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I just discovered I have a monitor testing application. It is a bit old, and doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but if anyone can get any use out of it please feel free. It is freeware that I found I don't know when/where.

http://www.citlink.net/~rpmiller1/Monitester.zip

ImageImage

Return to “Announcements”