Upgrade complete (?)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Upgrade complete (?)

Post by Azhrei »

Hey everyone!

I think we're all updated. But there was a snafu and I may have lost a few posts from the last day or two. For example, my original Announcement post that the board was being updated tonight is gone. :(

Also, you can see that your style (a.k.a. theme) has been reset to prosilver. I'll get new styles added asap -- hopefully a few tonight and then some more during the week. Most people were using the default, "subandreas08", but that theme has not been updated to work with the 3.2 version of phpBB, so it won't be coming back. Instead, I'll try to find something close as well as a few others, just so people have a choice.

Please email or PM me if you see any problems with the board. I'm going to be researching MODs for v3.2 over the next week and there might be some slight tweaks here and there. I also haven't added in our custom spoiler BBcode, so that'll come later in the week as well.

Hopefully I didn't break anything too badly!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade complete (?)

Post by Azhrei »

Uh-oh, replying to my own posts. Tsk, tsk...

I wanted to point out that since I'm installing new themes for the forum, if any of the artists out there would like to create a theme for us, I'd be happy to install it! (Hm, artists -- do we have any of those? Gee, I don't know... ;))

If you're interested, check out the guidelines here and get started!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Thanks for the upgrade... it's always a little painful to do so.
Azhrei wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:17 pm
Uh-oh, replying to my own posts. Tsk, tsk...

I wanted to point out that since I'm installing new themes for the forum
I got the theme I've been using to work (subsilver2) except that the graphic in the upper left hand corner that used to say "RPTools" is now using a "phpbb" default.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Ah, good point. I'll get that updated in the template sometime in the next couple of days.

I'm using the "Allan*-SUBSILVER" style. It has a MOD applied that lets the user change the default font size for the entire forum... and my eyes are getting old. ;)

I did get the spoiler stuff implemented; that was much quicker than I thought. I'm not sure it will work in all styles, though. They've gone to a technique where styles can be based on other styles, so when you change the base, all of the ones dependent on it also change. Of the 6 or 7 additional styles I installed, only one wasn't bast on the stock "prosilver" style.

Well, I'm sure I'll hear from people who find other things. :) Thanks again.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Going to miss my ugly envision theme, but I think I've settled on the SE Square Left theme. One thing I ran across is the spoiler tag doesn't work as expected. It prints everything out but puts it black on black. Is that intended?

Example Post: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=24994#p251954

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:45 am
One thing I ran across is the spoiler tag doesn't work as expected. It prints everything out but puts it black on black. Is that intended?

Not seeing that... but it looks like all of the spoiler tags are open (and don't close) on subsilver2.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:09 am
I'm using the "Allan*-SUBSILVER" style. It has a MOD applied that lets the user change the default font size for the entire forum... and my eyes are getting old. ;)
Can't you just Ctrl-+ to increase the size of your display on the site? I know it increases the size of graphics, too... but the site isn't that graphics heavy.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

There is also an option in your user control panel to change the font size you see.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 am
aliasmask wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:45 am
One thing I ran across is the spoiler tag doesn't work as expected. It prints everything out but puts it black on black. Is that intended?

Not seeing that... but it looks like all of the spoiler tags are open (and don't close) on subsilver2.
This is what it looks like. Open spoiler. Black on black. You can highlight to reveal text but other things like attachments and hyperlinks show up normally.
Attachments
Spoiler image.jpg
Spoiler image.jpg (124.65 KiB) Viewed 4090 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hm, maybe the spoiler updates didn't make it into all of the themes. I'll check.

Yes, the font size control is there in the UCP for the theme(s) where it is supported, which isn't all of them. And yes, I could zoom the font "manually", so to speak, but then I have to do it every time I open a window or tab with a forum thread in it. This is just easier. :) (Not like I spend much time on the forums anymore. In the past I would click the New Posts link, then look through the message thread titles and Cmd-click to open them in separate tabs. That way I could mark all of them read while reading individual threads over a long period of time. But multiple tabs meant resizing the font in every one of them.)

Thanks everyone. Keep the reports coming! I'll get to them at the end of the day, as I'm not going to have time before then.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Thanks for all the effort, Az. I like the new look.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 am
Yes, the font size control is there in the UCP for the theme(s) where it is supported, which isn't all of them. And yes, I could zoom the font "manually", so to speak, but then I have to do it every time I open a window or tab with a forum thread in it. This is just easier. :) (Not like I spend much time on the forums anymore. In the past I would click the New Posts link, then look through the message thread titles and Cmd-click to open them in separate tabs. That way I could mark all of them read while reading individual threads over a long period of time. But multiple tabs meant resizing the font in every one of them.)
Weird. FireFox is smart enough to remember what size I have the entire site at. If I make this page 120% then every page on the forums is at that size and I never have to resize it (and, yes, I pop open threads into their own tabs, too.) I have different sizes for all kinds of sites.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hm, that's a nice feature, but not enough for me to switch to FF full time. (I love the GreaseMonkey extension, but that's my only reason for using it. I probably should just get GM for Safari and/or Chrome.)
Spoiler
This is spoiled.
Spoiler
And this is just spoiled rotten.
Last edited by Azhrei on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to add 'spoiler' test cases

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm
Hm, that's a nice feature, but not enough for me to switch to FF full time.
If I used Facebook (I don't) I'd use Firefox just to have the Facebook Container feature. Someone is developing a Google Container, too... and, hopefully, more containers are on the way. Not sure why this isn't par for the course... all these companies only have themselves to blame.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, it looks like things are better in terms of spoilers.

I had to change the <button> into an <a> and I'm not sure why. The CSS for styling the button wasn't taking effect and it wasn't clear using the browser's built-in CSS tool why that was happening. I'm not too happy with the way the link looks, though; I think it needs a border, at a minimum, and perhaps a background color assigned so that it isn't transparent. That will make it look more like a button. But it works, so I'll continue playing around with the button's CSS and see if I can't figure it out. (My nephew used to be the webmeister for CNN. If he can't figure out, no one can. ;))

I also checked to make sure the spoiler text was properly hidden with JavaScript turned off in my browser. However, if you do that, some of the themes won't work in various ways as they rely on figuring some things out (and reacting) via JavaScript.

I only did that for a few themes 'cuz it's such a pain to change themes... (I tried to install an extension that allowed theme changing right from the main page of the board, but the installation failed so I backed it out and was just happy that it didn't screw up anything else! I'll get the current forum software checked into a local Git repo so recovering from such things will be a bit more reliable. :))

Return to “Announcements”