MapTool 1.3 Development Build 20

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Oberon
Kobold

Post by Oberon »

Don't have a start menu... I forgot to mention this but I'm using Mac OS X 10.4...

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

What Java release?

Open a terminal window and type in "java -version".

Oberon
Kobold

Post by Oberon »

1.5.0_13 Java(TM) 2 RuntimeEnvironment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-241) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-121, mixed mode, sharing)

I'm sure that's more info than needed but better that than not enough...

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Well that's current enough to not be a problem.

Can you try one of the zip versions?

Download the zip archive of MapTool.
Extract it someplace.
Use a terminal window to run MapTool by changing directory to the extracted zip location and then typing "java -jar maptool-1.3.b20.jar". (For the current dev release.)

Then try to drop a token and see if there is any output to the terminal window. Note that you will get a popup warning about minimum memory but just ignore it.

Oberon
Kobold

Post by Oberon »

It worked... why would it work for the .zip but not the web launch?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Well that's curious. No idea why it would work that way versus webstart.

There is a shell script that I believe is suitable for Macs in the archive as well. I believe you just change the name from "Launch MapTool.sh" to "Launch MapTool.command".

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Oberon, your preferences may be set to use the older version from inside WebStart. Try this:

Find your Java Web Start.app (mine was under Applications -> Utilities -> Java. Double-click it in Finder.

The Java Web Start menu has a Preferences... item on it. Select that item and you should get a tabbed panel with three panes. The first one, General, is where you can select which JVM version to use when starting a Java app via Web Start. Mine is currently set to J2SE 5.0 and it works fine when running MapTool via Web Start. There are two areas to verify: the Java Applet Runtime Settings and the Java Application Runtime Settings. The first one applies to running Java applets inside a web browser and the second one applies to running standalone applications. The one MapTool needs is the second one, "Applications".

The Advanced tab is where you can turn the "Java Console" on and off; you might see references to that as you peruse the forums. Also, if you rename the file in the ZIP that ends in ".sh" so that it ends in ".command" instead, you can just double-click it to start MapTool. When you start MapTool this way, you won't need the Java console, since the Terminal window will have all of the internal Java messages in it.

HTH.

Oberon
Kobold

Post by Oberon »

For some inexplicable reason after I got the zip version to work the web version started working as well... weird but as long as it works I'm happy with it...

FatRat
Kobold

Post by FatRat »

Phergus wrote:Dragging tokens copied from maps with grids on a gridless map has weird behavior. Heavy CPU load. Mouse cursor disappears. When you release the mouse the token is moved.

Tokens originally placed on the gridless map or copied from a gridless map move normally.
I've been experiencing a similar thing with tokens and objects even on maps without grids when using 1.3.b20 (Windows XP and the latest Java update).

Another thing that I noticed is that if a token starts sitting upon a topology line (e.g., a diagonal topology line bisecting the grid square in which the token sits), it does the disappear/reappear bit when moving it. That same token, if not in a square bisected by the topology line moves just fine.

If it helps, I have a .cmpgn file saved for the above as well as one where the object just disappears when moving regardless of the location of the topology lines.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Interesting. Trevor may find those campaign files handy so hang on to them.

Return to “Announcements”