MapTool 1.3 Development Build 24

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

trevor wrote:Also, was the token visible to you and just not selectable ?
Yes the token was visible to the GM view but was not selectable.

What I did was right click on the token then yes I think I went to change to -> hidden. I am now guessing that is for layers. As opposed to State is Hidden as in invisible??
--
Big Mac

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Correct. The Change to option is for moving it to a different layer.

Hidden state would be under the State menu option. And note that this merely puts a mark on the token to denote its state. It doesn't actually hide it.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Not sure when this broke but we can no longer 'send to chat' any of the GM Notes or Notes. The whole right mouse button menu doesn't exist anymore.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Trevor, we had a weird problem tonight. It appears to be that we might have had a memory issue. The server was set to 1GB (via a downloaded zip) and the clients all used the typical web start (256MB?). We had issues with the server dragging to a crawl.

Could it be that the server was using memory that wasn't available on the client side? (My memory bar said 157M/213M.) If so, should there be an additional check when the clients connect to the server to ensure that they have the same memory size?

TheLev will be contacting you to see if there's a practical way to test this. I was thinking he could send you a campaign (about 5MB in size) and you would run the 1GB server (with profiling and other debug options enabled) with a few other clients connected.

I can make available a Mac OSX machine, plus a couple of WinXP machines, plus a couple of Linux machines connected at once, if that would help.

Thanks.

Double King
Cave Troll

Post by Double King »

ah yes, the evening of the black death, when our group moved to b24. (shudder) It seems like just yesterday.

I'm happy to donate my Mac OSX to the experiment too. Oddly both Az and i were in the same game and my machine was at something like 122/150megs for memory when he was reporting about 20% higher.

And then the darkness descended on us and we all went home to play alone. (sniff)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Az - do you have the autosave enabled. I was having some problems during sessions where my server would slow to a crawl for what seemed forever but was probably just 20-30 seconds (CPU 100%). I disabled the autosave before the last session and I didn't notice that problem this last time.

Did you start MapTool using the javaw command? If so you lose the output of any exceptions that might have happened.

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

Phergus wrote:Az - do you have the autosave enabled. I was having some problems during sessions where my server would slow to a crawl for what seemed forever but was probably just 20-30 seconds (CPU 100%). I disabled the autosave before the last session and I didn't notice that problem this last time.
Since Lev just downloaded b24 like the rest of us, and autosave may be turned on automatically whenever you download a new version (I don't know, I disabled on b18 but haven't checked 24 yet) that's a distinct possibility. *shrugs*

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Azhrei wrote:Trevor, we had a weird problem tonight. It appears to be that we might have had a memory issue. The server was set to 1GB (via a downloaded zip) and the clients all used the typical web start (256MB?). We had issues with the server dragging to a crawl.
When you say the server was dragging to a crawl, what specifically were you seeing ? Were client updates taking a long time, or was thelev's machine just going really slow ?

The server should not impact the clients. I'd be very interested in the seeing campaign to do some profiling.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

brad wrote:Trevor- How many sizes are supposed to be listed in the Size menu when you right click on a token? I am using b24. The wilderness map that I made in b19 or b20 is only giving me medium, large, and giant. The tokens in the Dungeon board that I made in b20 are giving me a huge list(8 or 9 different sizes). There was another map that allowed me the big list too. When I make a new map in b24 the tokens are just giving me the 3 sizes as well. I am trying to reshoot the token tutorial and was wondering how it was supposed to be working.
The token sizes are based on your grid type. The 8-9 sizes are on the square grid, the 3 sizes are a hex grid
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Thanks Trevor! I will make sure to put that distinction in the tutorial.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

mrobviousjosh wrote:
Phergus wrote:Az - do you have the autosave enabled. I was having some problems during sessions where my server would slow to a crawl for what seemed forever but was probably just 20-30 seconds (CPU 100%). I disabled the autosave before the last session and I didn't notice that problem this last time.
Since Lev just downloaded b24 like the rest of us, and autosave may be turned on automatically whenever you download a new version (I don't know, I disabled on b18 but haven't checked 24 yet) that's a distinct possibility. *shrugs*
I wasn't sure how to disable the autosave, but I have mine set to autosave every 500 minutes, so that it never interrupts a session. When I checked my b24, it was set at 500 minutes as well. Is there a better way to make sure the autosave doesn't kick on?
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

thelevitator wrote:
mrobviousjosh wrote:
I wasn't sure how to disable the autosave, but I have mine set to autosave every 500 minutes, so that it never interrupts a session. When I checked my b24, it was set at 500 minutes as well. Is there a better way to make sure the autosave doesn't kick on?
I just put mine to 0. I keep it reminding me to save on exit though which isn't a cause for concern. That's just what I do though (and what Trevor told me to do once upon a time).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

TheLev, would you like to respond to Trevor's question? Exactly what did you see as you were trying to use MT?

What he said over Skype was that attempting to erase topology was dead slow. He would left-click, then move the mouse and wait forever for the "rubber-band" effect to be drawn. It took him about 6-7 minutes to erase a single drawn aross a doorway. (Of course, the line was on a diagonal, so there were quite a few clicks required.)

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I really didn't see much, because it was taking so long for anything to change on my screen. I was counting off the seconds in my head and it was taking more than 20 seconds from the time I clicked on a token until it actually highlighted it. It was hard for me to focus in on anything specific because I was trying really hard to keep the game moving. I wish I could add more detail, but it was really just a matter of my MT moving really slowly. One thing I did notice was that it would occasionally run ok for a few minutes, and then it would almost lock up again. This repeated over and over, so it wasn't like it was super slow all the time, it was kinda on and off.

I was thinking about running 2 instances on my laptop at different memory configurations to see if I can duplicate it locally. Or I can run a 3rd instance on my other computer too. I'll report back what I find. It might be an issue with my system.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

I had a similar experience using 1.3.20 about a month ago. This has turned out to be a network issue. I note that you ran two versions of MT on your local comp. This was the combo that "killed" me also, but IMC it was related to the fact that the LAN gets involved even with the two programs on the same PC. It was wLAN performance (a pisspoor access point) that took things down AFAICT.

I have tested since with a new access point, and no problems whatsoever has occurred in either 1.3.20 or .24 (or .23 for that matter).
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

Return to “Announcements”