MapTool 1.3 Development Build 29

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Dark Thoughts
Giant

Post by Dark Thoughts »

Why the decision for font style to revert to the old style on token tags?

I'm using b28 and they look fine. Is there an older style that looks better?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: PC sight and NPC sight

Post by dorpond »

PillBox wrote:Hey trevor, here is a video of the NPC and PC light. You can see that revealing one reveals the other.

http://www.pillboxgames.com/video/sight.avi
Light is light, right? Everyone can see light.

I didn't get a chance to see your video yet since it is a whopping 23 meg so I am just going off your textual description.

My guess however is that you are really talking about vision? If you click on a NPC and do Expose, it will in fact expose that NPC along with the PC's. Trevors thoughts are that this is good in case the NPC was to be in the party. If you don't want to expose the NPC's, don't select them when exposing. I personally think that NPCs should not be able to expose at all and in the event that an NPC is in the party, just make it a PC but don't assign it to anyone. There, it is in the party now. I guess the community can decide that one since they would both work well for me.

*Dorpond tries to figure out what else it could be while 45% done with the video download*

Hmmm, I might have to wait to see the video. ;)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

PillBox
Dragon

Post by PillBox »

Well, I guess is works right then, though that does not make sense to me. Maybe a new option coiuld be added to PC and NPC - Enemy.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

What doesn't make sense to you? Can you define?

Normally the GM doesn't need to expose vision for his NPC's, right? I mean, he already sees the whole map already. All the GM needs is to be able to see the vision rings on his NPC's if he really wants to but even then we default NPC's vision to none because the GM usually only cares about what the PC's can see.

Hey! The video is done downloading! BRB ;)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

OK, just watched the video. From what I see, Maptool is behaving just like it should. Think about your scenario a minute; you are 'humans' in an open field and it is dark outside. In that field are 4 people - two are PC's and two are NPC's. Each of them are carrying a light source.

Now, in the real world, would you as a human see the NPC's light? Sure you would. Would you see your friends light? Sure you would. You would also see the ground around those NPC's lit by the light, right? Yep.

From what I see, Maptool is working just fine. It is showing you all the light in the area and removing the Hard Fog so that the players can see the ground in that lit area.

Now, if it is doing that and there is a wall (vbl) between the PC's and NPC's, then we have a problem.

PillBox
Dragon

Post by PillBox »

dorpond wrote:OK, just watched the video. From what I see, Maptool is behaving just like it should. Think about your scenario a minute; you are 'humans' in an open field and it is dark outside. In that field are 4 people - two are PC's and two are NPC's. Each of them are carrying a light source.

Now, in the real world, would you as a human see the NPC's light? Sure you would. Would you see your friends light? Sure you would. You would also see the ground around those NPC's lit by the light, right? Yep.

From what I see, Maptool is working just fine. It is showing you all the light in the area and removing the Hard Fog so that the players can see the ground in that lit area.

Now, if it is doing that and there is a wall (vbl) between the PC's and NPC's, then we have a problem.
lol, it makes sense. Guess its just because I have only used light inside dungeons. I was not actually thinking in what I was doing, just assuming they had different vision, lol.

kat2cute
Dragon

Post by kat2cute »

I had problems with the new b29 release when using my old campaign file. My premade camapaign was slow, and I couldn't edit my premade tokens at all. It was sluggish, especially at first. I would right click (or map explorer right-click) on a PC token and select edit. The right click screen popped up pretty fast, but I waiting and waiting and the token edit screen refused to appear. There were other old token issues. One of my players said that the program gave an error when she tried to save over her old saved token with the new version, and my players couldn't see their tokens on the map, pre-existing or newly place. They were placed in a cleared non-FOG zone and had light sources assigned (as well as permission of the players), so by all accounts they should have been visible. They also had on and off issues with right-click edit not working on thier tokens. Other right-click properties (like light) still functioned, but I just couldn't edit them. Is there some incompatibility with old tokens? I hope not, because me and my players have already put a lot of work into their tokens already.
We ended up having to go back to 1.3.b28
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I ran a game with B29 today. It was much faster than b28 but I couldn't bring up the token edit window. Other than that things seemed to be ok.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

For those who are reporting issues, please let us know if they are newly created campaigns in b29 or if they were made with previous versions of MT.

I know I haven't seen any performance issues nor issues with editing tokens, but I have been making all new campaigns in B29. I have a hunch that these issues that are cropping up are from campaigns made in previous versions.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Sorry for the delay all. There was a bug with the new token sight property that didn't let old campaigns load the Edit Token dialog (which probably also accounted for the perceived sluggishness).

I've fixed that bug in b30
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Announcements”