MapTool 1.3 Development Build 31

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Orchard wrote: Now that you are developing MapTool, do you ever actually get a chance to sit down and PLAY a game with the tool you've developed?
It's a lesser known fact that I'm actually not really an rpg-er. I played the basic sets when I was a kid, but then nothing until about 3.5 years ago when I started working with giliath, who is the gamer. He loved to game, and I loved to code graphic stuff. His group was using klooge at the time, but it didn't suit their needs. So we created maptool.

That said, I've played in a just short of a dozen or so sessions with Snikle over the past year or so and have enjoyed it. I also play in a play-by-post with Steel Rat.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for you all), whenever I play using MT, I think "man, this thing needs a loooot of work, and polish". So I take notes and make adjustments. But the big win for the community is that instead of spending my time gaming, I'm spending it writing MT :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

It's a lesser known fact that I'm actually not really an rpg-er. I played the basic sets when I was a kid, but then nothing until about 3.5 years ago when I started working with giliath, who is the gamer. He loved to game, and I loved to code graphic stuff. His group was using klooge at the time, but it didn't suit their needs. So we created maptool.
My world image has changed completely. I must now rethink my vision of who you are. This will take approximately 3.5 days. Or minutes. It's hard to tell, really.

Well, if you are ever in Philly area (I live just a touch north of there--google will tell you), and want a delicious meal as a reward for your efforts, I'd be glad to cook something fancy up. Probably including bacon, but that's just because bacon is just so delicious. If you are Jewish by any freak chance, I'll be sure to use kosher bacon. :evil:
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Orchard wrote: My world image has changed completely. I must now rethink my vision of who you are.
Hi, I'm trevor :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote: It's a lesser known fact that I'm actually not really an rpg-er.
As a side thought, this is exactly why I depend on the community so much, to guide development since I don't always know what's useful or how things work. It's also why MT keeps going (and has kept going for 3+ years), if the community were to dry up, I'd eventually move on to something else, but the community is so awesome, I can't help but keep tinkering away :)

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Wow, that is odd. I mean, I guess it's kind of like a NASA engineer. It's not like they actually go into space. Still, it makes me doubly appreciate your hard work that you're not even doing it for you!

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

trevor wrote:
trevor wrote: It's a lesser known fact that I'm actually not really an rpg-er.
As a side thought, this is exactly why I depend on the community so much, to guide development since I don't always know what's useful or how things work. It's also why MT keeps going (and has kept going for 3+ years), if the community were to dry up, I'd eventually move on to something else, but the community is so awesome, I can't help but keep tinkering away :)
Well I hope I'm helping to keep it awesome.

wacko76
Cave Troll

Post by wacko76 »

/me hugs trevor

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

Time for another confession then... I haven't used MapTool even once. Seriously.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Wow. Do you game at all? How did you even hear about Maptools? I mean, I'm glad you did and all.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Ryss wrote:Time for another confession then... I haven't used MapTool even once. Seriously.
Took me 18+ months to start using it. I had my first full session only 3 weeks ago.

Didn't stop me from following the work and contributing to the forum though. In fact, following MT and participating in the forum has become something of a hobby in and off itself.

I knew it was only a matter of time before I got up and running.

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

UntoldGlory wrote:Wow. Do you game at all? How did you even hear about Maptools? I mean, I'm glad you did and all.
My D&D journey started 13ish years ago with 1st edition. Then we moved to 2nd ed. After playing a few years we took a break. Then came back with 3rd ed. That didn't last very long. And finally played 3.5 a few sessions which was 3 years ago or so. We always wanted to play again but never did in the end.

So I kinda like rpg stuff but at this day and age it is nearly impossible to gather and play on tabletop. And I like computers and technology and thought "mmm somebody has to have done something we can use to play online" and googled :D That's how I've found MapTools (last year). Once in a couple months I came back to check what was new. 2 weeks ago I came back again and decided to contribute.

I don't usually play computer games, got bored of em years ago and I think playing games is a colossal waste of time. RPGs are not so bad though.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Ryss wrote:
UntoldGlory wrote:Wow. Do you game at all? How did you even hear about Maptools? I mean, I'm glad you did and all.
My D&D journey started 13ish years ago with 1st edition. Then we moved to 2nd ed. After playing a few years we took a break. Then came back with 3rd ed. That didn't last very long. And finally played 3.5 a few sessions which was 3 years ago or so. We always wanted to play again but never did in the end.

So I kinda like rpg stuff but at this day and age it is nearly impossible to gather and play on tabletop. And I like computers and technology and thought "mmm somebody has to have done something we can use to play online" and googled :D That's how I've found MapTools (last year). Once in a couple months I came back to check what was new. 2 weeks ago I came back again and decided to contribute.

I don't usually play computer games, got bored of em years ago and I think playing games is a colossal waste of time. RPGs are not so bad though.

I may be contacting you all very shortly, if you don't mind.

This is something that is important.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I think he wants to publish something having to do with behavioral phsychology. :P

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

UntoldGlory wrote:I think he wants to publish something having to do with behavioral phsychology. :P

Shhh

Don't tell anyone!

trevor

Post by trevor »

UntoldGlory wrote:I think he wants to publish something having to do with behavioral phsychology. :P
Something about "Freaks on Parade" :)

ok, I admit it, I'm one of them.

Return to “Announcements”