Character Tool Development Release Build 8

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

FdL
Giant

Post by FdL »

torstan wrote:Jay seems to be working on a 4e character sheet. He even posted a screenie of it in the CharacterTool forum. I'm not sure that's particularly safe given the extremely restrictive nature of the 4e GSL. Definitely one to be handled with caution as it seems to explicitly state that no character sheet generators can be created.
Where does it say this? :o This is awful!

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Well it says (as I understand from the posts of others) that no character generators can be created under the GSL. However as rptools doesn't look like they will be adopting the GSL any time soon this is fairly irrelevant. That means CharTool just has to abide by normal copyright rules.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Correct.

jstgtpaid
Giant

Post by jstgtpaid »

The copyright for games seems pretty loose to me. I can't post the URL because this is my first post, but google copyright games and you will get the link for US copyright law regarding games.

In any case, I was looking at PCGen and that tool was more than I wanted, but the good folks over there pointed to your site. Boy am I glad! The Char Tool is exactly what I am looking for. Well it will be when it goes 4e anyway.

The screen pic on the rptools site hooked me in.

Anyway, I had the same issues as some of the others getting char tools to start. As the others found out the program takes Java 6, so after that I was up. I have the blank screen greeting me but I am sure I will figure out what is going on there.

I am running it on Linux by the way. If you need any testing or anything else, please let me know. I want to get involved...

Thanks!
Steven

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The blank screen is due to the splitter between the message area and the character sheet area being at the very top of the split area. Move the splitter down and you will be able to see the character sheet.

mentalcaz
Kobold

Post by mentalcaz »

was able open without issue on my vista 64 and in vista 32 also only thign I ran into was the splitter thing like jay pointed out.

Jay it looks very cool couple thougts on it.

skills.... I need to be able to add new skills in to account for us oddballs running other skills like clockwork and steamwork stuff ;p

how are you going to handle equipment for it

your easily on the path to make an intergated char tool for the rest of the rptools which makes me happy in a need a tissue or two kind of way ;p

no seriously it makes me stop and think twice about giving rpgx more of my money if they ever get their rumorware dmtools out

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

mentalcaz wrote:skills.... I need to be able to add new skills in to account for us oddballs running other skills like clockwork and steamwork stuff ;p
To add a skill you add another property for it in the game file. It's still a pain to do that right now as I haven't had a chance to get an editor complete.
mentalcaz wrote:how are you going to handle equipment for it
All of the equipment will be kept in a database. You will be able to select what equipment you have and it will show up in a list on a second panel or tab. Then you will be able to equip weapons & magic items. If the modifiers have been entered into the database as well then these modifiers will automatically appear on the proper statistic.
mentalcaz wrote:your easily on the path to make an intergated char tool for the rest of the rptools which makes me happy in a need a tissue or two kind of way ;p

no seriously it makes me stop and think twice about giving rpgx more of my money if they ever get their rumorware dmtools out
Thanks!

Return to “Announcements”