MapTool 1.3 Development Build 32

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Session Report: Lost Network COnnection OH NOES!!!!11

Post by trevor »

Orchard wrote: The fact of the matter is, however, that MapTool did NOT handle this gracefully. At all.
Hmmm, that's really odd. I would have also expected it to handle it better.

I'll try some unexpected disconnects and see if I can reproduce it

As a side note, MT now makes backups of every campaign that you load up, so if your campaign ever goes bad, you can get the copy of the campaign right as you opened it. You can find the backups in the .maptool directory under backup or something
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

Full Bleed wrote: Before, it was occasionally oddly incrementing (like doing 14 instead of 15), but it was the same every time. Now the increment changes with just about every click of the mouse wheel when you zoom in and out.
Previous to b32 the zooming worked on discrete steps that were calculated at start up.

With b32 I completely changed the zooming mechanism to be free form. It scales in real time based on a multiplier. That allowed me to completely remove the zoom in-out limits. Try it :) There's still work to do to make the extreme zoom out and extreme zoom in work better, but at least now you don't have a limit.

The only real problem is that the displayed percentage may not be exactly on 1:1, but as far as MT is concerned is close enough, and as close as it's ever been. Only now you have the ability to see the actual numbers. It's tempting to pull it back out, or change the way it is presented so as not to create confusion.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote: With b32 I completely changed the zooming mechanism to be free form. It scales in real time based on a multiplier. That allowed me to completely remove the zoom in-out limits. Try it :)
OK, I did, and it ROCKS! :)
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?p=47151#47151

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:The only real problem is that the displayed percentage may not be exactly on 1:1, but as far as MT is concerned is close enough, and as close as it's ever been. Only now you have the ability to see the actual numbers. It's tempting to pull it back out, or change the way it is presented so as not to create confusion.
Trevor - I just sent you patch that fixes this.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trevor wrote:It's tempting to pull it back out, or change the way it is presented so as not to create confusion.
I think the real confusion is that the 100% number is really just based off of the background map. But given the various resolutions and free-sizing that often goes on with all the other layers/objects, the "zoom level" is often not displaying an accurate zoom of the things you may be focused on.

Perhaps it's not particularly useful to know what it is...

biodude
Dragon

Post by biodude »

Ryss wrote:wooo-hooo!
I'm glad that you mostly like b32. And a selfish note: No one has found a bug with macro button panels :wink:
umm .. actually, I mentioned in an early post (perhaps got lost in the middle somewhere) what I thought were bugs, but no one has confirmed or denied them as such :oops::
[

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Sorry you got missed!

I can't comment as someone who knows the code, but I wouldn't want you to get missed again, so I'll chime in on what I can.

-The token tab is not a bug. The ability to add new token macros from the panel (instead of the token itself) is on the roadmap, but is not yet an option.

-I tried the campaign macro thing with an old campaign file and was also unable to get a new button to show up. It appears to be simply one of those "not backwards compatible" things. I hadn't noticed it previous to now simply because I hadn't thought to use the campaign panel yet.

hennebeck
Dragon

Post by hennebeck »

Still not able to save a campaign that has 3 maps.
People had mentioned before that it wouldn't save big files.

How big is big?
What is everyone else's Map resolution and token resolution?

Still won't save or autosave.
It's kinda bad.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I save campaigns with a half-dozen maps all the time.

Instead of asking what everyone else is doing how about telling us what you are trying to do.

Are you loading map images, dropping in map tiles or drawing maps with textures?

If loading them, how big are these maps you are loading?

If using map tiles, how big? How many differnent ones?

If drawing with textures, which ones? The default textures? Ones you pulled off the net somewhere? How big are they and how many of them?

What memory setting are you starting MapTool with? What grid setting are you using?

What does the memory indicator at the bottom of MapTool show when you try to save the campaign?

Did you save it when you had 1 map and 2 maps and then it failed at the 3rd map?

simonutp
Giant

Post by simonutp »

Houra!
Thank you Trevor, light source customization works perfectly!!

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

biodude wrote: * I opened a campaign from the last build (1.3b31), and I can't create new buttons in the Campaign or Token Tabs. No pop-up menu appears when I right-click in the Tokens tab, but perhaps that's normal (edit token macros by double-clicking on the token). However, when I right-click in the Campaign tab, an option to create a 'New Button' appears, but nothing happens when selected. Is this a bug, or an unfortunate consequence of a campaign file from a previous version?
* If I create a new campaign, I can indeed create, edit and delete macros in the Campaign tab, which actually hang around when I create a new campaign or open an old one (from a previous build).
Token tab is not a bug. I'll look into old campaign file importing in b32.

trevor

Post by trevor »

hennebeck wrote:Still not able to save a campaign that has 3 maps.
People had mentioned before that it wouldn't save big files.
How large are your biggest image files ? The save problem is MT trying to encode very large images. I'm working on a resolution to that issue.

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

Ryss wrote:
biodude wrote: * I opened a campaign from the last build (1.3b31), and I can't create new buttons in the Campaign or Token Tabs. No pop-up menu appears when I right-click in the Tokens tab, but perhaps that's normal (edit token macros by double-clicking on the token). However, when I right-click in the Campaign tab, an option to create a 'New Button' appears, but nothing happens when selected. Is this a bug, or an unfortunate consequence of a campaign file from a previous version?
* If I create a new campaign, I can indeed create, edit and delete macros in the Campaign tab, which actually hang around when I create a new campaign or open an old one (from a previous build).
Token tab is not a bug. I'll look into old campaign file importing in b32.
I've verified that if you open an existing b31 campaign in b32 then you cannot add campaign macros. HOWEVER, if you create the buttons in a blank campaign and THEN open a b31 campaign, the campaign buttons remain but you cannot add new ones nor delete the existing ones.
A wandering lost soul

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

Naryt wrote: I've verified that if you open an existing b31 campaign in b32 then you cannot add campaign macros. HOWEVER, if you create the buttons in a blank campaign and THEN open a b31 campaign, the campaign buttons remain but you cannot add new ones nor delete the existing ones.
I didn't have time today to look into it but I know where the problem is. No worries.

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

OK, fixed.

As an addition I was going to advise not to open b32 campaign files with older versions but you can't do it anyway (tested this). Campaign file doesn't get corrupted or nothing scary happens. So this is not an advice, but a notice :)

Return to “Announcements”