InitTool 0.1 Development Release Build 5

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

jay
RPTools Team

InitTool 0.1 Development Release Build 5

Post by jay »

Build 5 of InitTool is now available. It contains:
  • Added support for dragging and dropping from map tool's token panel to init tool and group tool.
  • Changed 'Creature Type' to 'Creature Category'
  • Made code that read the resolve item type to correct itself if the data in the preferences is bad for any reason.
  • Added flag to creature category to indicate if the category is for players or NPC.
  • Fixed bug in manual init dialog if no items matched the manual init critiera.
  • Fixed bug in stopwatch preferences editor.
  • Added support for reset which will clear the round counter and the players, npcs, and/or the timers
The drag and drop support only works with build 10 of map tool 1.1. Build 5 of init tool and build 10 of map tool 1.1 together support dragging and dopping in both directions: To the map from the group tool and from the token panel to both the init and group tools.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I like it. :-)

I'm just now getting to the user defined fields. Great stuff.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Phergus
Deity

Re: InitTool 0.1 Development Release Build 5

Post by Phergus »

Excellent update!
jay wrote:Added support for dragging and dropping from map tool's token panel to init tool and group tool.
Very cool!

Minor issue: You can't drop into an empty group.

If you pick up a token in Group Tools and drop it elsewhere it duplicates the creature. Being able to duplicate could be handy but I'm not sure that is the way to do it. :)
jay wrote:Added support for reset which will clear the round counter and the players, npcs, and/or the timers
Looks perfect!

Minor issue: The turn indicator (checkmark) stays on the item after the encounter is reset.

The tokens that are dropped into InitTool all come in as Monsters but making them all Players wouldn't be any better. I don't know if there is a simple, clean solution for this.

Need a way to drag an entire Group from IT to MT and vice-versa.

What if the Groups list in IT had an icon (first creature in Group list) that worked like stacked tokens in MT?

Or maybe just an menu option in Groups that allowed you to Send Group to MapTool.

Wouldn't mind seing a Right-Click option for tokens in MT for Send To... (InitTool / GroupTool)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Minor issue: You can't drop into an empty group.
This is a bug, I'll add a tracker.
Phergus wrote:If you pick up a token in Group Tools and drop it elsewhere it duplicates the creature. Being able to duplicate could be handy but I'm not sure that is the way to do it. :)
Actually that is exactly what I wanted to happen. The count in a group is set up to create all of the creatures that are in the encounter. So when you drag it to IT you get the number of combatants specified in the count added to it. Same applies to MT. Neither MT or IT currently have the concept of a group, so the individual creatures are extracted.
What were you thinking it should do instead?
Phergus wrote:The turn indicator (checkmark) stays on the item after the encounter is reset.
I'm not able to recreate this one. Was there something specific that you were doing?
Phergus wrote:The tokens that are dropped into InitTool all come in as Monsters but making them all Players wouldn't be any better. I don't know if there is a simple, clean solution for this.
You can set the category for the individual creatures in the group. If those categories are configured in IT, they will be set on the combatants that are added.
Phergus wrote:Need a way to drag an entire Group from IT to MT and vice-versa.
You can drag from MT to IT now. Just do a multiple select in the token panel and drag them to the IT or GT. I didn't set it up to drag from IT to anything else because you can't do multiple selects from IT and dragging one at a time is a pain. My use cases were to set up encounters ahead of time in group tool and if a random encounter occurs all the token can be dragged from map tool. I didn't see a purpos in setting up an encounter then dragging it to anything else, especially since you can only drag one at a time. Changing the IT from single select will make it harder to understand, something I'm trying to stay away from.
Phergus wrote:What if the Groups list in IT had an icon (first creature in Group list) that worked like stacked tokens in MT?
If I am understanding what you are saying, that is the way it works. You drag a group to MT, and it will make a stack of tokens.

Hmmmm.... When I test it here at work I can't seem to get this to happen. It is showing as a valid drag copy, but it isn't creating the icons. I need to look into this some more. I'll add that to the bug tracker.
Phergus wrote:Or maybe just an menu option in Groups that allowed you to Send Group to MapTool.

Wouldn't mind seing a Right-Click option for tokens in MT for Send To... (InitTool / GroupTool)
This will have to wait for tighter integration between MT and IT. Right now they have no knowledge of each other, so no pushing from one to the other. I already have a tracker for integrating more tightly with MT, I'll add this to the list of things to do.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:If you pick up a token in Group Tools and drop it elsewhere it duplicates the creature.
Actually that is exactly what I wanted to happen. The count in a group is set up to create all of the creatures that are in the encounter. So when you drag it to IT you get the number of combatants specified in the count added to it. Same applies to MT. Neither MT or IT currently have the concept of a group, so the individual creatures are extracted.
What were you thinking it should do instead?
Ahh. I wasn't clear. I meant drop it within the Group window itself. Wasn't thinking it would do anything. I'm just a klutz. :)

The described behavior makes perfect sense.

And did I forget to mention that the delete is throwing an exception in the Group window:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: javax.swing.ImageIcon
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.EditGroupsActions$4.actionPerformed(EditGroupsActions.java:169)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:The turn indicator (checkmark) stays on the item after the encounter is reset.
I'm not able to recreate this one. Was there something specific that you were doing?
This seems tp reliably produce it:
* Open InitTool (duh) and select Table View.
* Open Group Window
* In InitTool Add Group to Encounter
* Click on Next Initiative button a few times to go through a turn or two
* Select Reset Encounter (only Remove Timers checked)
* Note that Checkmark is still on the last Item
jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:The tokens that are dropped into InitTool all come in as Monsters but making them all Players wouldn't be any better. I don't know if there is a simple, clean solution for this.
You can set the category for the individual creatures in the group. If those categories are configured in IT, they will be set on the combatants that are added.
Uhm. Ahh. Didn't specify that this was from MT to IT/Group and not from Group to IT. For now it is no big deal as I'm more likely to be dragging monsters from MT to IT and players from IT to MT.
jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:Need a way to drag an entire Group from IT to MT and vice-versa.
You can drag from MT to IT now. Just do a multiple select in the token panel and drag them to the IT or GT.
Apparently I'm having selection issues as it seems like I need to select the group. Then release the mouse button and then select again or I don't get the little indicator. If I have it it works.

This also happens when trying to select just one critter in the Working Group area. I click-drag but no indicator. I re-click, drag, nada. Then finally it works. Or sometimes it works the first time. I haven't seen a pattern to it yet.
jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:What if the Groups list in IT had an icon (first creature in Group list) that worked like stacked tokens in MT?
If I am understanding what you are saying, that is the way it works. You drag a group to MT, and it will make a stack of tokens.

Hmmmm.... When I test it here at work I can't seem to get this to happen. It is showing as a valid drag copy, but it isn't creating the icons. I need to look into this some more. I'll add that to the bug tracker.
I did manage to get it to work just now but it took several attempts and I don't know what I did to get it to do it.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:Ahh. I wasn't clear. I meant drop it within the Group window itself. Wasn't thinking it would do anything. I'm just a klutz. :)
Now I see what you mean. This is a bug, I'll add the comments to the tracker. Note that this also happens in maptool when you drag from the token panel to the map itself. I'll fix both problems.
Phergus wrote:And did I forget to mention that the delete is throwing an exception in the Group window:
Yes, you did :) I found it this morning and it will be fixed in the next build.
Phergus wrote:This seems tp reliably produce it:
* Open InitTool (duh) and select Table View.
* Open Group Window
* In InitTool Add Group to Encounter
* Click on Next Initiative button a few times to go through a turn or two
* Select Reset Encounter (only Remove Timers checked)
* Note that Checkmark is still on the last Item
Thanks!
Phergus wrote:Uhm. Ahh. Didn't specify that this was from MT to IT/Group and not from Group to IT. For now it is no big deal as I'm more likely to be dragging monsters from MT to IT and players from IT to MT.
I just guess the types, and right now I can only guess player if the creature is assigned an owner and monster if it isn't. Maybe when we have the character tool support it could include this type of data as well.
Phergus wrote:Apparently I'm having selection issues as it seems like I need to select the group. Then release the mouse button and then select again or I don't get the little indicator. If I have it it works.

This also happens when trying to select just one critter in the Working Group area. I click-drag but no indicator. I re-click, drag, nada. Then finally it works. Or sometimes it works the first time. I haven't seen a pattern to it yet.
This is the way it works in the underlying components. I had a little problem figuring this out as well. You have to select something in a table or a list first, then you can click on the selected thing (or one of the selected things) and drag it. There really isn't an easy way to fix it, the L&F is eating the mouse events before the drag and drop code can get to it.
Phergus wrote:I did manage to get it to work just now but it took several attempts and I don't know what I did to get it to do it.
The drag seems to be working fine, but I've not upgraded to the latest build of MT. I'll try that next.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:Apparently I'm having selection issues as it seems like I need to select the group. Then release the mouse button and then select again or I don't get the little indicator. If I have it it works.
This is the way it works in the underlying components. I had a little problem figuring this out as well. You have to select something in a table or a list first, then you can click on the selected thing (or one of the selected things) and drag it. There really isn't an easy way to fix it, the L&F is eating the mouse events before the drag and drop code can get to it.
That makes sense.
jay wrote:
Phergus wrote:I did manage to get it to work just now but it took several attempts and I don't know what I did to get it to do it.
The drag seems to be working fine, but I've not upgraded to the latest build of MT. I'll try that next.
Probably the same issue getting me on this one as well. I'll just learn to be more deliberate when I make selections.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

jay wrote:
I upgraded to the latest version of MT and my drag & drop stuff stopped transferring data. I looked at the code and nothing was changed. I ran it through the debugger and found that no data is being passed. Don't know why, just isn't. I'll have to look at this some more.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

jay wrote:
jay wrote:
I upgraded to the latest version of MT and my drag & drop stuff stopped transferring data. I looked at the code and nothing was changed. I ran it through the debugger and found that no data is being passed. Don't know why, just isn't. I'll have to look at this some more.
How strange. It does work at times but is quite finicky.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Ok, I've figured it out: I'm an idiot. :oops:
When you drop group data on to map tool it has to have a token image defined in GT or you get no token in MT. Obviously we need to do something a little more informative. How would y'all like this case handled? Some possibilities:
  • Make it show the no-drag icon when no icons are going to be created. You'll still have the problem of not knowing why you can't drop.
  • Add the tokens with broken images. Last time I checked, there wasn't any way to change a token in MT. Probably need to fix that too if we did it this way.
  • Leave it the way it is now, but show a dialog as to what happened on the other side.
Any preferences?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Some type of error dialog to the effect of "Can't drag X. No icon associated." would be good for the time-being.

Ideally if a default icon could be provided from IT that would be good and then have some new function in MT to "Copy to New Token" to move the character/creature info to the right token.

How about when the drop is done in MT that you get prompted for a token for each one?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Phergus wrote: How about when the drop is done in MT that you get prompted for a token for each one?
With a "I'm an idiot and didn't mean to drop these yet" cancel button to abort the operation :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

RPTroll wrote:With a "I'm an idiot and didn't mean to drop these yet" cancel button to abort the operation :-)
Yeah. I expect I'll need that as well.

:)

Return to “Announcements”