MapTool 1.3 Development Build 34

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

Naryt wrote:
wrathchild wrote:afaict, new folders don't show up untill you restart maptool. Known issues I believe, just a sort of reminder :)
I think, if I remember right, you can get around this by opening a different folder and coming back to the folder where the new subfolder was created. Same goes for newly added items in an existing resource folder.
I think I have tried that, and it didn't seem to do the trick. It works for individual images, but not folders, at my end.
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

wrathchild wrote:
Naryt wrote:
wrathchild wrote:afaict, new folders don't show up untill you restart maptool. Known issues I believe, just a sort of reminder :)
I think, if I remember right, you can get around this by opening a different folder and coming back to the folder where the new subfolder was created. Same goes for newly added items in an existing resource folder.
I think I have tried that, and it didn't seem to do the trick. It works for individual images, but not folders, at my end.
You are correct, b34 doesn't show the new folder. (I know better than to assume something without checking first.)
A wandering lost soul

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

So we hit a bug in the last session that was quite curious indeed. So far, I have been unable to reproduce this one, but I thought I'd document it here as a "wow, look what happened!" note.

After ending his movement, one of my player's token seemed to "fall through the world." It just completely vanished! Then when he hit ctrl-i to try to reveal his vision (hoping that would bring his character back), it instead revealed the entire map to all players, for a very brief time, cancelling all fog of war and all VBL. Almost immediately after that, the fog of war came back, as did the VBL, and the players could no longer see the layout of the rest of the map. Very odd. When I checked the map explorer, his token was no longer there, poof! So we added a new token in for him, and continued play as normal, without any further bugs.

Good luck finding this one :P

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Weird.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Thanks for the info Ryss. I'm using vista premium 32bit.
Ryss wrote:Apparently you are using an older version of MT. I've fixed this in b34 I believe.
I'm 99% sure i've been using b34 i never really used b33 hardly at all since 34 came out so quickly to fix all the bugs. I will attempt to duplicate the buttons dissapearing. I thinking back they may not have dissapeared on the first save and coming back. I think I had saved and closed it several times then coming back to work on it. One of the times they didn't come up. I'll see what i can do.

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

After loading a campaign that has some campaign macros defined in it and try resizing the macro panel (or main MT window). There is a graphics bug reported where the panels don't update themselves after adding new buttons. Resizing will force an update.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Mathemagician wrote:After ending his movement, one of my player's token seemed to "fall through the world." It just completely vanished! Then when he hit ctrl-i to try to reveal his vision (hoping that would bring his character back), it instead revealed the entire map to all players, for a very brief time, cancelling all fog of war and all VBL. Almost immediately after that, the fog of war came back, as did the VBL, and the players could no longer see the layout of the rest of the map. Very odd. When I checked the map explorer, his token was no longer there, poof! So we added a new token in for him, and continued play as normal, without any further bugs.

Man, I hate those kinds of bugs...

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Mathemagician wrote: After ending his movement, one of my player's token seemed to "fall through the world." It just completely vanished! Then when he hit ctrl-i to try to reveal his vision (hoping that would bring his character back), it instead revealed the entire map to all players, for a very brief time, cancelling all fog of war and all VBL. Almost immediately after that, the fog of war came back, as did the VBL, and the players could no longer see the layout of the rest of the map. Very odd. When I checked the map explorer, his token was no longer there, poof! So we added a new token in for him, and continued play as normal, without any further bugs.
Whoah, that's freaky !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

trevor wrote:Whoah, that's freaky !
Doesn't that just instill you with confidence that this particular bug will be tracked down toot sweet? :P

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

UntoldGlory wrote:
Doesn't that just instill you with confidence that this particular bug will be tracked down toot sweet? :P

Yeah one of those phases you never like to here out of developer. My personal favorite I have used on users in the past.

"Wow, that cool... I have no idea why it did it."

The look on the users face was classic.
--
Big Mac

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Big_Mac wrote: Yeah one of those phases you never like to here out of developer.
My personal favorite:

"Why'd you break it ?"
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

sceptyc
Kobold

Wow, same thing

Post by sceptyc »

Mathemagician wrote:So we hit a bug in the last session that was quite curious indeed. So far, I have been unable to reproduce this one, but I thought I'd document it here as a "wow, look what happened!" note.

After ending his movement, one of my player's token seemed to "fall through the world." It just completely vanished! Then when he hit ctrl-i to try to reveal his vision (hoping that would bring his character back), it instead revealed the entire map to all players, for a very brief time, cancelling all fog of war and all VBL. Almost immediately after that, the fog of war came back, as did the VBL, and the players could no longer see the layout of the rest of the map. Very odd. When I checked the map explorer, his token was no longer there, poof! So we added a new token in for him, and continued play as normal, without any further bugs.

This exact same thing happened to my group last weekend -- though I don't know exactly how the event you described was triggered for us.

The result was the same however: the whole map was revealed and the VBL was just gone. I did not really wait to see if FOW or the VBL returned. I dumped the map and reloaded the campaign. It hasn't happened again, thankfully. I will pay closer attention if there is a next time.

Just thought I would mention that that your experience was not an isolated one Mathemagician.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Big_Mac wrote:
Yeah one of those phases you never like to here out of developer.
In a software company I previously worked for whose name I will not mention here, I had an interesting conversation with the lead designer/developer of one of the products about a nasty problem it had. This product lets call it B was an add on to a larger product A to add functionality.

Product A would send out messages about deleted records that other products would want to know about. But product B just ignored a certain category of deletes, which led to a huge problem, next time product B was restated after shutdown for backup or what ever it would fall over with a huge exception message that was useless and provided no clue as to what the problem was, all because it still had a reference to the record that was deleted.

After bringing this to the attention of the lead designer/developer about this his response was "Yes we know, we don't delete the record on our side because we really don't know how we would do it as there are so many rules to consider so we just ignore it."

When I pointed out this leads to their product not being able to start and failing in a very ungraceful and hard to figure out what is going out manner his response was. "My product is not at fault, its working fine, people should be more careful about what they delete".

Neither of his comments give you much hope that its going to be fixed soon. Its now over 2 years later with a couple new releases and a multitude of new patches and nothing has been done to address it. Its not even listed as a known issue in the product manuals or release notes.

And this was not a small company but part of a very large software company.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Big_Mac wrote:
UntoldGlory wrote:

Yeah one of those phases you never like to here out of developer. My personal favorite I have used on users in the past.

"Wow, that cool... I have no idea why it did it."

The look on the users face was classic.
In a software company I previously worked for whose name I will not mention here, I had an interesting conversation with the lead designer/developer of one of the products about a nasty problem it had. This product lets call it B was an add on to a larger product A to add functionality.

Product A would send out messages about deleted records that other products would want to know about. But product B just ignored a certain category of deletes, which led to a huge problem, next time product B was restated after shutdown for backup or what ever it would fall over with a huge exception message that was useless and provided no clue as to what the problem was, all because it still had a reference to the record that was deleted.

After bringing this to the attention of the lead designer/developer about this his response was "Yes we know, we don't delete the record on our side because we really don't know how we would do it as there are so many rules to consider so we just ignore it."

When I pointed out this leads to their product not being able to start and failing in a very ungraceful and hard to figure out what is going out manner his response was. "My product is not at fault, its working fine, people should be more careful about what they delete".

Neither of his comments give you much hope that its going to be fixed soon. Its now over 2 years later with a couple new releases and a multitude of new patches and nothing has been done to address it. Its not even listed as a known issue in the product manuals or release notes.

And this was not a small company but part of a very large software company.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Nice. The "head in the sand" response...

Warning: Joke Following! Do not take as critisicm, only playful ribbing!

Kinda like trevor and the "My token is a big red ?" bug! :P

Return to “Announcements”