MapTool 1.1 Development Release Build 11

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.1 Development Release Build 11

Post by trevor »

Couldn't wait to get these new features out to you guys (and fix a Last Path bug) !

Build 11 (7/25/06)
* Restructure method to show/hide the command window
* Fix show last path and revert move bug on group moves
* Middle Mouse click during token move sets a waypoint
* Add macro buttons to command panel

The macro buttons are easy to use:

- Left click to execute
- Right click to set the command (drag-drop support to come later)
- Put a '/' at the end of the command to cause immediate execution (fake an ENTER key at the end)
- Hover over for a tooltip that will show the command text
- Gray buttons are unassigned, orange buttons have a command

NOTE: The commands are not saved at the moment. We need to decide WHERE to put the commands.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Good Stuff! :)
The macro buttons are pretty neat 8)

When you left click to execute, it simply puts the command into the chat box, so you still have to hit enter to have it execute... is this intentional?

I know we can use aliases to speak as the token, but perhaps it would be easier to simply hilight a token and then the applicable commands will be performed "as" that token...

I do like the macro buttons... will speed up chat a whole lot!
Game On!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Emryys wrote:When you left click to execute, it simply puts the command into the chat box, so you still have to hit enter to have it execute... is this intentional?
I haven't tried this new version yet but didn't Trevor say "Put a '/' at the end of the command to cause immediate execution (fake an ENTER key at the end)"?

Give it a try perhaps..

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

First:

This rocks. THANK YOU!
:-)

Yep, a slash / at the end does an enter.

I think the alias file would be a good place for the buttons so you can share and edit easily. Currently the alias file uses a : to seperate the alias from the command. You could use another symbol like # to define a button command, then modify load alias/save alias to load and save buttons as well.

Something like this creates a button and an alias
1#/say Trevor Rocks
ro:/say Rock On

Also, the ability to rename buttons would be nice as well.

Edit:
If buttons are in the alias file, then the buttons are created in the order they exist in the file. One with the same name overwrites and existing buttons definition, something with a new name gets the first unassigned button.

Assigning a button via chat would also come in handy. It should work a lot like the alias command. This would be mostly used for scripting but has some uses in real time so you can up arrow and change a button def on the fly.

Button defs in the alias file could get even more interesting if you start allowing property defs in the like forground and background colors. If you allow for properties, the button name could be one of those so the button identifier keeps 1,2,3,4,5,etc. This way the player has a bit more control over which botton gets what values both in the alias file and 'on the fly' creation'

yet another 2 cents,
Troll
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor

Post by trevor »

I had thought of making the labels editable, but then it occured to me that you would run out of horizontal space very quickly.

I thought maybe support icons instead, but then what icons would be used ? It seemed just as ambiguous as the numbers.

Numbers seemed to take the least amount of space, allowing for the maximum number of buttons to be viewable.

But I'm fully open to discussing how to make the buttons more usable.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

The issue with numbers is that I'll forget what's assigned to them. My plan is to take the NPC's assign attack and damage rolls then addin the monsters as well. By the time I get to 18 buttons there's no way I'll remember what's there. I would use one or two letters as a reminder so that 'Valathe Attack' would show up as VA on the button lable.

I also had the thought of icons on the buttons as an optional property. That way you could put a shrunk down token on there so you can remember what's programmed on the button at a glance but thought that was asking a bit much. :-)

trevor

Post by trevor »

I suppose a couple letters won't change the size much.

I could drop this ability in and see what happens.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Trevor, thanks for the quickest update ever!

I didn't have a chance to play with it yet due to a busy work day but I wanted to thank you. Thanks for the middle click :)

!!!THANK YOU!!!

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

I think that maptool now has enough settings to have it create some sort of special file in it's directory to save them all in one place, so that you have a complete list of all your aliases, your settings, custom states, macros, the works all in one place. just a suggestion.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

trevor

Post by trevor »

brisingre wrote:I think that maptool now has enough settings to have it create some sort of special file in it's directory to save them all in one place, so that you have a complete list of all your aliases, your settings, custom states, macros, the works all in one place. just a suggestion.
And a good one. I was starting to think the same thing. I was thinking of doing something like Eclipse does with Export. That is, you say something like File->Export, which brings up a wizard. in our case it will be preferences, and it will ask which preferences do you want to export:

- UI layout
- Aliases
- Chat macros
- whatever

So you can selectively pick which items you want to export to a file. Then there would be a corresponding import that would load the file.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:So you can selectively pick which items you want to export to a file. Then there would be a corresponding import that would load the file.
This could prove very handy :)
Game On!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Very handy indeed. A community site (similar to the gallaries) with handy macros, aliases and layouts would be cool. Plugins would eventually go here as well.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Tracker added.

Return to “Announcements”