MapTool 1.3 Development Build 37

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Zandari
Cave Troll

Post by Zandari »

Amaril wrote:I assume with all of these macro issues that vision and lighting is on the backburner again. :(

I'm not big on Macro use, although it seems interesting, but it seems to be what has absorbed all of the work on the last two builds.
I'm with you, Amaril. Since I use this program primarily as a replacement for maps by projecting on the wall, I don't much care about the macro bits. On the other hand, if we could get blocky vision back, and toss in the addition of projector mode, I would just about explode with joy.

kat2cute
Dragon

Post by kat2cute »

n3phrit wrote:trevor, pls what about my reply from Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:33 pm?
am I doing something wrong?

thanks for answer.
It still isn't clear exactly what could be going wrong. So you are dropping an image from your library onto the map then adding properties, notes AND macros to it. Then you are right-click, Save as, and giving it a name putting it in a location that is accessible to your resource library, correct? Once you find the savedtoken in it's new location (not the original image) you are opening it and all notes, macros AND properties are gone? If it was just properties missing, it could be because you were using a different campaign properties file and forgot to import it when you opened maptool again. However, if everything is missing, I recommend emailing the suspect savedtokens to Trevor.
In the meantime, check out more of the tutorials. If it is something such as missing campaign properties and not a bug, they will help you.
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

[BugReport]

Okay, I aplogize that this BR isn't very clearly defined, but it was a hectic session, and I can't seem them replicate it when I am solo

1) Editing macros. Edited macros for one char from both the selection panel (right click) and from the old school macro properties. It kept reverting. I *think* though that this was likely caused by somone messing with his token while I was editing it. Is it possible that while editing is going on it could temporarily remove ownership for anyone but the person editing it?

2) Snap-back. I had one player who had his token "snap back" to it's location and properties values that it had at the beggining of the fight. I have ZERO explanation as to possible cause. But where he was (location on map), the values I'd put in for a weapon he'd picked up, his HP, everything reverted to the point right before I had them roll initiative. Happened twice, about 20min sperate from each other.

There seemed to be a couple other things, but I think those were more user error on my players side than anything.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Aria wrote:Amaril, Trevor isn't working on the macro's nearly as much as Ryss is. Ryss doesn't have anything to do with the lighting problems.
I understand that, but I've seen no mention of lighting in the latest development threads, and I've seen lots of discussion about macros and token properties.

My point is that I'm just disappointed to see lighting/vision on hold, including correcting darkvision interaction, blocky vision, which we one enjoyed, as well as the player's current view only option.

I'm not complaining about this kick @#$ free product; I'm just stating my observations and disappointments.

n3phrit
Cave Troll

Post by n3phrit »

OK. I got it finally. I almost lost my nerves to this and I find it super-user-unfriendly, but I know. its free and besides, it makes a lot of good things :)

Token file is saved as a separate NON-LINKED file which has nothing common with the icon it was created with... This was the most important to understand for me. I previously thought, that If I drop token image on the map and then I edit its properties, it creates a link with this icon, so whenever this icon is dropped on the map again it automatically loads its statistics from WHATEVER location. So my fault.

Anyway. I found unability to modify token-state-icons after the campaign file has been saved very annoying. any reason for this?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Amaril wrote: My point is that I'm just disappointed to see lighting/vision on hold, including correcting darkvision interaction, blocky vision, which we one enjoyed, as well as the player's current view only option..
I know how you feel though amaril. Lighting and vision is the #1 thing I have ever wanted since the day I discovered MT in 2006. Then to see it hit #1 on the wall of features set the impression that it would have been the #1 most priority and implemented / finished soon after. I know; every single release that comes out, I excitingly look and then get sad that it isn't fixed yet. It is disapointing to a certain degree especially when we have our games depending on it.

But I have to stick up for trever and state that all this vision stuff is not easy to implement. It is probably one of the most difficult aspect of maptool to develop. There are so many gotchas and things to carefully plan well before even hitting the code -- it isn't easy in the slightest, thus the reason we are the only released VT that has it atm.

I talk to Trevor all the time. He and I can't wait for lighting and vision to be complete, mainly so it can be wiped from mind and other exciting features can be focused on. Trust me, we want lighting done.

So you and I and the others who are waiting anxiously each release have to hold tight - Trevor is working on it, if not with his fingers, with is mind. It just takes time. Plus we have to remember that this is a fun hobby for Trevor and his family/job comes first. Man, throw in a few little ones in mix too - I don't know how he does what he does to be honest with you! I have one 6 month old and I have zero time for me it seems. :)

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

dorpond wrote:
Amaril wrote: My point is that I'm just disappointed to see lighting/vision on hold, including correcting darkvision interaction, blocky vision, which we one enjoyed, as well as the player's current view only option..
I know how you feel though amaril. Lighting and vision is the #1 thing I have ever wanted since the day I discovered MT in 2006. Then to see it hit #1 on the wall of features set the impression that it would have been the #1 most priority and implemented / finished soon after. I know; every single release that comes out, I excitingly look and then get sad that it isn't fixed yet. It is disapointing to a certain degree especially when we have our games depending on it.

But I have to stick up for trever and state that all this vision stuff is not easy to implement. It is probably one of the most difficult aspect of maptool to develop. There are so many gotchas and things to carefully plan well before even hitting the code -- it isn't easy in the slightest, thus the reason we are the only released VT that has it atm.

I talk to Trevor all the time. He and I can't wait for lighting and vision to be complete, mainly so it can be wiped from mind and other exciting features can be focused on. Trust me, we want lighting done.

So you and I and the others who are waiting anxiously each release have to hold tight - Trevor is working on it, if not with his fingers, with is mind. It just takes time. Plus we have to remember that this is a fun hobby for Trevor and his family/job comes first. Man, throw in a few little ones in mix too - I don't know how he does what he does to be honest with you! I have one 6 month old and I have zero time for me it seems. :)
I like lighting, and it's an exciting feature. I have to say that from my perspective I suspect that there are certain things that we are trying to do with it that would be much easier if we had already switched over to the 3D engine that has been tossed around. That said, I'm one of the culprits that pushes for other things occasionally, and that's the problem with a community like this: differing wants. Some of us are happy enough with the lighting as it is that we see other areas as more important, while others are pushing for even more advanced stuff on the lighting.

I personally will probably never use lighting more advanced than what was available several builds ago, and the only concern for me is performance.

So my primary concerns are in scripting and other areas. But if lighting continues to seriously bother Trevor and some others, then I'm all for getting the bugs out so that we can move on. I positively hate the idea of leaving a feature have finished. That's annoying.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Amaril wrote:
Aria wrote:Amaril, Trevor isn't working on the macro's nearly as much as Ryss is. Ryss doesn't have anything to do with the lighting problems.
I understand that, but I've seen no mention of lighting in the latest development threads, and I've seen lots of discussion about macros and token properties.

My point is that I'm just disappointed to see lighting/vision on hold, including correcting darkvision interaction, blocky vision, which we one enjoyed, as well as the player's current view only option.

I'm not complaining about this kick @#$ free product; I'm just stating my observations and disappointments.
Again, Ryss is the one doing macro's. He has nothing to do with light or vision. We'd be in the same boat right now if Ryss wasn't doing anything at all.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Aria wrote:
Amaril wrote:

Again, Ryss is the one doing macro's. He has nothing to do with light or vision. We'd be in the same boat right now if Ryss wasn't doing anything at all.
Again, I understand that. I'm just expressing my personal disappointment, which is not a criticism of trevor or his work.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

[Bug Report]

If you look at the bottom of the selection panel then you can see just the tops of two buttons. I can't scroll down any farther to access them (though there's just enough sticking up to activate them). If I pull off the global panel (so that it's just selection and impersonate) then the buttons are viewable.

Also, if I impersonate the token, with the panels laid out as show, I also cannot access the bottom buttons on the impersonate window.

If it's not obvious, the panels are stuck to the right side, not freefloating.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

UntoldGlory wrote:[Bug Report]

If you look at the bottom of the selection panel then you can see just the tops of two buttons. I can't scroll down any farther to access them (though there's just enough sticking up to activate them). If I pull off the global panel (so that it's just selection and impersonate) then the buttons are viewable.

Also, if I impersonate the token, with the panels laid out as show, I also cannot access the bottom buttons on the impersonate window.

If it's not obvious, the panels are stuck to the right side, not freefloating.
I've seen this as well, with the panel in a number of other places. Definitely a bug, and not just in his head or limited to his computer. And highly annoying.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

n3phrit
Cave Troll

here I go again

Post by n3phrit »

oh god, I am getting mad from this program :) (still smiling tho...)

I made a new campaign, then token-property list then saved campaign.
Then I edit sight and again saved campaign. after that I am no longer able to modify light setup nor states tab (OK doesnt work). any reason for that?

I come to this situation pretty easily, Ive created a campaign with some preferences and properties, but later as I undetstood macros, I decided to extend my token property setup, but since that moment I am just not able create and modify new campaign. I already deleted previous campaign save file, cached files, but I just cannt edit new campaign. I am lost. any help?

kat2cute
Dragon

Re: here I go again

Post by kat2cute »

n3phrit wrote:oh god, I am getting mad from this program :) (still smiling tho...)

I made a new campaign, then token-property list then saved campaign.
Then I edit sight and again saved campaign. after that I am no longer able to modify light setup nor states tab (OK doesnt work). any reason for that?

I come to this situation pretty easily, Ive created a campaign with some preferences and properties, but later as I undetstood macros, I decided to extend my token property setup, but since that moment I am just not able create and modify new campaign. I already deleted previous campaign save file, cached files, but I just cannt edit new campaign. I am lost. any help?
No need to get angry. Read through the documentation more and watch ALL of Brad's tutorials and you will be an expert in no time.
http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptooldoc_1_3:intro

I'm thinking this is another user-error rather than bug. When dealing with Campaign properties and editing them, you do realize you have to hit the update button on the token properties tab in order for your changes to 'stick' (otherwise it reverts back to the unchanged version). Same as when you open Maptool, defaults to the original BASIC campaign properties file and you have to IMPORT the edited file you created (and had saved with EXPORT). Just saving the campaign (without UPDATING token properties) does not save changes to token properties. If this doesn't fix your problem, give some more details about how you can't seem to edit the tabs - aka, are the text boxes gone, does it freeze the program, do the changes not stick. And seriously, watch Brad's tutorials.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: here I go again

Post by Full Bleed »

The Properties window is *not user friendly* at all. So I can identify with the confusion and annoyance n3phrit is experiencing. Too many things in MT have to be imported, exported, and updated in special ways to "retain" or find previously established settings and configurations.

The way the properties window is set up now, even once you figure out how to create a new custom properties profile it's not at all clear that it will not appear in the big "Token Type" box (which should probably be called "Property Lists" or "Property Profiles") without having to "Import" the file you should have "Exported" when you created it.

kat2cute wrote:I'm thinking this is another user-error rather than bug. When dealing with Campaign properties and editing them, you do realize you have to hit the update button on the token properties tab in order for your changes to 'stick' (otherwise it reverts back to the unchanged version).
This is bit of an over-sight on MT's part. Closing out the properties window should assume an "Update" is desired if a change was made.

Same as when you open Maptool, defaults to the original BASIC campaign properties file and you have to IMPORT the edited file you created (and had saved with EXPORT). Just saving the campaign (without UPDATING token properties) does not save changes to token properties.
I think it would be nice to be able to set a new Property List as default so some of this confusion could be bypassed. More people will consistently use the same custom profile than those who need to change it with every loading of the program.

And I also think "Import" should be changed to "Load Property List" and "Export" should be changed to "Save Property List."

kat2cute
Dragon

Post by kat2cute »

Totally agree that all those changes to Campaign properties would be nice Full Bleed. Just explaining the way it works now as they don't help N3phit any until actually implemented. Hope someone can get these changes made before 1.3 is finalized.

Return to “Announcements”