MapTool 1.3 Development Build 39

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Full Bleed wrote:I have also been wrestling with how some states look when their orientation changes with top-down token rotation. Basically, I'm often not crazy about how it looks and was wondering if there could be some kind of option put in to lock lock their orientation?
I'm not sure how easy that might be to do. All of the drawing is based on the location of the token right now. I can see how the images wouldn't do well with the rotation. Let me think about this some more. Is anybody else interested in non-rotating token states? I would probably have to be a global option that applied to all tokens and for all states.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Whew, this thread is exhausting :)

I suppose the only way to escape is to call "mercy" and make a new build ;)

I'm working on getting one out.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

BigO
Dragon

Post by BigO »

trevor wrote:Whew, this thread is exhausting :)

I suppose the only way to escape is to call "mercy" and make a new build ;)

I'm working on getting one out.
Woo Hoo!!!!
--O

I am a small and fragile flower.
http://maptool.rocks.andyousuck.com

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:I'm sure you've seen the reports before of lockups when trying to Add to Resource Library. I wonder if there is a connection between the use of external USB drives or maybe thumb drives on the other systems.
It seems like when I've heard this before that it usually gets chalked up to "people not waiting long enough while MT builds up the new assets" or something along those lines.

In these two cases, MT froze before I could even add a new path... so that seemed like relevant information about the exact point where the freezing is occurring... *before* the "Load Asset Tree" window even comes up.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jay wrote:I'm not sure how easy that might be to do. All of the drawing is based on the location of the token right now. I can see how the images wouldn't do well with the rotation.
Especially the health bars... sometimes they drain up, down, right, and left... ;) But, really, just about all of the nifty ones that AidyBaby created translated rather badly with top-down rotation.

I've actually managed to find a bunch that do fine, but when the health bars came up, it became somewhat problematic.

I would probably have to be a global option that applied to all tokens and for all states.
Yeah, I assumed as much. I'd be totally cool with that.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

n3phrit wrote:i think playing RPG remotely is perverse. I am not sure what kind of atmosphere could be during that session, and I definitely think that seeing your players face to face is an essential condition for good gameplay.
Maybe this opinion makes me that focused on some features of MT. sorry about that.
Huh.

I know BigO weighed in on this, but since I AM his DM that lives a thousand miles away from him (give or take a few, let me inform you of a few things of which you seem to be woefully unaware. Think of this as an education opportunity:

I live in Doylestown PA.
BigO lives in Wisconson.
Player2 lives in Kansas City MO.
Player 3 lives in Bryan OH.
Players 4 & 5 live in Louisville KY (they are married to each other, so are the ONLY ones that have face time).

Seeing your players face to face is nice, and it's one of the reasons that I REALLY wanted a good multipoint videoclient for my games (and I'm pretty ticked that it doesn't exist--ooVoo is okay, but the free version doesn't handle enough people! Mebeam is not a good solution, I'm going to TRY Four Ugly Monster's again, but the web-based solutions are not good! I want a local solution that can resize the video down to thumbnail size for use while I focus on maptool!). When ooVoo was free, it felt MUCH like a F2F game, and in some ways was better.

The more recent session was a bit less that way, but let's just say that there are a number of folks here that are using MapTool exclusively for remote games, and that for some of us, that's the only thing that let's us play.

If I can't play remotely, I CAN'T PLAY!
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:I assume you put code in the mouseover to make sure the person doing the mouseover is GM or token owner?
Currently there isn't any difference in behavior between GM & Player modes. So it pops up for everybody. Is this something that is needed? If so, just on mouseover states or for all of the states

Well.. think about it in the "health bar" arena. If someone puts Healthbars states on "enemies" then all players could see them by default. I guess an improvement that I think tons of people would love to see on the token states is a "GMOnly" flag. That way, any state could be set to show only to the GM. This would allow the health bars to be set and the GM to see how healthy each is at a glance (or mouseover) but keep the players in the dark as the monsters health status.

jay wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:There is something about paint order in the checking comment, but I don't see anything in the UI as to how to control this, is it just as simple as the order of the states in the list? And how would that work in groups?
The paint order is exactly the same as shown in the campaign properties. This is regardless of the groups defined.

Thats good to know.... Probably needs to be documented to make sure GM's set up their states correctly.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

kat2cute
Dragon

Post by kat2cute »

jay wrote:I'm not sure how easy that might be to do. All of the drawing is based on the location of the token right now. I can see how the images wouldn't do well with the rotation. Let me think about this some more. Is anybody else interested in non-rotating token states? I would probably have to be a global option that applied to all tokens and for all states.
I'd be very interested in a check-box in the campaign properties where you would select if all of the token states rotated with the token or not. With all but one my states, I don't want them to rotate (and even with the other one, rotating the state still doesn't look correct).
Quote from an underwater D&D fight:
Alright fighter, it's your turn. What do you do?
Fighter: What do you think I do? I FAIL MY F**KING SWIM CHECK

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Phergus wrote:I'm sure you've seen the reports before of lockups when trying to Add to Resource Library. I wonder if there is a connection between the use of external USB drives or maybe thumb drives on the other systems.
It seems like when I've heard this before that it usually gets chalked up to "people not waiting long enough while MT builds up the new assets" or something along those lines.

In these two cases, MT froze before I could even add a new path... so that seemed like relevant information about the exact point where the freezing is occurring... *before* the "Load Asset Tree" window even comes up.
There have been several reports of this occurring. Locking up as soon as the menu item is selected and before the dialog opens.

There have also been cases where it was apparently just taking a while but most people never report back if or when the problem gets solved so you just never know.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The File Chooser that's built into java can be really stupid sometimes and lock itself up under certain configurations. Try removing any external devices and see if that helps.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

trevor wrote:The File Chooser that's built into java can be really stupid sometimes and lock itself up under certain configurations. Try removing any external devices and see if that helps.
Ah, the joys of java...
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

BigO
Dragon

Post by BigO »

Orchard wrote:
trevor wrote:The File Chooser that's built into java can be really stupid sometimes and lock itself up under certain configurations. Try removing any external devices and see if that helps.
Ah, the joys of java...
Joys? I can think of a few other words for it...
--O

I am a small and fragile flower.
http://maptool.rocks.andyousuck.com

Return to “Announcements”