MapTool 1.3 Development Build 39

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.3 Development Build 39

Post by trevor »

The "Adding fuel to the macro fire" build

Build 39 (8/1/08)
* Support multi line macros
* Add "tbl" parser function that does a table lookup just like the /tbl macro (sans the image insertion)
* Fix bug: rolls[] always executed before commands{}
* Fix bug: referenced token properties that are strings must have quotes

Contributed by giliath
* Parser now supports:
!=, ne
true, false
Comments in the form // Comment
Fixed a string bug where the first and last characters of a string were getting dropped

NOTES:

* I had to rebuild the flow of the line parsing in order to fix some of the parsing bugs, so it's possible that I've hosed everything. My quick tests seem OK, but please bang on it and whatever breaks I'll fix and do another build

* The 'tbl()' parser function doesn't handle images currently, it only pulls the "value". Note that it can take one or two parameters, just like the /tbl macro

* You should not have to quote text properties now, in addition you can write any line you want just like on the chat window, so [ ] and { } work to recursively resolve values

* The 'tbl()' function cannot use any of the default dice tables as it tries to resolve the "d*" name into a roll. I need to get with giliath about finding a resolution. In the mean time you could change the table names to "dice*" instead

Please post bugs directly to this post, for discussions about exploration of any feature please create a new thread in the MapTool forum

Happy macro-ing !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Jaybee
Cave Troll

Calling Table from Macro

Post by Jaybee »

Hi Trevor,
Sorry to be a pain but I have no idea how to use the above mentioned info.
How would I call a table called tblHitLoc from a Macro?

Code: Select all

{tbl (tblHitLoc)}
Doesn't work...but I expected nothing less but don't know why!
Also:
Basic code like this

<span title="[Roll = d20][Hit = Roll + 5][Crit = max(0, Roll-19)]"><b>Dagger: [Hit] vs. AC</b> [Crit]</span><br> <span title="[Damage=(1-Crit)*(1d4+3)+Crit*(7)]"><b>Damage: [Damage]</b></span><br><br> <span title="[AP = AP+1]"></span>
doesn't work anymore but I don't know why?
Yes I am daft...sorry.
Thanks.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Awesome work!

I noticed last night with b38 that once we started drawing templates for powers the performance seemed to decrease. I tried resolving this by erasing the templates but performance didn't increase and I also noticed a lot of artifacts remaining from the erased template. Basically a few pixels around the outline so you could tell where it had been.

In previous versions we'd stopped using templates cause we felt the same thing and honestly didn't realize ctrl let you move them once placed. This is the first time since then.

It was fairly early in the night so perhaps the vision stuff just started getting to me (admittedly I did use the polyline) but it seemed like a hard point for some of us.

Any ideas from others whether the template tool is doing it or I'm seeing something else?

trevor

Post by trevor »

put quotes areound "tblHitLoc", otherwise it'll think it's a variable name

what do you get with the second block ?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Was this bug fixed?
Quick summary:

If you update a token's properties via macro, no one sees the updated value until after YOU move the token. If someone else moves the token, the value is reset to what the other person was seeing.
I'm concerned about running b38 for my Friday night game because of it.

Jaybee
Cave Troll

Tables and error with new v39 parser

Post by Jaybee »

trevor wrote:put quotes areound "tblHitLoc", otherwise it'll think it's a variable name

what do you get with the second block ?
Firstly, thanks for the impressive work so far Trevor.

Ok fixed first issue. Using a set of tables similar to:
tblAttDesc:
1,wildly swipes
2,expertly stabs
3,viciously slashes
4,causiosly pokes
5,deftly strikes
6,dangerously swings
7,impressively chops
8,expertly strikes
and referencing them like this:

Ulrich {tbl("tblChrAtt")} and {tbl ("tblAttDesc")} with his <b>Greatsword</b> hitting a {Hit} vs. AC<span title=" "></span><br>His opponent reels back from taking a hit on its  {tbl ("tblHitLoc")} for <b>{Damage)}</b> points of damage.</span>
which in turn should return:
Ulrich creates an opening and viciously slashes with his greatsword htting a 20 vs. AC. His opponent reels back from taking a hit on its torso for 10 pts of damage.
Problem is that is still get a Could not execute the command: null error in Maptools if I run the my full script:

<span title="[Roll = d20][Hit = Roll+Weapon1Bonus+StrBonus+MiscAttBonus][Damage=Weapon1Damage+Weapon1Bonus+StrBonus+MiscAttBonus]">Ulrich {tbl("tblChrAtt")} and {tbl ("tblAttDesc")} with his <b>Greatsword</b> hitting a {Hit} vs. AC<span title=" "></span><br>His opponent reels back from taking a hit on its  {tbl ("tblHitLoc")} for <b>{Damage)}</b> points of damage.</span>
Incidently the tables work fine individually.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Hawke wrote:I noticed last night with b38 that once we started drawing templates for powers the performance seemed to decrease. I tried resolving this by erasing the templates but performance didn't increase and I also noticed a lot of artifacts remaining from the erased template. Basically a few pixels around the outline so you could tell where it had been.

In previous versions we'd stopped using templates cause we felt the same thing and honestly didn't realize ctrl let you move them once placed. This is the first time since then.

It was fairly early in the night so perhaps the vision stuff just started getting to me (admittedly I did use the polyline) but it seemed like a hard point for some of us.
You can move templates by using Control? :shock: :?

I am curious - you are playing 4th edition now, right? I believe that due to the new rules, you are probably dropping templates every round, correct? Then you are erasing them when they are done with, correct?

I could see things getting slower then over time. First thing that might help: never erase templates; Control Z them instead. All my players are conditioned to drop their templates and then when it is over, they automatically Control Z to make it go away. This way there will be no artifacts left on the map. From what I remember with discussions long ago with Trevor, the erase tool doesn't really erase and excessive erasing of stuff is sort of like excessive drawing - it will slow things down over time. That is why the drawing tools need a serious rework and is planned for 1.4.

Keep in mind also that 1.3 is a performance hog atm and towards the end of developement, Trevor profiles MT to make it speedier. He will be starting that phase shortly (he currently has a campaign of mine that is a perfect fit for profiling). That being said, it might be a good idea to send Trevor your slow and clunky campaign file for him to profile.

Little artifacts when erasing templates: Yeah, I just tried an erase and I noticed the same thing. Barely visible lines around the outside edges. Not sure if that is a Jay or Trevor fix.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

dorpond wrote:
Hawke wrote:...and honestly didn't realize ctrl let you move them once placed. This is the first time since then.
Well I'll be! You CAN move Templates by holding control!! Here I am on the team and I never knew that! LOL. How long has them been the case?

Brad, did you know that? If so, I think I'd better start watching your tutorials! :). If not, perhaps you can throw that hidden secret in one of them.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

dorpond wrote:
dorpond wrote:
Hawke wrote:...and honestly didn't realize ctrl let you move them once placed. This is the first time since then.
Well I'll be! You CAN move Templates by holding control!! Here I am on the team and I never knew that! LOL. How long has them been the case?

Brad, did you know that? If so, I think I'd better start watching your tutorials! :). If not, perhaps you can throw that hidden secret in one of them.
I didn't! Though I just tried to test it in b35 and it didn't work. :cry: Instructions please.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

I am trying it in b39 now and still can't. I draw a template. Then I hover over it, press control, click and hold the mouse, and move. The template stays.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

brad wrote:I am trying it in b39 now and still can't. I draw a template. Then I hover over it, press control, click and hold the mouse, and move. The template stays.
I fell victim to the same results when I first tried testing it.

This is how it works: You start to draw the template but before you click the left button to confirm it, that is when you hold down control to move it around. Once you have the place you want it, then you click the left button.

Man, I had no idea and to be honest, not all that intuitive. :P
Trust me though, my friends will know about this next game! :)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 39

Post by jfrazierjr »

trevor wrote: * Fix bug: rolls[] always executed before commands{}
Oooooorrrrrr perhaps another delimiter that will always execute first?
Last edited by jfrazierjr on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

dorpond wrote:
brad wrote:I am trying it in b39 now and still can't. I draw a template. Then I hover over it, press control, click and hold the mouse, and move. The template stays.
I fell victim to the same results when I first tried testing it.

This is how it works: You start to draw the template but before you click the left button to confirm it, that is when you hold down control to move it around. Once you have the place you want it, then you click the left button.

Man, I had no idea and to be honest, not all that intuitive. :P
Trust me though, my friends will know about this next game! :)
Hot diggity!

I'd had no idea.

This will be VERY useful. Does ctrl-shift give micro control over the placement?
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

trevor

Re: Tables and error with new v39 parser

Post by trevor »

Jaybee wrote:Problem is that is still get a Could not execute the command: null error in Maptools if I run the my full script:

<span>Ulrich {tbl("tblChrAtt")} and {tbl ("tblAttDesc")} with his <b>Greatsword</b> hitting a {Hit} vs. AC<span></span><br>His opponent reels back from taking a hit on its  {tbl ("tblHitLoc")} for <b>{Damage)}</b> points of damage.</span>
could you email me your campaign file so I can test with your setup ? trevor at croftfamily dot net

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Wanna hear something funny? We had the ability to move templates in Maptool 1.1 :P

Yeah, I jsut loaded up MT 1.1 and I was able to move the templates. Heh, too funny. All this time and I had no clue.. :)
Last edited by dorpond on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Announcements”