InitTool 1.1 Development Release Build 6

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

jay
RPTools Team

InitTool 1.1 Development Release Build 6

Post by jay »

Build 6 of the 1.1 version of Init Tool is ready for download. This is a mostly a bug fix build. The lookup table in d20 3.5 is now working again.

It also upgrades to the latest version of the parser and dicelib. This means that the logical operators (<, <=, ==, !=, >=, >, &&, || !) are now supported. However the addition of the true and false keywords breaks the true() and false() functions in CT & IT. You should use the TRUE() & FALSE() functions instead. Also, the true & false keywords do not work with CT or IT so they must not be used. Hopefully I can work something out with giliath to remove this restriction, but for now you shouldn't use these keywords. I've fixed the supported game files, but if anybody has created their own or modified an existing game settings file they will need to make this change as well.

Here's the change log:
  • Fixed database bug
  • Fixed combatant lookup table bug
  • Upgraded reset to work with character sheet image support
  • Upgraded to the latest dicelib and parser. Now &&, ||, <, <=, >, >=, ==, !=, ! are supported. The true & false keywords are not supported.
  • The true() & false() functions are no longer supported. Use TRUE() & FALSE() instead.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Sweet! Thanks jay. :)
I cast firecube! ~4E

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

So, can this use the 4E game settings file you posted in the Chartool link?

EDIT: yes, it can. Just tried it.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Yes, it works on IT as well. I've not set up the forms, wait states, categories or timers for IT yet and none of what is there is tested so if you run into any problems just post them here.

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

Actually, I had an epiphany late last night and finally figured out how to make 1.0 do what I wanted, so I haven't played with the 1.1 line much. (I know, I'm slow :) )

A couple of quick things I have noticed and probably missed the forum posts about if any exist:

(Note: my primary tinkering environment is Kubuntu Hardy Heron with ample processor and RAM. My current situation is I'm using MT in a face-to-face game on a second monitor, and using IT to cut down on paper use. All the macro magic in MT is lost on us, I'm afraid :) )

IT 1.1.x will only run if I click on the .jar file - using the shell script fails. I get a splash, and then it quits. Output from a console:
TinyLaF v1.3.03
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
Aug 3, 2008 12:13:05 AM net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractEngineScript <clinit>
INFO: Default JavaScript is not available
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown Script type: JavaScript
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractEngineScript.getEngine(AbstractEngineScript.java:180)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractEngineScript.<clinit>(AbstractEngineScript.java:114)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractScript.<init>(AbstractScript.java:86)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.InvokableScript.<init>(InvokableScript.java:79)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractScript.createScript(AbstractScript.java:196)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertySettingsFile.getNamedScripts(PropertySettingsFile.java:549)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertySettingsFile.loadPropertySettings(PropertySettingsFile.java:685)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.InitToolSettingsFile.loadInitToolGameSettings(InitToolSettingsFile.java:221)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.InitToolGameSettings.loadGameSettings(InitToolGameSettings.java:652)
at net.rptools.inittool.InitTool.loadSettings(InitTool.java:159)
at net.rptools.inittool.InitTool.main(InitTool.java:87)
Aug 3, 2008 12:13:05 AM net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractEngineScript <clinit>
SEVERE: rhino-nonjdk is not available
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown Script type: rhino-nonjdk
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractEngineScript.getEngine(AbstractEngineScript.java:180)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractEngineScript.<clinit>(AbstractEngineScript.java:119)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractScript.<init>(AbstractScript.java:86)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.InvokableScript.<init>(InvokableScript.java:79)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.AbstractScript.createScript(AbstractScript.java:196)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertySettingsFile.getNamedScripts(PropertySettingsFile.java:549)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.property.PropertySettingsFile.loadPropertySettings(PropertySettingsFile.java:685)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.InitToolSettingsFile.loadInitToolGameSettings(InitToolSettingsFile.java:221)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.InitToolGameSettings.loadGameSettings(InitToolGameSettings.java:652)
at net.rptools.inittool.InitTool.loadSettings(InitTool.java:159)
at net.rptools.inittool.InitTool.main(InitTool.java:87)
wolfe@wolfie:~/GameTools/InitTool_1.1.6$
I will freely admit to not knowing anything about how Java works, other than that any update from Java has about a 90% chance of breaking what used to work. Rhino is, however, installed. None of this, however, is a real problem as it adds maybe two clicks to the process of launching the tool. Just thought I'd mention it.

Now, I've got it using the settings file, but there is no combatant lookup available, and there is no editor so I can't point it to a new one. Is the lookup something I can edit, or is it not available at all?

Thanks again for all the work! I'm in no hurry for answers since I have 1.0 working the way I want now.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

It appears that your installation of Java doesn't have JavaScript built in. The first thing to check is that you are running Java 6 (it looks like you are). If that is the case then you need to also set up Java to access your installation of Rhino. I give the instructions to do that here. So far the only distribution I've had to do that for is the Mac. The instructions for that OS are here in case they are useful. What distribution of Java are you using?

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

A noble effort, but it still fails with the same errors. Again, do not worry about this, as it is only a minor hiccup probably related to my Linux distro. I am more interested in a combatant lookup file.

Thanks for trying though!
The Cyberwolfe
----------------

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

I selected Tools->Game->Select Game

I find the dnd4e_rpgame.abr file and load it.

Seems like it's going to work (D&D 4e shows up) but when I click ok it says "Problems Accessing Database", "File could not be loaded" and then kicks me back to the selection screen.

I've never used IT or CT so forgive me if I'm doing this completely wrong.

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

Rename "dnd4e_rpgame.abr" to "dnd4e.rpgame". At least, that's what worked for me.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

thecyberwolfe wrote:Rename "dnd4e_rpgame.abr" to "dnd4e.rpgame". At least, that's what worked for me.
Hmmm... didn't seem to help, same errors. Perhaps there's something up on my end of things. Thanks for your suggestion!

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

Hawke, what browser do you use? I downloaded it using Firefox on Linux, then changed the name and copied it to my Windows box for actual use and it worked fine. If you use IE, it might make a difference.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Firefox.

Maybe I'll clear out and try to download IT & the file once again.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Try using Help->Reset Character Tool... and then reloading the game settings file too.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Jay, the JNLP files for CharTool and InitTool are wrong as they both specify that "1.5+" is the required Java language level needed. (See the <j2se> element.)

It should be "1.6+" instead.

Otherwise, executing the JNLP on a machine with Java 5 gives some kind of version number exception in the class loader. With "1.6+" specified, the web start executable catches the problem and display a nice message about how a newer Java needs to be downloaded and installed.

Just FYI. :)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Azhrei wrote:Jay, the JNLP files for CharTool and InitTool are wrong as they both specify that "1.5+" is the required Java language level needed. (See the <j2se> element.)

It should be "1.6+" instead.

Otherwise, executing the JNLP on a machine with Java 5 gives some kind of version number exception in the class loader. With "1.6+" specified, the web start executable catches the problem and display a nice message about how a newer Java needs to be downloaded and installed.

Just FYI. :)
I've not been making changes to anything on the website. There are a lot of neat things we can do with the JNLP file like add splash pages and set the proper images on the desktop icons but no one has updated the php code that generates them in forever.

Return to “Announcements”