Website and host migration

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Website and host migration

Post by trevor »

It's time to fully migrate to the new host.

I've been working on an update to the website, but it's far from complete (or glamorous, but whatever).

The bummer part is that I didn't get it all done before the old host ran out of time.

So I'll be migrating over the next day or two.

I need to migrate the website and the gallery.

What this means to you:

There may be some oddities while dns updates to the new site in regards to rptools registered instances.

Gallery may be down for a couple days while I migrate the data

The web site is far, far from complete.

Thanks for your patience, hopefully this will be the last host migration for a long while.

-Trev
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Website and host migration

Post by Azhrei »

Well, I'm ready to help if I can. The recession has bitten into my work schedule so I have plenty of free time for awhile. (As evidenced by all the time I spend here! ;))

Maccwar
Cave Troll

Post by Maccwar »

I had a bit of a scare tonight when I went to download b48 for a laptop I hadn't used for a while and got a 404 on the downloads section. :shock:

I managed to zip the version from my laptop and transfer it over so all was well in the end.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yes, there are a few changes in the move.

For example, the location of the downloads is no longer under http://rptools.net/dist/ -- instead you should use http://download.rptools.net/. I have changed my web form that auto-creates JNLP files to correspond to the new path.

Second, the aforementioned web form will be integrated completely into the new site in the next day or two, as time permits. I'm going to create a process that allows the site to create separate JNLP files for each version. As things stand right now, you can't use the RPTools web site to pick and choose which version you want via WebStart, and people using b48 that don't want to use b49 have to use the zip or my web form. Since I have page-edit authority on the new site, I've added the memory size parameters to the Launch page and I'll be adding more over time. (If you have comments on the Launch page usability, post here or drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.)

Third, the new site is CMS-based. I've been lovin' content management systems since I learned about them a few years ago. The basic idea is that they provide a framework similar to the way a newspaper works: journalists create articles which are then approved by section chiefs or section editors, who then tell the senior editor that the article is a go. The senior editor then publishes the article. The publishing aspect can be as soon as the section chief approves it or it can be an on an automated schedule (such as, this article gets published next Monday at 8AM).

It should allow for well-organized documentation and even blogs -- I don't know that Trevor is planning to go that route, although I think it might be interesting for some of the developers and users to have blogs!

slikmar
Cave Troll

Post by slikmar »

Not sure who set up the new website, but it looks great and easy to use.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

slikmar wrote:Not sure who set up the new website, but it looks great and easy to use.
It's all Trevor's doing. :)

I happened to be online last night while he was working on it, so because he was under a deadline from the old hosting company, I did the Launch page but everything else is his: themes and logos and such.

The gallery requires a massive amount of data be moved, so he had sucked it down to his machine but it take a while to send it back up. (He just had to get it off the old site before it became inaccessible.)

trevor

Post by trevor »

slikmar wrote:Not sure who set up the new website, but it looks great and easy to use.
Thanks, the cms does most of the work (whew).

I'm hoping some graphically inclined soul will have pitty on me and help design an awesomer site

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Great job Trevor.
This CMS looks good and I might give it a try.
I suppose the tool pages will expand (screenshots, features and stuff) ?
ImageImageImageImage

trevor

Post by trevor »

Natha wrote: I suppose the tool pages will expand (screenshots, features and stuff) ?
Absolutely :)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Trevor/Az, you may want to take a look at the FAQ page:

Code: Select all

Q: How can I contribute?

We accept code patches, donations, or just [color=#FF0000]food[/color] old [color=#BFFF00]fasioned[/color] praise :)  We love ideas, so please post your feedback, good and bad, in the forums.
Also, on the platform question, you might want to note that Chartool and Inittool require Java 1.6 to run correctly.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

trevor

Post by trevor »

I spl me so gd, heh thanks for the review !

(wow, someone actually is reading the content ? yikes!)

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

trevor wrote:I spl me so gd, heh thanks for the review !

And here I was just thinking you were very hungry

trevor

Post by trevor »

Craig wrote:

Amusingly, I did for a moment think you were making a suggestion for addition, and thought "What a good idea!", heh

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

trevor wrote:
Craig wrote:

Amusingly, I did for a moment think you were making a suggestion for addition, and thought "What a good idea!", heh
So is anyone else imagining a picture of Trevor opening his mail box to find a ham sandwich that was mailed to him 4 weeks earlier from Fiji thinking "Well it sounded like a good idea at the time" :)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Heh.... I just read it cause I had not even noticed the main page had changed since I normally jump straight to the forum and only go to the root site when I need a download zip. For a minute, my brain thought you were asking for food also.. and I had to re-read it 3 times before I figured out that it was a typo.... :oops:

I know this is only tangentially related, but i probably would send you a ham sandwich if you would please, please, please figure out how to get the forum search working and not saying every word is ignored...... :wink:
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Announcements”