MapTool 1.1 Development Release Build 21

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.1 Development Release Build 21

Post by trevor »

The bug in die rolling was bad enough to warrant a new build, but while I was fixing it, I got depressed at how slow the rendering has gotten, so I tuned it up a bit.

I decided to release early so you guys can test it out before anyone needs to use it for a game this weekend, so I can iron out any kinks that might pop up.

Build 21 (9/28/06)
* Fix rolling bug where modifier was being added twice
* Update local image references to use streamed MD5 sums to improve memory usage
* Unbounded map rendering optimization
* Cell highlighting rendering optimization
* Fix about dialog

NOTE:
Of particular note is the optimization to the unbounded maps. Please bang around on those and see if any rendering weirdness shows up.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Man! Quick Silver!

OK, for the record - the test I did last night was version B20.

Perhaps this weekend I will run another test with B21. Stay tuned!

Nomad3k
Cave Troll

Post by Nomad3k »

Could I ask, shouldn't the WebStart link to the development release automatically upgrade me when you release a new Dev version? Or is that only being used for Release versions?

trevor

Post by trevor »

The link on the webpage should always upgrade you. If you install a link on your desktop then it may not update.

If you are clicking on the webpage link and not getting the latest, let me know.

Nomad3k
Cave Troll

Post by Nomad3k »

Please excuse my lack of knowledge of WebStart, but is there a reason why the automatic updating from WebStart has been disabled?

It's this line that dictates that JWS won't check the server for a newer version isn't it?
<shortcut online="false">
Or are the some other supporting settings that also need updating? I'd be interested in the answer, just because JWS is not something I've ever developed for.

On another note, would it be possible to have the titles different between the Release jnlp and the Development one? I have two applications in JWS that have exactly the same name.

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

Thank you for doing this! =)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Nomad3k wrote:Please excuse my lack of knowledge of WebStart, but is there a reason why the automatic updating from WebStart has been disabled?

It's this line that dictates that JWS won't check the server for a newer version isn't it?
Or are the some other supporting settings that also need updating? I'd be interested in the answer, just because JWS is not something I've ever developed for.

On another note, would it be possible to have the titles different between the Release jnlp and the Development one? I have two applications in JWS that have exactly the same name.
To be honest, I only mess with jws when I have to, and didn't actually build the launch script, so I'll punt the motivations to giliath :)

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

I set the property to <shortcut online="false" /> to allow users to run our tools while not connected to the internet. This is the interesting part in our jnlp file.

Code: Select all

<desktop />
            <menu submenu="RPTools" />
        </shortcut>
The documentation is not very clear on what exactly online="true/false" means, but it is currently behaving exactly as I intended. Sometimes we break backward compatibility, so I didn't want to force upgrades.

If that property only changes whether it prompts for updates when we have new updates, but the <offline-allowed /> still enables the offline usage of the tools then it might be okay to change it, as long as it does not bug you everytime you run MapTool.

In the future I hope to go to a more traditional installer for those users who want an offline version of MapTool. This will allow a more traditional notification of updates.
~Giliath

Phergus
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.1 Development Release Build 21

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote: * Update local image references to use streamed MD5 sums to improve memory usage
Sails through directories with 150MB bitmaps with nary a hiccup. :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Sweet !

trevor

Post by trevor »

giliath wrote:Sometimes we break backward compatibility, so I didn't want to force upgrades.
Perhaps it is acceptable for the development releases. That is, let the released versions be manual updates, but the development releases update automatically. It seems reasonable that if you are using development, you are willing to accept that things will change and perhaps break sometimes.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I agree Trevor. We all know it is a development version and with that, there are risks. If we want stable, we should use the public release version.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to “Announcements”