MapTool 1.3 Development Build 51

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 51

Post by Azhrei »

Oh, bummer. :( Mine takes about that long to, but the autosave barely seems to interrupt us. Although I host the server on my Mac, so all the data is being dumped into RAM buffers and physically written to the disk a bit more efficiently than I bet the Windows OS is doing...

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

More accurately, mine takes around 45 seconds to save. I think I have it set to every hour so Ill have to look when I get to work. Hopefully I'll have something to fall back on.

Overall though, it was a great night! Besides the save issue, B51 was rock solid!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Used b51 this afternoon to play a game, using some heavy duty macros and a bunch of the new features. Noticed only a few issues.

1. The "an error has occurred" dialogs popped up a couple times for people. MT didn't crash, but we weren't sure what caused it.

2. "Adjust Grid" had an undesirable effect on getTokenNames() - specifically, if a token was on the map and the grid was adjusted or moved, getTokenNames() based all of its range information in the JSON filter on the wrong token location (namely, one square above the token). Doesn't happen if you mess with the grid first and then put tokens on it.

3. I was running the server and saw a lot of lag in getting chat updates. Players would hit a macro and I'd hear people say "Woo!" or "Nice hit!" or whatever, and it would take about 5 seconds or so before I saw it (I'm the GM).

Beyond that, we had zero issues. I didn't attempt any polygon topology/fog work, since as I understand it those tools are broken in b51.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Rumble wrote:Used b51 this afternoon to play a game, using some heavy duty macros and a bunch of the new features. Noticed only a few issues.

1. The "an error has occurred" dialogs popped up a couple times for people. MT didn't crash, but we weren't sure what caused it.
Most of these errors are probably not new, its just that MapTool displays them in a dialog now, not just the console. You didn't happen to copy the errors so they can be pasted here by any chance?
Rumble wrote: 2. "Adjust Grid" had an undesirable effect on getTokenNames() - specifically, if a token was on the map and the grid was adjusted or moved, getTokenNames() based all of its range information in the JSON filter on the wrong token location (namely, one square above the token). Doesn't happen if you mess with the grid first and then put tokens on it.
Yeah, this is an issue with a lot of things, when the grid is adjusted it seems that the tokens/background/objects don't move with the grid but are adjusted so they appear in the same spot. This is so things don't move around, you will also notice when moving at times as it will look like you are moving tokens 1 more space than needed and it will then snap back.
Rumble wrote: 3. I was running the server and saw a lot of lag in getting chat updates. Players would hit a macro and I'd hear people say "Woo!" or "Nice hit!" or whatever, and it would take about 5 seconds or so before I saw it (I'm the GM).
Did it start off bad and stay bad? Or did it start off ok and become bad over time? Do you use a lot of HTML in chat or just terse text?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Thinking back, it happened twice, on my players' machines. I expect the errors weren't new - but I didn't think to ask him to copy the error message. He said, "An error has occurred! Close!" and hit close. He expected MT to close completely, but it didn't.

As for the grid thing, I will simply make sure I get the grid right before I drop any tokens. It was the most mystifying thing when it happened in game, but after the game I figured it out.

Finally, for the chat lag, it started off okay, and got worse. We don't use much HTML - the typical output of a macro looks like this:

Tide of Iron against:
Hobgoblin Grunt 3 : 28 vs. AC
Critical Hit! 21 damage
Effects: on hit, push target 1 square; you may shift into vacated square; on miss, --none--; hit or miss, if enemy reduced to 0HP or less, gain temp HP (LifeDrinker warhammer)

The macro that generates that looks like:

Code: Select all

<b>[r:json.get(selectedPower,"powername")]</b> against: <br> 
<i>[r:SelectedEnemy]</i> : [t(attRoll):AttackBreakdown] vs. [r:against]<br><font color=red><b>[r:crit]</b></font> 
[r:totalDam] [r:damtype] damage <font color=red>[r:if(state.Weakened,"(weakened)","")]
<br><b>Effects</b>: on hit, [r:hitEff]; on miss, [r:missEff]; hit or miss, [r:alwaysEff]
</font>
It was slower for multi-target attacks, because the macro structure goes out to generate the above for each target, but even single-target (i.e., one iteration of the macro) got slow.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Craig wrote:
Rumble wrote:1. The "an error has occurred" dialogs popped up a couple times for people. MT didn't crash, but we weren't sure what caused it.
Most of these errors are probably not new, its just that MapTool displays them in a dialog now, not just the console. You didn't happen to copy the errors so they can be pasted here by any chance?
Even if you didn't copy/paste them, Rumble, they should still be in the log.txt file that is in the .maptool directory. (Yes, it's a new thing with b50.)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Azhrei wrote:
Craig wrote:
Rumble wrote:1. The "an error has occurred" dialogs popped up a couple times for people. MT didn't crash, but we weren't sure what caused it.
Even if you didn't copy/paste them, Rumble, they should still be in the log.txt file that is in the .maptool directory. (Yes, it's a new thing with b50.)
I'll see if my brother can email the log to me.

Return to “Announcements”