MapTool 1.3 Development Build 52

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 52

Post by RPTroll »

If() is a function. Or it used to be. I guess the parser changes to support functions broke it.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

RPTroll wrote:If() is a function. Or it used to be. I guess the parser changes to support functions broke it.
I don't know that it is broken, per se. In b51/b52 the default behavior of [] was changed back to what it was in the mid-to-late b30s: it auto-expands as if you had done a [e: ].

You have two options: to use the more recent version of [], check your preferences and server startup options for a new preference that controls this. Change the preference and it will no longer use [e:] as the default.

If you like [e:] as the default, but think it looks silly for a macro statement that is just an if() function, then use [t: if( blah, blah, blah) ] instead.

verisimilar
Giant

Post by verisimilar »

RPTroll wrote:If() is a function. Or it used to be. I guess the parser changes to support functions broke it.
I wouldn't be able to tell you when or if it changed, but if() is still a function, that's why your second code block worked. It's also a branching option, which has slightly different syntax. If you use it directly after an opening bracket, it will be interpreted as the branching option instead of the function. I believe it was added as a branching option to help facilitate nesting.
Now known as zEal

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

RPTroll wrote:Possible bug

Code: Select all

[if(count==NumOnLine,"</td></tr><tr>","</td>")]
no longer works. It puts this in the dialog

« if(count==NumOnLine,"
","
") =
 »
I fixed it by doing this.

[h:p=if(count==NumOnLine,"</td></tr><tr>","</td>")][r:p]
The default for b51 is [ ] is the same as [e: ] (i.e. back to the old way of formating). If you want [ ] to be the same as [t: ] then there is a preference option to change it, check the first reply to the MapTool1.3 Development Build 51 post.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'm seeing weirdness with javaw.exe as well - I just got a popup error that MapTool couldn't autosave, only...I haven't had MapTool running for more than 3 hours. Turns out that there were two instances of javaw running. Not sure where that's coming from, but that's new behavior with b52.

Daeger
Cave Troll

Post by Daeger »

So should I be using b51 for my game this weekend?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Daeger wrote:So should I be using b51 for my game this weekend?
Dunno. B51 won't save-on-exit, and has two broken drawing tools, so that might be an important factor. I don't use fog much, so...I'm thinking about it for my game this weekend. Hopefully my b52 campaign is back-compatible; otherwise...we're going with b52 and darn the torpedoes!

Edit: don't get me wrong - 51/52 are awesome. However, there were a lot of changes from 50, which probably account for more unanticipated interactions and problems. My group has rolled to the latest version almost every game session (because they were coming out once a week or so for a while), but this is the first time it hasn't been rock-solid stable in my experience, so I'm noticing.

I'm probably going to forge ahead with 52 on Sunday, and hope it works out.

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

Personally I plan to stick with b50 for a bit longer; it is a very stable build. I really am looking forward to the new features in b51/b52, but I have to re-build all my macros and character sheets to work with some of the changes in b51/b52 so that will take me some time, and by then I'm hoping b53 will be out with a few of the recent problems resolved.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Rumble wrote:I'm seeing weirdness with javaw.exe as well - I just got a popup error that MapTool couldn't autosave, only...I haven't had MapTool running for more than 3 hours. Turns out that there were two instances of javaw running. Not sure where that's coming from, but that's new behavior with b52.
Trevor, if it helps I have some additional information on this.

Running MapTool from Eclipse, I try to exit but the application never really closes. I see an AWT-Shutdown thread that is stick in Object.wait() and another (I forget the name; Daemon-flush maybe?) that is also stuck in an Object.wait(). If it happens again while testing within Eclipse, is there any way that I can generate a useful backtrace for you? Of course, my source code will be slightly different, but nothing major.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Curious, I wonder if it has to do with me removing the dispose() call in MapToolFrame to close out the docking framework. I'll investigate today
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Rumble wrote:Edit: don't get me wrong - 51/52 are awesome. However, there were a lot of changes from 50, which probably account for more unanticipated interactions and problems. My group has rolled to the latest version almost every game session (because they were coming out once a week or so for a while), but this is the first time it hasn't been rock-solid stable in my experience, so I'm noticing.
Ditto. When I saw the list of changes in b51, I knew there would be problems. I think I'm sticking to b50 for games I run until 1.3 is finalized.

On that note, this is why I feel adding new features conflicts with trying to finalize 1.3. It doesn't make sense to keep adding new features that introduce new bugs if we're trying to get to a final release. I know that's hard to achieve given that we're also trying to add features that are desired for a final 1.3 release, but I think a few things could wait until later.
Kristian

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Amaril wrote: Ditto. When I saw the list of changes in b51, I knew there would be problems. I think I'm sticking to b50 for games I run until 1.3 is finalized.

On that note, this is why I feel adding new features conflicts with trying to finalize 1.3. It doesn't make sense to keep adding new features that introduce new bugs if we're trying to get to a final release. I know that's hard to achieve given that we're also trying to add features that are desired for a final 1.3 release, but I think a few things could wait until later.
We never rolled to b50 (contrary to my comments above, actually) because b51 was always "just around the corner." But I've got a b49 campaign that works, which we can fall back to if we have lots of trouble.

As for finalizing, I think that's a good point. Feature additions need to stop now, or soon, so a clean break can be made.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I'm a 'use the latest' kind of guy unless its a build that breaks a lot of things. I'm going to attempt b52 tonight. Since Trevor and crew are kind enough to provide this for free I figure the least we can do is try to use it and find bugs. Most of the really interesting ones only occur with players connected. :-)
Last edited by RPTroll on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

RPTroll wrote:Most of the really interesting one only occur with players connected. :-)
Truer words were never spoken.

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Rumble wrote:
RPTroll wrote:Most of the really interesting one only occur with players connected. :-)
Truer words were never spoken.
I think that players exist at my whim and pleasure to help me test this software. After all, I do them the kindness of creating a vast and expansive world in which to play and only rarely kill their characters without due cause, so the least they can do is suffer through some technical nightmares without complaining too much. :twisted: :evil:
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

Return to “Announcements”