MapTool 1.3 Development Build 52

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Daeger
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 52

Post by Daeger »

I noticed my pc was slow the other day. Seems the javaw.exe process kept running even after exiting b52, and it had grown to over 100Mb.

I like the new options and fixes in the builds, and I always try the new stuff, but this time I will stick with b50, I can't risk the session failing or losing my work. I run it in a netbook, so I don't have a lot of room to maneuver if something doesn't work right. I'm sorry but I'll wait until it's been tested more.
I've just confirmed that this problem is new to b52 - javaw does not properly close on exit and keeps the memory to itself. b51 does not have the same issue.

Hoping for another emergency bugfix build. If not I'll just have to remind my players to make sure it's not running in their processes after they close the program.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

I have to say... I think Auras are going to replace the template tools for bursts in our 4E game. It's just so much easier to drop in a token with an Aura 3 to place a Hallowed Circle for the player to move around and then move it to an object when needed. Or Burst 1 for a Consecrated Ground that the player can move around as needed. Very neat!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Bearer of bad tidings: I see an occasional error when using the Set Facing function for things in the Background layer. I can't quite get it to repeat consistently; it's happened twice at different times (and, now that I think about it, maybe even in both b51 and b52). Anyway, here's the error dump:

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.FacingTool.mouseMoved(FacingTool.java:96)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseMoved(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:24)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
More info:

It happens when using "set facing." It happens the first time I use it after starting MT, and then it happens a second time (that is, you can close the error dialog and it will immediately happen again), and then it doesn't happen again. Very strange.

Kizan
Giant

Post by Kizan »

Bugs I've noticed in b52 (I haven't seen comments about them in any other thread).

1. Editing a Campaign Macro by a non-GM throws the correct error, but allows the edit to take place anyway, but that change does not get saved when the GM saves the game.

2. On the Server Info dialog the Local IP address is always 0.0.0.0 (though the public IP address and port are correct). One of my users stated that he had problems with the OK button on the dialog being half cut off (he is in Vista with Aero glass enabled).

Kizan

P.S. Sorry if these got reported elsewhere and I didn't see them. I can't be sure if they are b52 bugs or not.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but.
Well I was playing around with it last night and I went to bed. Now I thought it was annoying cuz this window kept popping up randomly on the screen (You are saving/working in an older format would you like to continue?). Yes yes I would. Now the first 1000000000000 times it did this while I was working on stuff was pretty annoying sure, but I bared with it closed out the program and went to bed. I wake up this morning and there are another 10000000000 windows on my computer asking if I'd like to continue saving/working in an older format...
"Nat 20 man, reroll a plate wearer next time."
Kugan - "All bless the god KA-CHING!"

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

heathan666, I think that's probably related to the javaw.exe process not closing on your machine. When you exit b52, it doesn't stop the java virtual machine, and you'll get things like "can't autosave" popups even when MT isn't running.

On further notes about b52, I've decided to use b51 this weekend, even with some of the broken items. I'm running into serious memory usage issues and performance issues, and b51 seems not to have these. Specifically, here's what I was doing and what I saw:

I was experimenting with some of the new token distance and getTokenX/getTokenY functions. I had the Grasslands map up, and three tokens on it. I was having 15-20 second lags when moving a token (these tokens have no macros at this point). I drew some lines on the map as well (this didn't seem to have any negative effect; the lag was still there, but not longer than before I used the drawing tools). At that point, it was using about 17/22MB according to the memory use bar.

I left the machine for about...I'd say an hour...I think it might have been asleep, even, but I'm not sure. When I came back, MT was using 358/508MB allocated. I hadn't done anything in the interim, so it seems like there's a memory leak somewhere. I noticed this previously while working on a campaign in b52, but this is the first time I've noticed it do that when it's just been sitting open.

With the token movement lags and such, I'm gonna stick with b51 and see how it goes.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

whoops sorry I was half asleep when I posted this. but yes it was b52 :D. And yes I did figure out what it was and you are correct about what it was.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Fantastic testing guys

Fixing the java not closing is pretty easy, I'll just have to resolve the other issue I was trying to avoid :)

I can make the "Backward save" dialog show up once per campaign load. Note that you really should save in b51 format and only check b50 if (more specifically _when_) you need to go back to b50. Saving in b50 makes you lose aura information. So it's really best to use the latest format, then in the case that you _have_ to move back to 50, then load it up in 51/52 and do a save-as.

The facing bug will be easy to fix.

The popup error dialog is a blessing and a curse, it's exposing some of the benign errors that have been there since forever, which is good to fix, but it's annoying until they are.

I'll be doing a build this weekend (possibly as late as Monday, it's a busy weekend) that will fix the bigger issues.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

well the reason I did the b50 compat was because of the macroing with code all up in the chat window, but that to seems to be working ok now.
I have to say this is one of the best builds yets.

Wigs
Kobold

Post by Wigs »

i was having issues when i opened my b50 camaign in b52. i had to resize the grid but then it seems like when i was trying to move my npc tokens to the new grid spot they wouldnt move just one square, no matter what they would move a min of 2 squares the fist move then pop back where i wanted them on the second move

vista 32 bit w/ aero

trevor

Post by trevor »

Wigs wrote:i was having issues when i opened my b50 camaign in b52. i had to resize the grid but then it seems like when i was trying to move my npc tokens to the new grid spot they wouldnt move just one square, no matter what they would move a min of 2 squares the fist move then pop back where i wanted them on the second move

vista 32 bit w/ aero
Is it consistently broken with b52 and not with b50 ? (that is, you've tried it again in both versions?)

do you get the same behavior if you start a new campaign in b52?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

trevor wrote:
Wigs wrote:i was having issues when i opened my b50 camaign in b52. i had to resize the grid but then it seems like when i was trying to move my npc tokens to the new grid spot they wouldnt move just one square, no matter what they would move a min of 2 squares the fist move then pop back where i wanted them on the second move

vista 32 bit w/ aero
Is it consistently broken with b52 and not with b50 ? (that is, you've tried it again in both versions?)

This has happened to me with every build I've used (b34+) - if you have tokens on the map, and resize/move the grid, the tokens get "jumpy", and always settle into the grid properly the second time you move them.

Kizan
Giant

Post by Kizan »

Rumble wrote:
trevor wrote:

vista 32 bit w/ aero

This has happened to me with every build I've used (b34+) - if you have tokens on the map, and resize/move the grid, the tokens get "jumpy", and always settle into the grid properly the second time you move them.
I can confirm this. I just never worried about.

Kizan

trevor

Post by trevor »

OK, I figured out the "Java isn't closing out" problem last night.

I'll get a couple more issues fixed and do a b53 this weekend.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Rumble wrote:This has happened to me with every build I've used (b34+) - if you have tokens on the map, and resize/move the grid, the tokens get "jumpy", and always settle into the grid properly the second time you move them.
Yes, but I think Trevor was focusing on how the b52 version had to have the b50 grid resized.

There's not a good solution to grid size changing and tokens are no longer within a particular grid cell any more. This was discussed quite awhile back. Summary: should the token/object/stamp stay in the grid square and move when the square moves, or should it stay put and be "off square" with the new grid.

The decision was made to be "off square" because no one wanted their objects/stamps/whatever sliding across the map when the grid changed! Of course, thinking about it now, the ideal solution would be that tokens which are snap-to-grid should move, and tokens/objects/stamps which are NOT snap-to-gird should stay where they are... This would allow all objects on the Object layer to be selected and snap-to-grid turned off before resizing the grid. Individual objects could remain snap-to-grid if desired.

Return to “Announcements”