MapTool 1.3 Development Build 53

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 53

Post by jfrazierjr »

cubeblue wrote:On jfrazierjr's suggestion I went in and selected "random two-digit" numbering on duplicate tokens, but when I copy and paste a token, it still gets an incremental digit. So Beast 1 copied and pasted becomes Beast 2, etc. Is this a bug?
No... For some odd reason, most preferences only take effect on NEW maps. I can't say it is not a bug, but it is rather annoying if you have tons of maps made up already and want to change stuff...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

trevor wrote:This is something I'm working on fixing up
Your a God amoungst Coders, as always
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

cubeblue wrote:Yeah, you're right. There are a lot of concerns that come into play with targeting in general. And what about area of effect macros? I use a power that hits multiple targets, but does different things based on each one's location, status, etc.
Ugh.. yea.. fortunately, as a player, I ahve not run into that problem.

cubeblue wrote: I'm not planning on upping my own macros to account for targeting anytime in the near future. For now, all of my macros simply state the facts/rolled totals of the attack/dmg rolls and the players must make a determination whether the attack hit or not based on the target(s)'s defense.
Since I mainly play with others, I find it much easier to deal with who is being targeted if it prints out with the attack. I have found over the course of several internet games that the DM typically does not pay attention well and I have to repeat who each attack was against. Using the pointer or speaking in Vent have neither been very effective, which is why I went to targeting.

Note, I use targeting ONLY to select the target(s) and print the target's name with the attack roll. I do NOT have any type of modified roll vs defense of each target going on with any of the frameworks (my own or others) that I currently use. My current version of targeting simply so that the GM and players can see which roll goes with which thing I am rolling against. I do however, plan to give Rumbles framework a play when I can find some time(his does rolls vs defenses for D&D 4E) just to see how it all works... I coded quite a bit until people started putting out nice complete framework packages, when I then stopped my own thing(since i was coming along slower) and started trying theirs and figuring out what I needed to do to make my own little tweaks. Another side benefit (which may actually only be marginally useful depending on your point of view) to using targeting to print out the target with the attack rolls, is that your saved chat log actually can better track the flow of the game and what happened when. I guess if I am going to take the time to save the chat history of myself and others to review later on, it's really helpful to know that the attack where I critted twice in a row was against a big bad boss guy instead of just a single minion flunky.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

jfrazierjr wrote:Since I mainly play with others, I find it much easier to deal with who is being targeted if it prints out with the attack. I have found over the course of several internet games that the DM typically does not pay attention well and I have to repeat who each attack was against. Using the pointer or speaking in Vent have neither been very effective, which is why I went to targeting.
We've had the same problem, and we don't even use Vent so that hasn't been an option.

Our solution was to keep using OpenRPG for dicerolling in chat, which would let us inline our GURPS dieroller plugin (we're using a customized version of the "official" one) with narrative text. This was why I was really pushing for short, easy-to-type inline custom macro calls - now I can type

"Mrugnak leaps over the fallen ogre and charges Goblin #4, bringing his flail down on its helpless head with a mighty bellow! [attack(24,-7)] for [4d6+5] crushing damage, armor halved."

and my attack results are right there with the description, so the GM knows I was attacking it in the head, with my flail, and what the damage was.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

cubeblue wrote:I'm sort of waiting for the day when I can click on a PC token, then right-click, select "set as target" on another token, and then that targeted token is the current PC's target.
Possible, but I don't see it happening exactly like that. The problem is that right-clicking without selecting is impossible in MT right now. That's not to say it won't change in 1.4. In fact, it probably will.

However, it could go the other way: choose "Select Target(s)" first, then select the desired targets and right-click on one of them (already selected) and choose "Confirm Target(s)".

Not worth quibbling about, though. I would expect that as the API is exposed for the use of the JS engine, there is going to be a lot of cleanup in regard to the interface. Right now, token names are used in a lot of places where a reference to the actual token would be far superior (and the token could be converted to its name as-needed).

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

cubeblue wrote:On jfrazierjr's suggestion I went in and selected "random two-digit" numbering on duplicate tokens, but when I copy and paste a token, it still gets an incremental digit. So Beast 1 copied and pasted becomes Beast 2, etc. Is this a bug?
Works fine for me in b53 and the current code. I can switch back and forth with the behavior switching appropriately.

the_meek
Cave Troll

Post by the_meek »

I haven't gone through the whole thread, so these may have been stated already, but I came across two issues playing last night.

First, the "Default units per cell" preference seems to be ignored. I'm getting 5 units per cell, even though it's set to 1.

Second, my macros with macroLink() are running on any tokens that anyone logged into the server have selected. For example, if I run the following macro:

Code: Select all

<b>Blinding Ward</b> <i>Immediate interrupt,  Ranged 10</i><br>
<b>Trigger:</b> An enemy within 10 squares of you makes an attack roll against you or your ally<br>
<b>Target:</b> The triggering enemy<br>
<b>Effect:</b> The target is [macroLink("blinded", "SetState@Lib:Macros", "none", "Blinded", "selected")] until the start of your next turn.
and my players have their tokens selected, they all receive our Blinded state. For reference, the SetState macro on the Lib:Macros token is just [eval("state." + macro.args + "=1")]. The macro link does work as intended when it is clicked (in this case, only blinds the tokens selected by the person that clicks the link).

I apologize if these are already known issues, or if I'm dumb and caused them myself. :D
Thanks.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

the_meek wrote:I haven't gone through the whole thread, so these may have been stated already, but I came across two issues playing last night.

First, the "Default units per cell" preference seems to be ignored. I'm getting 5 units per cell, even though it's set to 1.

Second, my macros with macroLink() are running on any tokens that anyone logged into the server have selected. For example, if I run the following macro:

<b>Trigger:</b> An enemy within 10 squares of you makes an attack roll against you or your ally<br>
<b>Effect:</b> The target is [macroLink("blinded", "SetState@Lib:Macros", "none", "Blinded", "selected")] until the start of your next turn.
and my players have their tokens selected, they all receive our Blinded state. For reference, the SetState macro on the Lib:Macros token is just [eval("state." + macro.args + "=1")]. The macro link does work as intended when it is clicked (in this case, only blinds the tokens selected by the person that clicks the link).

I apologize if these are already known issues, or if I'm dumb and caused them myself. :D
Thanks.
Many preferences can only affect NEW maps. I have no problem with this setting after creating a new map.

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

the_meek wrote:First, the "Default units per cell" preference seems to be ignored. I'm getting 5 units per cell, even though it's set to 1.
Is this happening on new maps, or maps that were created before you changed your preference?
the_meek wrote:Second, my macros with macroLink() are running on any tokens that anyone logged into the server have selected. For example, if I run the following macro:

This sounds like it's working as intended, you have "selected" in your macroLink definition. If you want the macroLink to run on the token that was selected when it is written to the chat, I think you'll want to do some magic to set that as a token id.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

the_meek wrote:

Thanks.
If the auto execute check box is checked on the lib:token macro when you send a macro link to it everyone getting the link will run it automatically, if you don't intend for this to happen then uncheck this mark and it will no longer when the link is sent instead nothing will happen until the link is clicked.

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Craig wrote:If the auto execute check box is checked on the lib:token macro when you send a macro link to it everyone getting the link will run it automatically, if you don't intend for this to happen then uncheck this mark and it will no longer when the link is sent instead nothing will happen until the link is clicked.
Wow, does it work this way in Dialogs/Frames as well, or only the Chat panel?

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

I found a crash. If i add an aura to a certain token on my map and move it to a certain area i get the following crash:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.awt.geom.Area.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.renderAuras(ZoneRenderer.java:896)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.renderZone(ZoneRenderer.java:676)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.paintComponent(ZoneRenderer.java:564)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.BufferStrategyPaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.seqPaintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:24)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
I'm not sure why that spot is any different. The aura does intersect with some VBL in the crash spot.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I suspect that is the aura inside of VBL crash someone else reported.

the_meek
Cave Troll

Post by the_meek »

Good news. User error. Starting with the same base campaign file was preventing the units/cell from carrying over, and I didn't even consider that the checkboxes in the macro would affect the link macro.

Thanks for the help.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

zEal wrote:
Craig wrote:If the auto execute check box is checked on the lib:token macro when you send a macro link to it everyone getting the link will run it automatically, if you don't intend for this to happen then uncheck this mark and it will no longer when the link is sent instead nothing will happen until the link is clicked.
Wow, does it work this way in Dialogs/Frames as well, or only the Chat panel?
It only runs the link on people you send it to (not including your self), so if you send it to yourself it won't run. The assumption being the person who created the link did so in a macro so if they wanted to run something they could do it in that macro, otherwise it would be difficult to get it to work as every time you sent a link to someone you would run it yourself. Since you always display dialogs/frames to yourself no auto execute link is run.

Return to “Announcements”