MapTool 1.3 Development Build 54

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 54

Post by RPTroll »

cubeblue wrote:
trevor wrote:I'm tempted to bump up the default to 4m. 4m isn't even a drop in the bucket anymore. More like a drop of a drop.
I totally support this. Are there any vocal detractors? I haven't seen this issue come much in my forum reading.
Count my vote as "YEAH BABY!"
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

I wasn't going to reply as I assumed you would make the default 4M regardless, but just to be on the safe said, "Yes, please."
Kristian

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

4M works for me.

Oh, there's pun potential there. Must...resist.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Veggiesama wrote:One thing I am still confused about: is the stack size simply the maximum an individual thread will scale up to, or is the memory pre-allocated in some way?
Um, the short answer is that it's an upper limit for a memory block that is preallocated.

Does that help?

Basically, the 4M is allocated when a thread is created. In my tests, MT seems to have around 15-20 threads at any given time. So less than 100MB total. That's still quite a bit, though, because the upper memory limit (such as 512MB or 1GB) is for all memory allocated by the JVM including the stacks for all threads. That's one reason why my original mkjnlp page used 2MB as the default for the stack and why the main RPTools web site still does (unless you change it).

On a tangent, I don't have a good way to allow access to older versions than the development release on the Launch page of the main site. I know people want to be able to run an older version via the WebStart, but my only advice at this point is "keep your old JNLP file 'cuz you can always double-click it". I'm looking to work out a new technique with Trevor for how 1.4 will be managed on the site to make this practical.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You'll be my hero if you do. :mrgreen:

It would really help to quickly restart a game if you could just publish a new launch link with an older version.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, believe me, I want it as much as you do. :roll:

Right now the web site only keeps a single configuration file for each major version (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3). Configuration files for versions other than the most recent build of each major branch are not stored.

I have code ready to deploy that could use configuration files for each version if they existed, but I'd have to go back and recreate those old configuration files based on the contents of the download ZIPs. I would probably only create them for "stable" builds (b45, b48, b50, b53) and then only those builds would be included in the dropdown list on the Launch page.

However, there's some work involved in rebuilding the configuration files and while it's probably only one or two hours of work, I don't deem it worthwhile if 1.4 is coming out soon. But it IS worthwhile to discuss a new technique that would store everything needed for the JNLP files. One thing I proposed was that a "template JNLP" would exist for each version and the web page would simply insert the memory parameters into the JNLP and then serve it to the user.

There are quite a few implementation details and until they're worked out I'm not going to spend more time on this issue. Hence my suggestion of keeping your old JNLP files... :(

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

[Possible bug report]

A macro that has been working fine suddenly does not. After some digging, the breaking point is found to be the "h:" function - remove that and the macro functions fine. The macro revolves around a series of table calls.

If anyone wants to see the effect, download the basic GURPS setup file from the documatation forum, and use the "Hit Location" macro under campaign macros. It's set up in the faulty mode. See if you get errors, then remove the "h:"'s and see if the errors stop (you might want to insert line breaks as well to follow the output)
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Also note that your FOR loops make work differently now. You may need to decrement the starting value by 1.

Sektor
Kobold

Post by Sektor »

trevor wrote:
trevor wrote:
Sektor wrote:I have a serious problem trying to start up b54 with the launcher: I can't :shock: . I get the following exception: <snip>
The launch looks broken, I'll look into it, thanks for the note!
This should be fixed now
Excellent, thanks Trevor!

Dark Thoughts
Giant

Post by Dark Thoughts »

This isn't a B54 specific problem since it has happened to me before but every once in awhile, the map becomes distorted. All of the text and tools become illegible black blocks and much of the background changes color. As far as I can remember, the token images remain as they should but the names under them are blocked out just like all of the other text. The only way I can fix the issue is to close out MapTool and restart it. Any suggestions?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Dark Thoughts wrote:This isn't a B54 specific problem since it has happened to me before but every once in awhile, the map becomes distorted. All of the text and tools become illegible black blocks and much of the background changes color. As far as I can remember, the token images remain as they should but the names under them are blocked out just like all of the other text. The only way I can fix the issue is to close out MapTool and restart it. Any suggestions?
That sounds like a problem with the video drivers. Java forwards its graphics requests to the DirectX layer and from there it goes to the video card. Make sure both of those are up to date. (And don't use Windows Update as that won't do it.)

Return to “Announcements”