MapTool 1.3 Development Build 56

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

nwelte1
Giant

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 56

Post by nwelte1 »

Does this build use a square drawing tool instead of a circle, or am i experiencing a bug... I hate the square.... its creating odd jagged effects if not drawing fluidly. Not liking it at all. I could see it utility for rooms but when sketching water or no straight surfaces it does not work well.

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

nwelte1 wrote:Does this build use a square drawing tool instead of a circle, or am i experiencing a bug... I hate the square.... its creating odd jagged effects if not drawing fluidly. Not liking it at all. I could see it utility for rooms but when sketching water or no straight surfaces it does not work well.
It's used a "blocky circle" for a long time, unless I've been halucinating.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

nwelte1 wrote:Does this build use a square drawing tool instead of a circle, or am i experiencing a bug... I hate the square.... its creating odd jagged effects if not drawing fluidly. Not liking it at all. I could see it utility for rooms but when sketching water or no straight surfaces it does not work well.
It's a bug if what you mean is at the bottom of this bug report. been fixed =D

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7525
galneweinhaw = galileo newton einstein hawking

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Just waiting for the next build.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Gulmyros
Kobold

Post by Gulmyros »

Hi, everyone. Just getting started using Map Tool, and things were going great. But now I'm stuck with an "Unexpected Error" that won't let me start MT anymore. Here's the background (WinXP machine, 1GB RAM, using downloaded build 56, no campaign file, only default Grasslands map and default token images to play around with features):

I wanted a way to keep my players "lost" if the characters didn't spend time mapping their own progress. Once Fog is revealed it's really easy to figure out if one fork in the road has been explored, or if the other way is totally new. Basically, I wanted to "re-fog" anything you couldn't currently see.

I came across Vision Opacity (VO) in the Wiki guides (well written and helpful, by the way) and thought that was the answer I wanted. If previously explored areas were tinted at 100%, then I'm good to go.

I opened MT, Grasslands, and dropped a token on it. Normal sight, gave him a D20 lamp, and set the map to Night, then covered it with Fog.
  • Exposed the lamp, worked fine.
  • Moved, exposed, and saw all areas that had been explored.
  • Changed the VO down to 20, no change.
  • Changed it up to 100, no change.
  • I tried making changes then making new maps, no change.
  • Closed MT, opened it again, no change.
  • Rebooted machine, tried various options, still no change.
Ok, fine, maybe this isn't the magic bullet I wanted.
Unless.... (and here's where I think I outsmarted myself)...

What if the VO number isn't a %? What if it's just some value?

I went into the VO box and clicked the up arrow and went above 100. In fact, I got to more than 200 before I started getting error messages. And now I get error messages immediately, and I can't close them (another just pops up in its place) and I can't operate MT.

So I tried lots of things.
  • I deleted the .maptools directory.
  • I removed the program via the Windows Control Panel.
  • I web launched 1.2 (worked fine), then web launched 1.3b56 (got same errors).
  • I tried many variations of deletion/close/open/reboot along the way. No luck.
I'm sure there's a setting saved somewhere that I could get at and fix/delete that would restart me back at ground zero. I just can't find it. Can anyone help me get this working again?

And in case it helps, here's a bit of the error details:

Code: Select all

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: alpha value out of range
	at java.awt.AlphaComposite.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.AlphaComposite.getInstance(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.renderLights(ZoneRenderer.java:825)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.renderZone(ZoneRenderer.java:705)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.paintComponent(ZoneRenderer.java:572)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
Those last two lines repeat several times, then there's a brief section with:
(MapToolEventQueue.java:24) errors and
(MapToolEventQueue.java:33) errors which appears to be looping.

I can get a full copy/paste of the error if it'll help, but I figure I've been pretty verbose already. Let me know if more info will/can help.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Gulmyros wrote:Hi, everyone. Just getting started using Map Tool, and things were going great. But now I'm stuck with an "Unexpected Error" that won't let me start MT anymore. Here's the background (WinXP machine, 1GB RAM, using downloaded build 56, no campaign file, only default Grasslands map and default token images to play around with features):

I wanted a way to keep my players "lost" if the characters didn't spend time mapping their own progress. Once Fog is revealed it's really easy to figure out if one fork in the road has been explored, or if the other way is totally new. Basically, I wanted to "re-fog" anything you couldn't currently see.

I came across Vision Opacity (VO) in the Wiki guides (well written and helpful, by the way) and thought that was the answer I wanted. If previously explored areas were tinted at 100%, then I'm good to go.

I opened MT, Grasslands, and dropped a token on it. Normal sight, gave him a D20 lamp, and set the map to Night, then covered it with Fog.
  • Exposed the lamp, worked fine.
  • Moved, exposed, and saw all areas that had been explored.
  • Changed the VO down to 20, no change.
  • Changed it up to 100, no change.
  • I tried making changes then making new maps, no change.
  • Closed MT, opened it again, no change.
  • Rebooted machine, tried various options, still no change.
Ok, fine, maybe this isn't the magic bullet I wanted.
Unless.... (and here's where I think I outsmarted myself)...

What if the VO number isn't a %? What if it's just some value?

I went into the VO box and clicked the up arrow and went above 100. In fact, I got to more than 200 before I started getting error messages. And now I get error messages immediately, and I can't close them (another just pops up in its place) and I can't operate MT.

So I tried lots of things.
  • I deleted the .maptools directory.
  • I removed the program via the Windows Control Panel.
  • I web launched 1.2 (worked fine), then web launched 1.3b56 (got same errors).
  • I tried many variations of deletion/close/open/reboot along the way. No luck.
I'm sure there's a setting saved somewhere that I could get at and fix/delete that would restart me back at ground zero. I just can't find it. Can anyone help me get this working again?

And in case it helps, here's a bit of the error details:

Code: Select all

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: alpha value out of range
	at java.awt.AlphaComposite.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.AlphaComposite.getInstance(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.renderLights(ZoneRenderer.java:825)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.renderZone(ZoneRenderer.java:705)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.paintComponent(ZoneRenderer.java:572)
Those last two lines repeat several times, then there's a brief section with:
(MapToolEventQueue.java:24) errors and
(MapToolEventQueue.java:33) errors which appears to be looping.

I can get a full copy/paste of the error if it'll help, but I figure I've been pretty verbose already. Let me know if more info will/can help.
What your trying to do is not possible without you manually redrawing the fog.

As for your errors, most preferences are stored in the windows registry(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/Map/Tool). If your not comfortable with registry editing, you need to find someone who is (if you mess up your registry, your whole computer may become a heavy paperweight until you reinstall Windows). Alternately, a possibly easier fix is to uninstall java. Since Java actually does the storage, it's stored with the java settings in a maptool specific folder in the registry. In theory, uninstalling java should wipe those settings out for all java applications and start fresh. The odd thing is that I did not see a setting for that in there... perhaps I just missed it....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

On a side note, you should really think about getting more RAM. XP is probably using most of that RAM just running the OS portions and if you can put at least another 1GB that would help, but another 2GB would be even better for running Maptool on XP.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Gulmyros
Kobold

Post by Gulmyros »

Couple things.

First, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Very much appreciated. :)
jfrazierjr wrote:What your trying to do is not possible without you manually redrawing the fog.
Ok, I can live with this. I am still curious why different numeric values for Vision Opacity (before the crash) didn't provide different results on the map. Am I doing it wrong? How does this setting work when used properly?

jfrazierjr wrote:As for your errors, most preferences are stored in the windows registry(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/Map/Tool). If your not comfortable with registry editing, you need to find someone who is
Yeah, registry edits are right outside my comfort zone. If it comes to this, I'll ask a friend for help. Thanks for the pointer to the correct location, though. I'll keep it handy.

jfrazierjr wrote:Alternately, a possibly easier fix is to uninstall java. ...<snipThe odd thing is that I did not see a setting for that in there... perhaps I just missed it....
My post didn't include the entire error message. Any idea what this error would look like? Should I post more to see if it's in there? I'll probably take a swipe at removing/reinstalling Java and see if that helps.

jfrazierjr wrote:On a side note, you should really think about getting more RAM. XP is probably using most of that RAM just running the OS portions and if you can put at least another 1GB that would help, but another 2GB would be even better for running Maptool on XP.
Oh, don't I know it. But it's unlikely to change. Unfortunately it's an old laptop being forced to handle mapping duties during a 1-week long F2F projection-on-a-whiteboard mini-festival. ;) Maybe someday I'll get a new machine that can handle more. At the very least, thanks for the rough benchmark.

dmmelkor
Giant

Post by dmmelkor »

I also noticed the square cursor for drawing lines. It would be great to have an option to choose square or round, but right now this prevents me from using this version of MT. Slow (freehand) drawing leads to jagged edges.

Any indication in time for the 1.4 version? I make all my maps with MT. Still using b48 but i would like to use some of the new features and i rather start drawing new maps in the final version. No intensions to rush here, but i have to start drawing in max. 2 weeks and was just curious. Continue to use my current version or wait?

Anyways, thx for the good work.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

dmmelkor wrote:I also noticed the square cursor for drawing lines. It would be great to have an option to choose square or round, but right now this prevents me from using this version of MT. Slow (freehand) drawing leads to jagged edges.

Any indication in time for the 1.4 version? I make all my maps with MT. Still using b48 but i would like to use some of the new features and i rather start drawing new maps in the final version. No intensions to rush here, but i have to start drawing in max. 2 weeks and was just curious. Continue to use my current version or wait?

Anyways, thx for the good work.
The problem is that the drawing tools really are squares because the lowest level creatable, the pixel, is square. Zoom into a jpg and you will notice that they are all squares when you get close enough!!!! What exactly are you trying to do with the freehand tool that requires that much precision? Perhaps a screenshot would help us understand and perhaps we can provide a better solution?

As for 1.4.... when it comes out...It might be b57 or it might be 5 versions from now. I would put a bet on b57 being the final unless there is a major bug in it or several medium ones the really need to be fixed, but that's just a guess on my part. But, why are you waiting? The chances are really slim that anything that would be put into the next version or two would break Maptool that bad and would not be forward compatible (backwarks is another story though!!!)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Gulmyros wrote:Couple things.

First, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Very much appreciated. :)
NP...
Gulmyros wrote:Ok, I can live with this. I am still curious why different numeric values for Vision Opacity (before the crash) didn't provide different results on the map. Am I doing it wrong? How does this setting work when used properly?
I have no idea.. I have never used that feature so don't know the details. You could check the video tutorials as they may cover it, but know that many of the tutorials were made a year ago and have not been updated with the new features yet(Brad is working on new videos as his time permits). However, I think that feature has been around for a while, so I would expect it might at least get a mention in the sight/light video, but you have to check to make sure.

jfrazierjr wrote:Alternately, a possibly easier fix is to uninstall java. ...<snipThe odd thing is that I did not see a setting for that in there... perhaps I just missed it....
My post didn't include the entire error message. Any idea what this error would look like? Should I post more to see if it's in there? I'll probably take a swipe at removing/reinstalling Java and see if that helps.[/quote]

Not really needed. If the field is a %, then anything other than a number 1-100(zero may or may NOT be a valid value) is a bad value and should cause some sort of problem. Now... it comes down to exactly what sort of problem and how the errors should be handled. I may take a look at that code tomorrow and try to recreate your issue if time permits. I would also suggest putting your steps to reproduce into a new post on the Bug Reports sub forum so it's tracked and does not get lost in this thread.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

dmmelkor wrote:...Slow (freehand) drawing leads to jagged edges....
That's a bug in the last build, will be fixed for the next one! =D
galneweinhaw = galileo newton einstein hawking

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

Gulmyros wrote:Ok, I can live with this. I am still curious why different numeric values for Vision Opacity (before the crash) didn't provide different results on the map. Am I doing it wrong? How does this setting work when used properly?
Were you just using a single instance of MapTool? As I understand it, certain vision aspects only work for a client session - the GM session always sees everything.

Once you get MT working again, either go up to the View menu and choose "View as Player" or start a server and connect another instance of MapTool to it and you may see some differences when adjusting the VO.
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

dmmelkor
Giant

Post by dmmelkor »

jfrazierjr wrote: The problem is that the drawing tools really are squares because the lowest level creatable, the pixel, is square. Zoom into a jpg and you will notice that they are all squares when you get close enough!!!! What exactly are you trying to do with the freehand tool that requires that much precision? Perhaps a screenshot would help us understand and perhaps we can provide a better solution?
See page 7 of this thread (post by Jshock) and the last two screenshots on page 1 of this thread:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7525

The difference between drawing lines in b48 (that i currently use) and b56 is very noticable.

Hope this helpes.

Gulmyros
Kobold

Post by Gulmyros »

jfrazierjr wrote:I have never used that feature so don't know the details. You could check the video tutorials as they may cover it, but know that many of the tutorials were made a year ago and have not been updated with the new features yet(Brad is working on new videos as his time permits). However, I think that feature has been around for a while, so I would expect it might at least get a mention in the sight/light video, but you have to check to make sure.
Wasn't in the existing video tutorials, but might make the next round.

jfrazierjr wrote:If the field is a %, then anything other than a number 1-100(zero may or may NOT be a valid value) is a bad value and should cause some sort of problem. Now... it comes down to exactly what sort of problem and how the errors should be handled. I may take a look at that code tomorrow and try to recreate your issue if time permits. I would also suggest putting your steps to reproduce into a new post on the Bug Reports sub forum so it's tracked and does not get lost in this thread.
I uninstalled Java, then grabbed a newer version and installed that (hoping to wipe out any remnants of old Java). I still got the error when loading MT, but there was a noticeable pause between error messages and I was able to navigate to the preferences and change the Vision Opacity back to the default of 60 after less than 10 clicks of the CLOSE button. ;)

Remember when I just clicked and held the up arrow to see how high the field would let me go? When I got back to it, the error-causing value was set at 980. If that's supposed to be a % value, then 980% is definitely out of range. :shock:

I'll head over to the Bug Reports section and put this in there for the squashers to squash.

Return to “Announcements”