Mac Users: latest Java update from Apple

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

zgrose
Cave Troll

Re: Mac Users: latest Java update from Apple

Post by zgrose »

More specifically -- my javaws program is still there, so I can launch MapTool OK from the command line. But the GUI is gone, and if you try to launch MapTool (or other apps) from the launch page, that fails because the memory size isn't set properly.
The GUI is not gone, its moved.

Applications -> Utilities -> Java Preferences

Network Tab

View Cache Files button.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

zgrose wrote:
More specifically -- my javaws program is still there, so I can launch MapTool OK from the command line. But the GUI is gone, and if you try to launch MapTool (or other apps) from the launch page, that fails because the memory size isn't set properly.
The GUI is not gone, its moved.

Applications -> Utilities -> Java Preferences

Network Tab

View Cache Files button.
Yep, I found the GUI eventually.

The memory size problem persists, however.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Rici
Kobold

Post by Rici »

Hi, my name is Riccardo, I have a MacBook with OS 10.5.8 (the last
update) and I have some problems with java.
I understand to have some problems when I tried to open some the MapTool.
When I double click on the .jar file, nothing happens. I made the last java update but the problem still remain. WhenI try to open the java preference from the utility directory it crash. Itryed to use the terminal:

macbook-di-riccardo-romoli-2:tokentool-1.0.b28 riccardoromoli$ java -jar tokentool-1.0.b28.jar

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
Referenced from:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
Trace/BPT trap

but doesn't work. What can I do?
I hope that you can give to me some suggestion.

Best

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Welcome to RPTools, Rici. :)
Rici wrote:but doesn't work. What can I do?
I hope that you can give to me some suggestion.

Best
Read the README file that is included in the ZIP archive that you downloaded. ;)

Rici
Kobold

Post by Rici »

I have reade the txt file. I opened the osx terminal and i used the sudo command with the file .command:

sudo Launch MapTool.command

Than I tried to use :

sudo Launch MapTool-OSX.command

In both cases the answer is:

sudo: Launch: command not found

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, we're going to have to take the spaces out of the filename. That's a mess. I recommend you change the name of the file and take out the space. :( Another issue is that the script won't have execute permission when it comes out of the ZIP file.

I recommend the following command. You should be able to copy/paste these into a command line prompt, just be sure that you're already in the directory where you unpacked the ZIP file.

Code: Select all

chmod 755 *.sh *.command
Now you can execute the script by forcing the command line tool to look in the current directory for the script:

Code: Select all

./LaunchMapTool.command
(That's assuming you changed the name and took the space out. I'm going to send a note to Trevor to rename those things; at least the Unix script names as it's a pain.)

Rici
Kobold

Post by Rici »

Tanks for your suggestion but, when I use the command that you suggest to me I have this answer:

macbook-di-riccardo-romoli-2:maptool-1.3.b57 riccardoromoli$ chmod 755 *.sh *.command
macbook-di-riccardo-romoli-2:maptool-1.3.b57 riccardoromoli$ ./LaunchMapTool.command
Executing maptool-1.3.b57.jar ...
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
./LaunchMapTool.command: line 117: 1209 Trace/BPT trap java -Xmx768m -Xms32m -Xss2m -Xdock:name=MapTool -Xdock:icon=http://www.rptools.net/images/logo/RPTools_Map_Logo.png -jar maptool-1.3.b57.jar run
macbook-di-riccardo-romoli-2:maptool-1.3.b57 riccardoromoli$

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Rici wrote:[code]$ ./LaunchMapTool.command
Executing maptool-1.3.b57.jar ...
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
[/code]
Wow. I should've looked closer at your original post too, since you mentioned this there as well. :(

It appears that your system is looking for a 32-bit library (or 64-bit, or i386, or ppc) and can't find what it needs. That is really strange.

On my 10.4.11 Tiger system, the file /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib is a symbolic link to /usr/lib/libz.1.2.3.dylib. When I use the file command on that I get:

[code]$ cd /usr/lib
$ file libz.1.2.3.dylib
libz.1.2.3.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
libz.1.2.3.dylib (for architecture ppc): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
libz.1.2.3.dylib (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
libz.1.2.3.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
libz.1.2.3.dylib (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
$ [/code]

You can try running the same commands yourself, but if they don't have the same information presented above I don't know what you're going to do about it. The only thing I can think of is that the file was corrupted somehow and needs to be restored from a backup (or the original install media). But man, that's a pain...

Rici
Kobold

Post by Rici »

I think I will re-install OS and than I will let you know... :cry:

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

Rici wrote:I think I will re-install OS and than I will let you know... :cry:
wait, what? a mac user, needing to reinstall the os? there is hope for mac dude, quick, get this to the microsoft TV production team! :D

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, surprises the heck out of me, too!

Perhaps he has been having drive problems or has a suspicion that there has been a problem with the machine in some other way?

With the Mac's approach to application installation (everything goes in one directory and there is no such thing as a "registry" that can be screwed up), it's pretty tough to mess it up from a software standpoint.

I still have a DVD for Leopard sitting here that I haven't installed; I understand some of my favorite features of Tiger disappear in Leopard. :( But I want to hook up an external firewire drive and install on that instead. Then I could at least try it out...

syntruth
Giant

Post by syntruth »

Some features did, but some also returned in Snow Leopard. All in all, though, I think the myriad of other improvements was worth it. And moving to Snow Leopard even more so; all other hype aside, the performance gains from SL are real.

Still other issues, though, of course. Java. [sigh]

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

Speaking of which --

Couldn't find anything applicable on the Apple Java mailing list, although I did dig up a WoW log parsing application that's having the same sort of problems. I posted on Apple's UNIX forums, just in case I get more luck with an answer there.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Rici
Kobold

Post by Rici »

wait, what? a mac user, needing to reinstall the os?
In this week-end I re-installed OSX but with te archive and insall function I haven't lost anything of my user account!!!
Probably Windows in 2500 A.D will do this!!!! :!:
Now MapTool seems to run OK!!

Thanks for all!!!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I'm glad it's working. :)

I had some kind of drive failure (seems like a persistent read error, but the CRC isn't correcting it?!) which resulted in a directory with an invalid entry in it. My machine wouldn't boot because the entry was in /usr/lib! No attempt to read the directory would progress beyond the "broken" entry.

I was able to boot in single-user mode without GUI. So I created a new directory, /usr/lib.new and copied as many individual files over from the old location as I could. Then I renamed the old directory to /usr/lib.old and created a symbolic link from /usr/lib to /usr/lib.new at the same time. (I couldn't use standard commands like mv and ln -s because they might require libraries that were under /usr/lib so once the move command executed, the symlink command might not finish. I had to use a Perl script instead.)

The end result is that I still have that /usr/lib.old directory on my machine because I can't delete it. ;) But I'm not worrying about it until I need to upgrade (probably to Snow Leopard or Linux; looking more like Linux).

Return to “Announcements”