[Tool] RPGM, new game mastering tool/project

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

delegreg
Kobold

Re: [Tool] RPGM, new game mastering tool/project

Post by delegreg »

Here you go :

RPGM for Linux (gtk, x86)

Happy testing ;-)
"If triangles had a god, he'd have three sides..."

PS : excuse my english, i'm french

RPGM project

darleth
Kobold

Post by darleth »

It is an interesting project, is there any new version?

Great job...

delegreg
Kobold

Post by delegreg »

Hi guys,

the new upate is there, on the grill this week :
  • Fixed the "document ressources" save bug (thx neb)
    Worked on adding multiple features to rpgm (see below)
    Finalized some plugin versions (so update should be quicker after this one)
    Actor editor revamped : new tab ("Stats") is there
How to update :

Start your rpgm, in the help menu click "Update" (you will need a active internet connection) and follow the on-screen instructions

Some details about the actor editor :

The goal behind this function was being able to store multiple statblocks for a character, whatever those statblocks may be (a cthulhu char sheet, a multipurpose equipment managing system, a description/background editor etc ...)

So : RPGM comes with a set of default systemless statblocks useable by all (only one at the time, description and background)

But, i'm starting a set of plugins to manage different rule systems

How to install those plugins :

Start your rpgm, in the help menu click "Search for extensions" (you will need an active internet connection), select the new "RPGM games feature", click install and follow the on-screen instructions

What is new there ?

At the time not much, but back to your actor editor, you should be able to add a new statblock type (AbilitiesStatBlock) that allows you to enter your character d20 abilities (strength etc...)

Now that the functionality is there, developing other statblocks should be even easier

Better yet, those plugins can actually contribute screens to your RPGM, so with time you'll get things like dice rollers, gm screen, system specific documentation, character import/export from other software (did anyone say maptool tokens ?) etc.

But on to the "todo" part, I still have in wait :
  • Other editors still need more content, so sequences will get their new tabs : encounters, locations, and contextual audio will come up
    "Relink" action
And for sometimes later (in the order of importance) :
  • Text ressources support, link text directly into your items descriptions
    Better web ressources handling, including solidifying them
    PDF image extraction (select part of the page to turn it into an image ressource)
    PDF text extraction (get the text from PDF's when possible)
    Advancement on the help files
    Video tutorials
How to contribute :

I'm looking for advice for the different statblocks that will be needed, so you can help by answering those questions :
  • Will you need cross-system statblocks for a single actor (example : keep the stats of Dr X for d20 modern and for Coc)
    Will you need multiple evolution statblocks for a single actor (example : grom the barbarian, at level3, at level 5 and at level 7 or Orc standard, Orc barbarian 2 and Fiendish Orc, etc ...)
    Would you rather have a complete character per statblock, or "sub" statblocks focusing on parts of the character (ie : one editable character sheet with all options or several sheets, each dedicated to an aspect of the character, that is would you rather have an ability statblock, a skill stablock, a spells statblock etc ... or a full d20 charsheet)
Thanks in advance for your feedback and comments, as usual, criticism and suggestions are welcome.

Cya,
Greg

RPGM project

delegreg
Kobold

Post by delegreg »

Hi all, and welcome to a new RPGM update.

I hope you're all happy with the way RPGM behaves and the fast update schedule.

Not much new things this week, but i'm working on the back-end of statblocks for now, building things for a major update on this feature, so you'll have to wait a bit for some surprises (dir I hear dices rolling ?).

This week, we tackle the sequence editor.

First a warning to those of you who are already using RPGM. There's been a change in the Sequence model, so your previous files containing sequences become unreadable with this update. As usual, backup, backup, backup (your .rpgm files and your program folder) before updating. The old version allows you to export your data to fragment files, and the new version will be able to import those fragment files, except those containing sequences...

You've been warned, now on to the goodies.

The Sequence Editor has been enriched with two new tabs : Encounters and Locations

Both have approximately the same function, allow you to pick game ressources and link them with your sequences

Encounters are dedicated to Actors and Groups. Most Sequences will need those, be them NPC's, monsters, historical personnages or deities. You simply pick them, either from the Campaign or Scenarios Actors folder. Once picked, a double click will open the selected Actor in a separate editor for quick reference

Locations are handled the same way, pick them and quickly access them. Combined with the mapping feature, this should allow you to handle most of your needs.

As usual, feel free to comment, report bugs, criticise or suggest, I just love the feedback.

See you next week for more RPGM goodies

Greg

RPGM project

delegreg
Kobold

Post by delegreg »

The RPGM forum is online at http://www.delegreg.com/forum

Feel free to use it to report bugs, suggest, etc ...

RPGM project

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You might want to put a link to it in your posts or maybe get a page up on your site where the latest version can always be downloaded.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

I think it's here:

http://www.delegreg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2

not 100% sure it's the very latest, but I don't see any newer post from the designer either. Hope he's ok !

delegreg
Kobold

Post by delegreg »

RPGM is back on tracks !

For more information visit the google code project at : http://code.google.com/p/rpgmanager/

I hope we'll soon be up and running, in the meantime the lastet stable version and it's d20 plugin are available from the downloads section.

Happy gaming.
Greg

RPGM project

Return to “Links & External Resources”