WOW - MS Surface Dungeons and Dragons

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Stitched
Dragon

WOW - MS Surface Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Stitched »

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: WOW - MS Surface Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Azhrei »

It's a cool demo but I agree with a lot of the comments posted: the interface moves too slowly (great for a demo, but for really playing a game?), not system agnostic, and it would be nice to remove the physical pieces to control the software and stick with finger gestures.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Cool demo. Speed is key, and I think an option for dice would be great - with the resolution of the camera underneath I wonder how easy it'd be to read the number on the bottom of the die & shape. You could then predict the top - even if you needed "special" dice as long as they were dice it might be preferrable for some groups.

I for one think the control objects is the way to go, though it needs to be able to handle many at a time... map movement would also be needed - i.e you mvoe the map over 40 squares.

System agnostic probably isn't something I would initially expect from something like this - to truly gain traction I think a larger company like wotc funding would be the way to go. Get it off the ground, then let the clones come.

I notice The Rouse left... is this where he'll land or coincidence?

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

from their website:
The objective of the SurfaceScapes project is to create a proof-of-concept for playing tabletop role-playing games on the Microsoft Surface Table. We will be using Dungeons and Dragons as a basis for our prototype, with the option for future expansion to other role-playing games. SurfaceScapes will provide Game Masters and players with a set of features to enhance the combat and role-playing aspects of tabletop games. This will include the ability to interact with the digital environment using real objects such as miniatures and provide automated calculations and visual and audio feedback for actions performed by the player and non-player characters. We are taking traditional tabletop role-playing games to the next level, adding a new layer of immersive and intuitive gaming to the Microsoft Surface Table and assisting both GMs and players in enjoying exciting and engaging adventures.
SurfaceScapes… what lies beneath.

Our goal for the semester is to focus on the player side of the D&D experience. This includes all the actions that the players actually perform on the Surface Table. Some of the major features we will be implementing include:

1. Automatically tracking combat states and statistics.
2. Tracking character information.
3. Providing audio and visual feedback for player actions.
4. Use of physical objects which the Table can detect, such as miniatures, themed “control objects” and feat cards.
5. An intuitive and visually appealing virtual UI, in addition to incorporating physical objects.
6. Ability for the Game Master to alter the map on the fly.
7. Uploading of custom and premade “story slides” to enhance the narrative aspect of D&D.
8. Ambient sounds and lighting to aid in storytelling.
9. Enhance story telling by streamlining a lot of the book keeping that the DM usually handles.
There's more here

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hawke wrote:from their website:
The objective of the SurfaceScapes project is to create a proof-of-concept for playing tabletop role-playing games on the Microsoft Surface Table.
BALONEY! They're objective is to work with some really cool hardware and write software to support their weekend habit of playing D&D!! Get real!! :mrgreen:

Stitched
Dragon

Post by Stitched »

Well the one thing that I noticed right away was using 3D models for monsters. Granted it's a demo but it coincides with the plan that WOTC had, initially, with their "map tool". Sure, the dice are godawful slow and they would be wise to have a look at how Fantasy Grounds (probably the best 3D roller out there) or that iPhone application does it.

I wonder how things would be if they removed the whole touch interface and developed a regular screen interface for all the things they plan to do?

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Stitched wrote:I wonder how things would be if they removed the whole touch interface and developed a regular screen interface for all the things they plan to do?
Good question. If Surface is running some Windows variant, it shouldn't be hard. Heck, if surface was smart enough the API calls to the various touch functions would be as compatible as possible with Windows 7 multitouch. Unlikley though... just wondering how easy it'd be to package what they have as another "normal" VTT.

Return to “Links & External Resources”