Tool: Desktop Exporter

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Tool: Desktop Exporter

Post by trevor »

With iCon coming up quickly, it was discussed that it would be cool to have a little tool that would periodically take a screencap of a section of screen and post it to an ftp site.

That way they could have a web page that had "What's happening now" images of all games and demos in progress.

The idea being to emulate the concept of a convention floor walker, just browsing around, seeing what's cool.

So I threw one together really quick. I think it turned out pretty well. It lets you pick a section of the screen and when ready click a button to cap it. The capture is then automatically uploaded to a ftp server and saved locally, depending on how you set up your project.

If MapTool didn't have built in screencap capability, this would be really useful for pbp and other similar things. (actually I'm tempted to leave it up and running and put up a "What's on my desktop now" web page)

Anyway, check it out, I've uploaded it to:

http://rptools.net/tools/desktopexporter.jar

Just download it and double click it. Then click the right hand icon (Properties), the rest should just kind make sense.

Note: This is a quick hack, expect bugs, and there is very little input validation (What's that, you want a "abc" x "sdd" constrained image ? OK)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Re: Tool: Desktop Exporter

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:...actually I'm tempted to leave it up and running and put up a "What's on my desktop now" web page...
It would be cool that along with the possible Maptool server/meetup area, have a matching screencap of the game before you join it...

Imagine coming to the lobby and "seeing" the games that are going on... :)

Would make people want to play... ;)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

That would be cool

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: Tool: Desktop Exporter

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote: Anyway, check it out, I've uploaded it to:

http://rptools.net/tools/desktopexporter.jar

Just download it and double click it. Then click the right hand icon (Properties), the rest should just kind make sense.
Um I downloaded it - it is a ZIP file and when I unzip it, I get a Meta-INF and NET folder along with .classpath and .project files.

Nothing to double click.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Oooohhhhh.

I renamed the .zip to a .jar and it worked.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

dorpond wrote:Oooohhhhh.

I renamed the .zip to a .jar and it worked.
Stop using IE and you would not have that problem Image
--
Big Mac

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Yeah right Mac Attack! ;)

Hey Trevor, silly question but would you also want the option for the files to overwrite themselves in the preferences? Currently it increments the file name (file1, file2, etc)(which I also like btw). I would imagine that the amount of images will grow fast and some might not want that.

Just a thought - I am just imagining 50 demos each snapping like crazy and ftp server space going bye-bye quickly.

Very cool app though! I like it and can find many uses for it!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Actually, in the first pass, the local copies are full quality and increment in numbers, the remote version is constrained by the size you specify and overwrites with the same name. I imagine these could be parameterized.

The idea with the incrementing values is that you could easily create a timelapse movie of you game/whatever.

Currently if you restart the app and use the same name, it will overwrite the existing incremental files

Return to “Links & External Resources”