RPG Virtual Tabletop

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Murgh Bpurn
Cave Troll

RPG Virtual Tabletop

Post by Murgh Bpurn »

Awhile back I converted the RPG VT pages to a wiki, unfortunately this was abused as I foolishly made it an open wiki.

I have now got the bones of the site back up as a more "secure" wiki, and having more time available, and will be able to keep on top of the site.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: RPG Virtual Tabletop

Post by wolph42 »

Nice overview. I noticed the partially outdated screenshot you use for MT, I did make one for my own framework which also gives a good idea of the possibilities of MT itself. However there was a fair discussion whether one should or should not use it for 'promotional' purposes. Still you could use it in a wiki. Here's the link to the discussion and the screenshot:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... screenshot
More specific screenshots highlighting individual parts here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12137
Both links point to my own framework though, which does not represent the agnostic position of MT very well. So here a couple of other frameworks screenshots:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16429
one in spanish:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 863#p93885
Rumble also had some great screenshots for his 4e FW but I can't find them anymore

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Cool. I brought up the page and browsed around a little bit. It's a very attractive site. :)

I noticed that Feldar misspelled "mutter" in the screenshot in the bottom-right corner of the main page. But that's okay -- he's probably a dorf anyway. (heh-heh)

There seem to be different levels of details on the various pages. Some pages will list just names of VTs and links, others will give a lot of information on one VT and then just a link for others. Is that on purpose, or just the result of the pages not being fleshed out yet?

For example, you have d20Pro listed as supported on various OSes, but MapTool is listed as "Java". You realize they're both written in Java, right? They should both work on any platform that supports Java, although the d20Pro people might only advertise the "big ones". And since you listed a programming language for a few entries instead of an OS, you might want to say that OpenRPG is written in Python. Python is also an interpreted, cross-platform language and wxWidgets (now called wxWindows) has been ported to just about everything as well...

You may also want to add an additional column to the VTs page (since it looks like there would be room) to indicate which ones are under active development and which are "abandonware".

On the Tutorials page you have a link to RPToolsTutorials.net for MapTool which is where Brad keeps his screencasts. While I certainly don't want to detract from his excellent work on those videos, I can see an argument for pointing to the Tutorials page of the RPTools.net web site instead and letting people follow the links (Brad's is the first link on the page, of course!). My reasoning is that it keeps MapTool information in one place and (hopefully) makes it easier for people to find other MapTool or RPTools-related information later on.

On your commercial page you mention Devin's token packs, but Jonathan Roberts (torstan here on the forum) provides MapTool resources for recent map packs (see the threads he has started in this forum regarding new products). Similarly, he's not mentioned on the Maps link although I can't tell if that page should be "free only" or not?

For the "Links" page, you may want to add PenAndPaperGames and/or ObsidianPortal. I've found a few players using PPG and I know OP is used a lot by people running campaigns.

Overall it looks like it'll be a great resource for finding VT-related information. Of course, keeping it up to date won't be the simplest thing in the world! Developing it as a wiki may help... :)

Murgh Bpurn
Cave Troll

Post by Murgh Bpurn »

Azhrei wrote:Cool. I brought up the page and browsed around a little bit. It's a very attractive site. :) Thanks

I noticed that Feldar misspelled "mutter" in the screenshot in the bottom-right corner of the main page. But that's okay -- he's probably a dorf anyway. (heh-heh) Yeah, I noticed that, but didn't know whether I should change it or not! :)

There seem to be different levels of details on the various pages. Some pages will list just names of VTs and links, others will give a lot of information on one VT and then just a link for others. Is that on purpose, or just the result of the pages not being fleshed out yet?

For example, you have d20Pro listed as supported on various OSes, but MapTool is listed as "Java". You realize they're both written in Java, right? They should both work on any platform that supports Java, although the d20Pro people might only advertise the "big ones". And since you listed a programming language for a few entries instead of an OS, you might want to say that OpenRPG is written in Python. Python is also an interpreted, cross-platform language and wxWidgets (now called wxWindows) has been ported to just about everything as well... a wip, comments noted :)

You may also want to add an additional column to the VTs page (since it looks like there would be room) to indicate which ones are under active development and which are "abandonware". Done

On the Tutorials page you have a link to RPToolsTutorials.net for MapTool which is where Brad keeps his screencasts. While I certainly don't want to detract from his excellent work on those videos, I can see an argument for pointing to the Tutorials page of the RPTools.net web site instead and letting people follow the links (Brad's is the first link on the page, of course!). My reasoning is that it keeps MapTool information in one place and (hopefully) makes it easier for people to find other MapTool or RPTools-related information later on. Done

On your commercial page you mention Devin's token packs, but Jonathan Roberts (torstan here on the forum) provides MapTool resources for recent map packs (see the threads he has started in this forum regarding new products). Done Similarly, he's not mentioned on the Maps link although I can't tell if that page should be "free only" or not? Should be free only

For the "Links" page, you may want to add PenAndPaperGames and/or ObsidianPortal. I've found a few players using PPG and I know OP is used a lot by people running campaigns. Done

Overall it looks like it'll be a great resource for finding VT-related information. Of course, keeping it up to date won't be the simplest thing in the world! Developing it as a wiki may help... :)
Thanks for the feedback. Yes it is going to be quite a task, hopefully they'll be a few people out there willing to help! :)

Murgh Bpurn
Cave Troll

Post by Murgh Bpurn »

wolph42 wrote:Nice overview. I noticed the partially outdated screenshot you use for MT, I did make one for my own framework which also gives a good idea of the possibilities of MT itself. However there was a fair discussion whether one should or should not use it for 'promotional' purposes. Still you could use it in a wiki. Here's the link to the discussion and the screenshot:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... screenshot
More specific screenshots highlighting individual parts here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12137
Both links point to my own framework though, which does not represent the agnostic position of MT very well. So here a couple of other frameworks screenshots:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16429
one in spanish:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 863#p93885
Rumble also had some great screenshots for his 4e FW but I can't find them anymore
I've gone with one of the 4e ones atm.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Murgh Bpurn wrote:I've gone with one of the 4e ones atm.
Good choice, however if you click on the image it links to the old screen shot, I guess you forgot to update the link

Murgh Bpurn
Cave Troll

Post by Murgh Bpurn »

wolph42 wrote:
Murgh Bpurn wrote:I've gone with one of the 4e ones atm.
Good choice, however if you click on the image it links to the old screen shot, I guess you forgot to update the link
Indeed I did!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

you're fast. I was looking at the part of MT and could not help but notice that it does gives a bit of a limited notion of the limitedness of MT. It might be good to put at least one extra screenshot in depicting an entirely different setting. I can't really suggest my own as it is too obtrusive. What I can do however is clean the screenshot up so its just that: a screenshot, is that something you can use (in addition to the one there already). Ideally there should be one for every framework available but unfortunately they're not readily available.
edit: it seems I already did, I just put it online
The variety in lay out, buttons, setting, pop-up etc. between the two screenshots give a good look and feel that 'anything' is possible

Murgh Bpurn
Cave Troll

Post by Murgh Bpurn »

How's that?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Wow, you're a madman! Picked up all of my comments and had them integrated in just a few hours!

I like, I like... It looks good. :)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Murgh Bpurn wrote:How's that?
great, gives it exactly the 'completely different look also possible' I so much like in MT.

In addition to Ahz's remarks, you've added the extra column with the 'last release date' if you do that than that webpage needs a 'last updated on:....' text somewhere, so you have some reference (unless you plan to update that page every week for the rest of the existence of that page? and even then its nice to see when the last change was.)

Murgh Bpurn
Cave Troll

Post by Murgh Bpurn »

i have a last edited date on mine, do you not see it?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Does this sentence:
The map space does not have a limit in size and can support very, very, very large maps.
scare anyone else as much as it does me?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:Does this sentence:
The map space does not have a limit in size and can support very, very, very large maps.
scare anyone else as much as it does me?
Yeah.

There you go, I fixed it for you. ;)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Murgh Bpurn wrote:i have a last edited date on mine, do you not see it?
bottom left corner, check! didn't notice it before. "No further comment your honor"

well.. just one remark: I just had another look and I just have to say again that I really like the two screen shots next to each other, they really give two completely different views of use of MT, emphasizing the agnostic characteristic of MT.

...and now I'm going to hide and whimper in a corner, overshadowed by vvvlm's...

Return to “Links & External Resources”