New Map Pack - Pirates!

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

torstan
Great Wyrm

New Map Pack - Pirates!

Post by torstan »

Now you too can have your players adventure on the high seas. This map pack has two ships. The first is a modest 35′ two masted pinnace (25′ without the bowsprit) suitable for green adventurers starting out island hopping in an archipelago, or for sneaking up on a larger vessel silent-like:

The second map is a different deal entirely. This is a four masted, square rigged ship of the line. An ocean going galleon that would be the pride of any corsair’s fleet. If your world has a Blackbeard then this is the ship for him. In my game I lined the rails with ballistae, and crewed it with a war wizard but how you use it is up to you. As a side note, characters balancing on a deck are flat footed, and I’d say pirate crew should have a few levels in rogue. Your players may see the crew as minions they can cut through, but sneak attack them with a ballista and they’ll change their tune pretty fast.

I had a ball making these maps, and using them in my home game. I hope they come in handy to you too. I hear there’s a piracy adventure path looming on the horizon for Pathfinder – Skull and Bones. I know I can’t wait.

The map packs are designed to be as flexible as possible. The packs contain:
  • multi-page pdf scaled to print at 1 inch=1square, in both letter format and A4 with full colour and printer friendly greyscale.
  • High resolution jpgs of the ships for home printing and for use in virtual tabletops (vtts) – with and without grids.
  • pngs of the two ships with semi-transparent rigging, so that they can be used in mobile ship combat within a vtt.
  • Ballista and ladder pngs to kit out your tall ship with the paraphernalia of war.
  • Maptool map files that can easily be imported into any campaign with vision set up, for quick use in any OGL, 4E of PFRPG game. The files require maptool 1.3.b84 or newer to work.
So you can print off the battlemap of the square rigger and then cut out the pinnace as and use it as a mobile ship token, or you can import the whole lot into maptool and have both ships work as mobile tokens. Grab your marlin spike, hurl the grappling hooks and prepare for boarding!

You can pick up the map pack on RPGNow and Paizo.

And if it all (inevitably) goes horribly wrong, there’s a ready made shipwreck map pack for your players to explore, once they’ve been sucked down to the briny deep by the tentacles of the kraken.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: New Map Pack - Pirates!

Post by jfrazierjr »

Cool!!! great stuff as usual. Any chance you might flesh out the sails as extra png's as part of the pack? Specifically, I am thinking about how this might look really cool using Wolph's auto hiding macro thingy...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

torstan
Great Wyrm

Re: New Map Pack - Pirates!

Post by torstan »

I do have the sails as a separate png. I have some sekrit plans for this that might require an update to the pack anyway in a week or so, but if you pick this up now you'll get the update for free.

Good call - I'll add those in there.

Return to “Links & External Resources”