Online Town Generator

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Mathemagician
Dragon

Online Town Generator

Post by Mathemagician »

Well, I was inspired by Trevor et al. to put just an ounce more effort into the RP community. A long time ago I wrote an online generator to make towns (specificially for D&D, but they fit into fantasy settings well enough). It's nothing fancy, but it is online only, so it enjoyed minimal popularity at the time (many people didn't have wireless laptops at the time, so bringing it to a D&D session could be a pain). ...So, my old college group started thinking about playing D&D again, but we're scattered across the East Coast now, so we needed an online solution. This is how I found MapTool. And I thought to myself, this online RP community is so rich, it is a perfect application for my town generator (after all, the DM is by default, connected to the internet!). So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it or not (these are the only forums I know for this group), so I will kindly ask a mod to move the thread if needed. I thought I might make this community aware of my Town Generator, here:

www.mathemagician.net/town.html .

If you are already aware of this tool, you may be interested in the "ounce more effort" I mentioned previously. I've updated the generator so that it generates the random numbers based on your city name, not clock time. The result is that if you type in the same city name, you get the same city back...in effect "remembering" your city forever.

The generating is done straight from the 3.5 DMG for D&D. If you haven't checked it out, it's worth your time (heck, I usually get an email each semester from one of my students saying they stumbled across it and had fun playing with it...suck ups).

Also available at my website are a treasure generator based on encounter level (with individual gem names and pricing, if that's your thing). If you like to do treasure "by the books" this will save you from rolling a lot of dice. There is also a weather generator for when your players take a long time to go from point A to point B.

Thank you Trevor et al. for this wonderful MapTool, I hope that my tools can help your community. :)

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

So that people can quickly give it a whirl, your boxes should include some default values.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Online Town Generator

Post by trevor »

Mathemagician wrote:I've updated the generator so that it generates the random numbers based on your city name, not clock time. The result is that if you type in the same city name, you get the same city back
Ahh, the beauty of seeded psuedo random numbers !

Thanks for sharing
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

(moved to external links and resources so that it sticks around)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Now just need a random map plugin and you're golden !

kat2cute
Dragon

random town

Post by kat2cute »

I like this website. I always wondered just how many militia and what levels people should be for towns of different sizes, let alone how many magic or other stores there should be in case the characters piss of one of the other owners. Nice, quick little reference.

Invictus
Kobold

Re: Online Town Generator

Post by Invictus »

I know this is necroing a pretty old post, but does anyone know if this tool is coming back. I've used it for years, then it just stopped working.

Return to “Links & External Resources”