Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Kickstarter

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

gamerprinter
Giant

Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Kickstarter

Post by gamerprinter »

Hello, I'm Michael Tumey, the creator of the 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide book Kickstarter. The purpose of the book series is to teach gamemasters how to create stunning RPG maps for their weekend games, quickly and easily using most standard graphics applications. There will be explanations of how to adapt the tutorials to Photoshop, GIMP, Inkscape, Illustator and Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. Aside from the books there are 2 map object sets as backer levels, and another as a stretch goal.

25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide book
author/cartographer: Michael K. Tumey
Publisher: Gamer Printshop
Product: soft cover, full color interior print book and PDF files
Pages: (estimated) 248

I am a professional fantasy cartographer having created many commissioned maps for publishers large and small since 2007, including Dog House Rulez, Iron Crown Enterprises, Rite Publishing (all the maps for the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror - PFRPG), 189 map objects for the Profantasy Software Modern Map Symbol Set, and more recently the original hand-drawn map of the City of Kasai for the Paizo Publishing Jade Regent AP.

In the first 9 days of a 30 day funding period (from Aug 2nd to Sept 1st) the project met goal, and funding is well towards the first stretch goal, so it's a sure thing that books and map objects will be provided.

Anyway, if you want cool tips on creating maps as well as map objects, this tutorial series is designed for you.

Please join us in this project and help spread the word.

Link to Kickstarter Project.
Gamer Printshop
World's first RPG Map Print-on-Demand service, we print maps for gamers and game masters!

http://www.gamer-printshop.com

gamerprinter
Giant

Re: Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Kickstarter

Post by gamerprinter »

First I want to thank everyone who's made a pledge towards my project!

It's Day 11, 113 backers, $1182 past goal, more than a third of the way to the first stretch goal, 25 Advanced Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials. On the last 2 Kickstarter updates, I've posted samples of 2 map object sets available at 2 backer levels at $25 and $50 in addition to PDFs of all funded guides. The $50 tier includes 250 map objects from dungeon to exotic.

Please check out my project, and help spread the word.

Michael
Gamer Printshop
World's first RPG Map Print-on-Demand service, we print maps for gamers and game masters!

gamerprinter
Giant

Post by gamerprinter »

For more immediate help with your mapping, I am now the Cartography columnist for G*M*S Magazine - Paco Garcia Jaen's popular RPG blog/zine with my first article helping map-makers choose the right software for them, called:

The Cartographer's Table - Which Mapping Software is Best for You?
Gamer Printshop

gamerprinter
Giant

Post by gamerprinter »

The first stretch goal: 25 Advanced Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Book is UNLOCKED!

Next: Hand-Drawn Map Tutorials Guide Book - my favorite topic, only $3000 away!

Thanks, all you wonderful pledgers!

Michael
Gamer Printshop

gamerprinter
Giant

Post by gamerprinter »

68 hours left of funding, and only $1150 from our 3rd stretch goal - Using 3D Elements in Mapping Tutorials Guide.

I want to thank all the contributors from RPTools site for helping us get this far. If you haven't joined I think it's worth it and there are scads of map object sets you could use in your games, in addition to the tutorials guide. Please check it out, and help spread the word.

Michael
Gamer Printshop

gamerprinter
Giant

Post by gamerprinter »

Thanks everyone, the final results are in and it was ultimate funding! You guys are awesome!

Final Tally:
Pledged: $23,289, Backers: 456, Funded: 621%

Which means with an original goal of $3750, the final was almost $20,000 over that!!!

Again, thank you - now I've got some work to do...

Michael
Gamer Printshop

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

gamerprinter wrote:Thanks everyone, the final results are in and it was ultimate funding! You guys are awesome!

Final Tally:
Pledged: $23,289, Backers: 456, Funded: 621%

Which means with an original goal of $3750, the final was almost $20,000 over that!!!

Again, thank you - now I've got some work to do...
Congrats!!
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

gamerprinter
Giant

Post by gamerprinter »

Well its been a long time coming, but the first guide: 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide has been released to the public as a full color, 197 page PDF for $19.99 available at DTRPG.

I've already released a 100 photo-realistic map object set, and the 50 undersea map object set. Over the next month I will be releasing more 50 map object sets (until 5 sets for 250 objects total are released). I will be releasing a 250 hand-drawn map object set in 5 each 50 object sets, including a 50 hand-drawn swamp object set soon. You can also find several map sets like Gothic Castle, Dwarven Mine, Neptune Station (undersea scifi complex and submersible deck plan), and several Old West themed map sets with more coming in the next months. You can visit the DTRPG Gamer Printshop products list to see all my products currently available.

Lots to check out!
Gamer Printshop

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

He does fantastic work, check it out if you haven't!

gamerprinter
Giant

Post by gamerprinter »

lmarkus001 wrote:He does fantastic work, check it out if you haven't!
Thanks, Imarkus001!

I actually have a couple map object sets including a 50 pack of photo-realistic undersea plants and creatures (since I could never find such objects anywhere else while working on a coral reef map). I've also posted several map sets including a near-future sci-fi based undersea domed colony, a gothic castle, a dwarven mine, with more being posted all the time. You can visit my "all products" page on DTRPG.
Gamer Printshop

Return to “Links & External Resources”