DM Genie export to Map Tool XML

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Hawke
Great Wyrm

DM Genie export to Map Tool XML

Post by Hawke »

Anybody know enough about DM G to know:

1) Is it possible to get it to do this
2) Has someone already done it?
3) If not, is someone here able to do it?

As my game gets bigger and we start pushing the rules, I'm looking for a solution to manage the characters/monsters and combat a little bit better. I don't own DM Genie, but I might be willing to purchase it if it can do what I want it to. Downside is I downloaded a demo months and months ago, checked it once or twice, then let it expire so I can't check it now.

I'm looking for not only something to manage characters, but hopefully interact with Map Tool. I was hoping that IT would work with dragging and dropping but I'm running into three problems:

1) Latest version of IT doesn't let you drag and drop into Map Tool's latest version.
2) When it did, it didn't include properties & attack macros
3) You can't drag and drop (or otherwise send) tokens from MT to IT.

While DM G wouldn't give me this easy functionality either, I'm fairly confident that if it could generate the XML for a token I could just replace the file in the .rptok and that'd be good enough for now.

So thoughts on this approach? Is there other software that I could potentially use? Thanks in advance for your input

(And, I don't intend on switching to SW or A!X or whatever for this game, so let's stick to 3.5e thanks!)

SirGunther
Cave Troll

Post by SirGunther »

PCGen exports characters in IT format, but I don't know if it will do .rptok format. It's open source though, so if you code, you could probably add in the .rptok functionality yourself. I use PCGen, and while it's not perfect, it's pretty powerful, and free.

On a side note, I would looooove it if IT would export .rptok files with macros for attacks, saves, and skills. That would be so amazingly awesome I might pass out with excitement.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Gosh it's been age since I have been able to get on here.

Yes there was one. It was created by Jay. It was in the InitTool section of the forums at one point in time.

I can not seen to find the topic though.
--
Big Mac

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Big_Mac wrote:Gosh it's been age since I have been able to get on here.

Yes there was one. It was created by Jay. It was in the InitTool section of the forums at one point in time.

I can not seen to find the topic though.
Actually MoSaT wrote a PCGen output file that would create a IT 1.0 group file. I'd like to import/export data and macros from MT to IT someday but right now they use different formats for the data and different engines for the macros. So it will take quite awhile to get that working.

Return to “Links & External Resources”