An RPG Sound Mixer - Mixere

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

An RPG Sound Mixer - Mixere

Post by dorpond »

This one is nice and does just about everything I need it to:

http://mixere.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

Hey TheLev, I think you will like this one also since you and I 'understand' real mixing.

Things to mention:
- you can assign take a snapshot of a current mix and then assign a key to it.
- you can specify fade and and fade out times when (M)ute is hit.
- I had tow separate mixes opened and I could cross fade between them.

Pretty simple, small in size, and powerful.

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

Hmm... I like this better...
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Yeah, I like this one much better also.

Things I have learned that will be helpful to new users:

- You can in fact select multiple tracks by clicking on the track numbers.

- When you have multiple tracks selected, you can start them all by using the P button (or menu -> track -> play). Same goes for those other controls in the menu.

- Clicking the play button on one track while multiple are selected will only play that one track.

- Play around with Shift, Alt, and Control clicks on each slider - they do some really cool stuff. For example, I can Shift Left click on the pitch slider and it resets it to 0 again. If I Alt Click on the Volume, it will automate a gradual raise or lower in volume. So play around with those key-clicks!

- Yes, open two different projects! You can play them at the same time or even cross fade between the two.

- If you right mouse click above the sliders, it will remove and of the "blue" automation stuff you may have accidentally put in place. Personally, I don't automate so I don't want to see all that blue - bye bye! :)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

One negative that this application has over RPGSoundmixer is that I cannot play tracks on order or randomly - at least I havent figured out how too anyway. That means that I have to manually start each track as the last finishes. hmmm, that sort of stinks.. :(

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Hey Dorpond What do you use to rip your music from CD's?
--
Big Mac

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

@Big_Mac: Media Player or Music Match Jukebox. Just standard stuff - rip to MP3.

Update:
OK, I got an e-mail from the developer and I guess Mixere is really designed for real time mixing. that being said, I cannot randomly play these tracks or play those tracks in order. Nope, I have to hit play buttons all the time.

Bummer...

My hunt continues..

(I told Trevor yesterday that we need someone to head up a Sound Tool project at RPTools. There is such a market for a good RPG Sound Tool and everything I have tested and used stinks, minus RPGSoundmixer, but that tool doesn't work with Vista and I see no sign of life over there on their boards. I think their project is dead unfortunately. Man, if any of you know how to program and know sound, let's get working on a great Sound Tool! :) )

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Arael
Cave Troll

Post by Arael »

Don't u have by any chance a program like this one for Linux?

BigO
Dragon

Post by BigO »

Can you be more specific about what features you are looking for?
--O

I am a small and fragile flower.
http://maptool.rocks.andyousuck.com

Arael
Cave Troll

Post by Arael »

I knew it... If I start talking about Linux the BigO will show up :D

Thanks BigO

I'm looking for a simple multi-track editing tool.

I mean I want a program where I can put some background music with some looping effects like crickets, wind or things like that...

It's there a plug-in for the Amarok like this??? :roll:

I promise I'll investigate a little next time before bothering all u in the forum :P

BigO
Dragon

Post by BigO »

Arael wrote:I knew it... If I start talking about Linux the BigO will show up :D

Thanks BigO

I'm looking for a simple multi-track editing tool.

I mean I want a program where I can put some background music with some looping effects like crickets, wind or things like that...

It's there a plug-in for the Amarok like this??? :roll:

I promise I'll investigate a little next time before bothering all u in the forum :P
If what you want is a focus on editing, not a focus on fancy playback, then you should start with Audacity. That's kind of the standard open source multi track editor.

Like I said though, Audacity is an editor and isn't that great for playing back looping audio in real-time so you might need to look elsewhere if that's what you're trying to do.
--O

I am a small and fragile flower.
http://maptool.rocks.andyousuck.com

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Thanks for the link to Mixere Dorpond,

it's a pretty nifty tool. It's true that it's missing a random/shuffle feature, but I guess it wasn't designed in that perspective. To workaround that, I use Winamp at the same time. I use Scramby (and now Mixere) for the sound effects and loops, and winamp for background music (for which I use the shuffle function).

I guess that from now on I'll use both Winamp and Mixere for the sound effects and loops.

I actually have a question that maybe you can help with: I use Vista for my online RPG sessions (using maptool as well of course), with all my sound tools outputting to Ventrilo (via scramby) for sound communication with the players. Although I like the Vista Sound mixer better than XP's, It has the odd limitation to only be able to output sounds from all apps to the Default device selected in the Vista Audio Mixer. So with Mixere, I can output the sounds to Ventrilo, but then I can't hear what it's actually playing in my USB headset.

Do you guys know a third party tool, or a workaround that would allow to remediate that in Vista ?

Return to “Links & External Resources”