Technical: Port Forwarding - http://www.portforward.com/engl

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Technical: Port Forwarding - http://www.portforward.com/engl

Post by trevor »

http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... rindex.htm

This may have been posted somewhere else, but I recently bumped into it, and it's neat, it's got user's guides and walk throughs for specific routers on how to set up port forwarding
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Very handy link!

Maybe put it in the documents...
Game On!

IMarvinTPA
Dragon

Post by IMarvinTPA »

mikey
Giant

Thir killing me Whitey, killing me!

Post by mikey »

Last night I was going to introduce MT to two of my face to face gamers as they are itching to see MT in motion. I had them download MT, TM, and Ventrillo, got Ventrillo server up and running, then had them fart around with TM and let them snag a token for themselves on the internet, then went to start up a server so I could show them the ropes,mmmmm nope. That was @ EST 8:40 pm. I finaly got my router forwarded and server set up by EST 1:00 am!

Now, obviously I cut them loose and explained this was a user (ME) error not a MT error. I jumped straight into the internet and tried to learn everything I could about port forwarding.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have a Dell Inspiration maxed out with all the lateset stuff, I also have a Linksys router 54g v5 , or something like that. I went to the AWESOME portforward link we have here on RPtools forums. I followed the step by step instructions on port forwarding.
I then went into my router's utility tool and uploaded all the newest operating software for my model and installed it. no problems.

Now I get stuck. I called com-cast and asked them for the DNS that they use and they said "we dont give out that information".

So I read some more and saw where my router's utlity tool can see it. I did that and entered it into the proper areas, and still nothing.

It wasn't untill much later after going back and forth did I realize that my computer was plugged into the router, and my wireless connection was working at the same time. In other words my computer had both connections (wired and wireless) connected in the network connections window. I did have internet connectivity but my comp could not be seen.
PS all firewalls had been down before I even started.

SO on my own I selected the wired connection and clicked on disable.
I then pulled up my wirless properties window, followed the directions from the website again, I have everything written down. Then blamo I can be seen (my computer) and I can run a game again, and I still have internet access.

It is EST 1:00 am I am happy but tired so I log off.

Now when I turn my computer back on will I have to do all this reconfigureing of my Wireless properties again?
ALso am I to assume I should not have both my wired and wireless conncetions open and connected at the same time?

I just want to be able to set this thing up, and be able to turn my computer on and off 1000000000 times not have to reconfigure everytime.

Please pardon spelling and lack off technical terminology.

Mikey :idea:

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The main trick to making the configuration "stick" is to set up your computer with a static IP address instead of using dhcp. This makes it so that you don't have to set up the routing to forward to if you PC changes local IP address (although if you only have one computer on your home network, you probably don't have to worry about this anyway)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Also you don't have to disable your Wired LAN connection. Just don't plug the ethernet cable into your PC and it will use the Wireless.

Return to “Links & External Resources”