Virtual Combat Cards

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Virtual Combat Cards

Post by Hawke »

Virtual Combat Cards (VCC) is a tool designed by Dungeon Masters for Dungeon Masters. Designed to be simple and easy to use, VCC will help you track several aspects of your D&D 4th Edition combat encounters.

VCC is free, open-source and multi-platform.
Cool new features coming in version 1.0
Time for a little foreshadowing as works progress on version 1.0. A lot of nice features are on the way, to state a few:

You can now store your monsters and assemble parties quickly (it even helps you with the XP math). This is due to a completely new file format and data structure.
D&D Insider Capture: This combines a Firefox plugin with new VCC features that will allow you to automatically get all the relevant information and the stat block into your collection of monsters.

New interface that shows the stat blocks. Gone are the days of having 3 source books open, or 6 tabs on your browser pointing to different monsters. You can have it all in VCC!
Screenshot
Spoiler
Virtual Combat Cards

I haven't used it - waiting for statblock inputs... but this looks to do a whole lot I'd love to see MapTool do by itself. Hellllllooooo 1.4 =)

Rumble
Deity

Re: Virtual Combat Cards

Post by Rumble »

Hawke wrote:
Virtual Combat Cards (VCC) is a tool designed by Dungeon Masters for Dungeon Masters. Designed to be simple and easy to use, VCC will help you track several aspects of your D&D 4th Edition combat encounters.

VCC is free, open-source and multi-platform.
Cool new features coming in version 1.0
Time for a little foreshadowing as works progress on version 1.0. A lot of nice features are on the way, to state a few:

You can now store your monsters and assemble parties quickly (it even helps you with the XP math). This is due to a completely new file format and data structure.
D&D Insider Capture: This combines a Firefox plugin with new VCC features that will allow you to automatically get all the relevant information and the stat block into your collection of monsters.

New interface that shows the stat blocks. Gone are the days of having 3 source books open, or 6 tabs on your browser pointing to different monsters. You can have it all in VCC!
Screenshot
Spoiler
Virtual Combat Cards

I haven't used it - waiting for statblock inputs... but this looks to do a whole lot I'd love to see MapTool do by itself. Hellllllooooo 1.4 =)
A lot of that is stuff the various frameworks do, and would be awesome. However, I wouldn't cleave too closely to anything game-specific; rather, what I'd like to see most is the initiative integration (so we can set arbitrary timers for various things - something that comes up in plenty of games; have things happen at specific times, etc.).

I can take or leave any 4E specific stuff; I just look forward to robust initiative options. Which, I believe Jay has said, is something they're looking at.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Re: Virtual Combat Cards

Post by Hawke »

Right, I agree with you re: the system specific. A lot of systems have timed conditions and some way to automate that would be fantastic. IT already does a good job, just can't wait to get it into MT. Also might provide inspiration for various other features as well. They say they'll be able to import CB/MB XML... since it's Open Source there could be some useful code to look at.

Return to “Links & External Resources”