Comprehensive List of Virtual Tabletop Software

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

heruca
Dragon

Comprehensive List of Virtual Tabletop Software

Post by heruca »

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html#anchor6

Many of you are already familiar with this list, but since the list had grown to 33 programs and was getting unwieldy, I reorganized it by breaking it down into Commercial, Free, and Abandoned categories. I also updated any broken links, and added some more information to make the list more useful.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Awesome Heruca! :)

The funny thing about some of those abandoned ones... a few had some good ideas and different takes on how to do things... and some just stunk :P :wink:
Game On!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

And you should put Gametable under "Abandoned"
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Heh, I certainly considered it, Trevor. But there does seem to be a real effort by some people to keep adding functionality, like the recent pog-rotation mod someone did.

I always wonder what would have happened if MapTool and Gametable had joined forces early on and collaborated on a single tool. I seem to recall that you proposed such a thing, but they turned down the idea.

Emryys, be sure to point out what you think were some of the good ideas or features that died with those abandoned projects.

ego093
Giant

Post by ego093 »

GameTable was a great tool... it just had some obvious design quirks. The forums still seem to be alive, though, so I wouldn't call it dead yet.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

heruca wrote:Emryys, be sure to point out what you think were some of the good ideas or features that died with those abandoned projects.
Will do... now I just have to go through them and remember... ;)
ego093 wrote:GameTable was a great tool... it just had some obvious design quirks. The forums still seem to be alive, though, so I wouldn't call it dead yet.
Hey GRiP hasn't been updated in a Loonnngg time, but a few of us still find it does some things rather well... ;)
Game On!

Jester
Cave Troll

Post by Jester »

It's probably safe to list ScreenMonkey as abandoned. Last update was two and a half years ago. You can still buy it, but why would you? :lol:
Now Playing:
Role-Playing

Good v. Evil, GM, Custom Fantasy Setting (On-line)
Black Talons 05, Player, Heavy Gear 3E Role-Playing (On-line)

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Nah, ScreenMonkey Lite came out in May 2005. And I figure if it's still being sold by the developer, it's not truly abandoned, even if they've stopped updating it. Presumably, they still offer tech support, too.

trevor

Post by trevor »

VT Challenge:

If anyone can find a better VT on this list than MT, commercial, free, or otherwise, post "why" here.

Our goal is to being MT to the top of the mountain, and keep it there. If anyone is doing it better, we want to know, and why they are better.

trevor

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote: If anyone can find a better VT
Let me rephrase: If there are any features that the other VTs support that you think would make MT more valuable, post those.

Although with the list you guys have put together for 1.2 I think we're in pretty good shape :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

heruca wrote:Nah, ScreenMonkey Lite came out in May 2005. And I figure if it's still being sold by the developer, it's not truly abandoned, even if they've stopped updating it. Presumably, they still offer tech support, too.
Supposedly once they get FM 8 out, they will take a look at updating SM... Tech support is there, but erratic...
Game On!

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I paid for SM, and have pretty much abandoned it due to lack of updates. I've had a wishlist up there for a couple years, and nothing.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Heroman
Cave Troll

Post by Heroman »

ScreenMonkey should be dead, for all intents and purposes :)

Requests for even the simplest of enhancements which could afford great creativity were basically ignored. No updates, bug fixes, tweaks even with a community which wanted to radically improve it.

I could not suggest the use of that app to anyone. The map system was horrible (re-rendered maps when you updated the minis or changed fog of war), nothing more than super basic chat even. It had potential (being pure browser base), but there was just too much lacking from development support. so sad....well except it's failure to appeal and the graphical limits of openrpg lead me here :P

If you need to list it good lord mention how bad and simplistic it is :)

-Heroman

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

It's dead as far as I'm concerned. It was never intended to be as full-featured as MT, but you're absolutely right, basic things that all people were asking for were never put in place. And we're talking about paying customers.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Heroman
Cave Troll

Post by Heroman »

Very much agreed. I actually was "ZeekLumpkins" there and probably doubled or so the ability of the SM release with the add-ins I coded, but there came to be a limit to how much bandaging could be done without any additional support for the base product....

Return to “Links & External Resources”