Forms tutorial

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Forms tutorial

Post by CoveredInFish »

I've written a forms tutorial (for maptool macro). There happened to be some questions about that and I felt the need. The existing tutorial in the wiki (that I learned so much from) seems to confuse some users so I tried to give simpler examples and reduce the overall content.

The more or less final version is now in the wiki: Forms_tutorial

Critique is still welcome.
Last edited by CoveredInFish on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: Forms tutorial (WIP, critic requested)

Post by mfrizzell »

Looks good, just what I need.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

html 3.2 & CSS 1+ are what are supported by the underlying java controls. This is important to note very early on.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Update.

Mentioned the html/css version. Closed some fixme's.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

argh. And you make this AFTER I've spend weeks learning html to create a couple of (rather complex) input forms for my framework... :x

Nice job though, looks good! When your done, your going to add this to the wiki?

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Sorry for being late.

Yes i intend to. I hope the wiki syntax isnt to different :?

EDIT: updated again. Second example is done. Only thing missing now is a section about image buttons.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

LOL, nice opening title:
HTML forms covered in fish

edit: one remark, did you intentionally leave out the 'line option' in the code sections? I personally find it easier if they're there so:
<source lang="mtmacro" line> instead of <source lang="mtmacro">, but its a matter of taste.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

I had it first written with the line option but it looked broken. There are no line numbers and some code *lines* have scroll bars. I see that at other pages in wiki too.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

And there is another concern: the wiki doesn't create the line numbers using a separate table column in the generated HTML so any attempt to highlight the entire chunk of code and copy/paste it into another window grabs all of the line numbers, too. (Or at least it did the last time I tried it quite a few months ago.)

So for longer examples that the reader might want to copy/paste into a macro window for testing/experimentation purposes, leaving out the line numbers is probably best. Instead, maybe some kind of font control or HTML comments can be used to highlight sections of code being discussed...? (I don't know how much font control is possible inside a <source> block, but I expect there isn't any.)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:And there is another concern: the wiki doesn't create the line numbers using a separate table column in the generated HTML so any attempt to highlight the entire chunk of code and copy/paste it into another window grabs all of the line numbers, too. (Or at least, it did the last time I tried it quite a few months ago.)

So for longer examples that the reader might want to copy/paste into a macro window for testing/experimentation purposes, leaving out the line numbers is probably best. Instead, maybe some kind of font control or HTML comments can be used to highlight sections of code being discussed...? (I don't know how much font control is possible inside a <source> block, but I expect there isn't any.)
that is (still) true and indeed annoying. Though I still like it more with the line option on... no biggie though.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Forms tutorial

Post by wolph42 »

I see you added rumble's click based targeting, I've just implemented that into my framework.
In all looks pretty neat wiki, very very usefull.

btw.: Might I suggest you update your first post with the 'correct' link to the wiki?

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Forms tutorial

Post by CoveredInFish »

wolph42 wrote:btw.: Might I suggest you update your first post with the 'correct' link to the wiki?
I kind of already did. Maybe i make it more prominent.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”