Official(?) MT 1.3 Documentation Project

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Official(?) MT 1.3 Documentation Project

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote: Its probably best to "quick repair" such markup. So text should be text and headings should be headings, that way the document is better to read&edit and its easier for me to tex it up later. But we souldnt spend much affort/time into making it look nice.
well as I mentioned, I did that, but for some parts (big parts actually) but it does not fall in the 'quick' category, unless you're satisfied that ALL text make up is gone.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Nah ... better some structure than nothing. I think chapter/section/subsection should be set as actual headings, for the rest it is probably enough if i can recognize it manually.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

I would also highly suggest much in the way of optimization comments or "callouts". One big example is people who dump 500 Dundjinni images(default to 200px per inch) into maptool and wonder why their maps take forever for the clients to receive and load. Ditto with the drawing tools. Ditto with the VBL tools, re: circle tool vs X's for columns, trees, etc...

I say "callouts" as they generally bring quick attention to something by being visually prominent.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Good point. There'll be need for that.

I'll have to experiment a bit in LaTeX but I'm sure there'll be something eye-catching possible.It looks like TikZ allows some awful graphic integration (example)

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

jfrazierjr wrote:I would also highly suggest much in the way of optimization comments or "callouts". One big example is people who dump 500 Dundjinni images(default to 200px per inch) into maptool and wonder why their maps take forever for the clients to receive and load. Ditto with the drawing tools. Ditto with the VBL tools, re: circle tool vs X's for columns, trees, etc...

I say "callouts" as they generally bring quick attention to something by being visually prominent.
I was thinking the same way. I'd say Box or Sidebar instead of Callout but I think we mean the same thing. Headings could be "Optimization: Smart VBL" or "Optimization: Just Enough Image." That way the reader would get used to seeing, remembering and applying the contents of those boxes.

Gamerdude
Cave Troll

Post by Gamerdude »

Hi, back after a long time away. Curious to see how the manual is coming along - I noticed last post here was late Feb 2011. Did the project die?
Al B. USAF RET.
*Chief Organizer and Bottle Washer - 'User Creations' Forum*

MT Framework Directory **LISTING** (UPDT 2012-02-10)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Gamerdude wrote:Hi, back after a long time away. Curious to see how the manual is coming along - I noticed last post here was late Feb 2011. Did the project die?
The thought lingers on in my signature...

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

"Die" is such a hard word. Its more like ... a long sleep.

If you like to bring some fresh energy into this it might wake up :D

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote:"Die" is such a hard word. Its more like ... a long sleep.

If you like to bring some fresh energy into this it might wake up :D
I think hybernation is a suitable description. Either that or its in cryo state 8)

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Considering that the MapTool macro language will be changed for 1.4, I think people are less willing to help add to the documentation. Only a few times have I needed an example of code and there not being one there. It took me a long time to understand CIF's forms tutorial, but I got there with some assistance from the forum.

I'd more than willingly contribute to the documentation (I added a line on the google doc a few weeks ago that was missing), however I feel my time is better spent ploughing through my framework for a release.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

This thread was not for macro stuff. It was for MapTool itself. Think of it as a written version of the excellent screencast tutorials that brad put together...

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

What we did did until now: we collected text and united it into a single document. This is mostly stuff from the wiki. Macro - indeed - is not the focus for this.

It is NOT seemless. What we didnt do until now is: read it, fix the gaps and seems, make it feel like *one text*.

If that is done I'd format the stuff and latex it.

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

I did write some new material in the drawing tools section. But soon got sidetracked by real life. I hope to do more one day, but my work schedule for real life means you can't rely on me. Will this material get added to the Wiki? I question the need for a PDF document, except as a support for the wiki.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

If someone adds it ... it'll be added. If you need a user account for the wiki I think you'd need to ask craig. It was open once but the anti-spam-measures were broken ...

Sadly my free time is pretty precious as well, or i'd search for new stuff and add it myself.

mjn
Kobold

Post by mjn »

Thought the documentation project seems a bit stalled, I thought I'd pitch in and do some work on it. Besides fixing a few typos, I've been adding content to "2. MapTool Windows & Objects". I've added a high level description of the MT pane layout using screen captures. Without going into a lot of detail, I describe each pane using screen captures.

Later, we can add sections to the document that drill down into these panes as appropriate.

I have the PDF snapshot of Azhrei's networking paper and propose that we add it and maybe edited it down a bit.

Personally, I think the idea of having a downloadable manual would be an excellent addition to the MT documentation set. The wiki is useful, especially the tutorials. I propose that we make the manual be more expository and leave the tutorials for the wiki - videos work so much better on a computer screen than on paper. References to the tutorials can be included in the manual, but the links need to be stable and the tutorials need to be up-to-date.

Comments are welcome.

- Mark Norton

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”