Help - Fog of War covers GM view

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Fabricio
Kobold

Help - Fog of War covers GM view

Post by Fabricio »

I'm really new to maptools and I'm having a problem with FOW, that must be simple, but I can't find what I'm missing...

The FOW is totally covering part of the map even though I'm in the GM view mode.

I had experienced some options at "preferences" and maybe did some wrong change that I can't recover now...

PS. I'm working in maptools offline by now...

Here are 2 screenshots that shows what is happening...

On players view:

On GM view mode:

Am I missing something or when I go online the map will be visible to me as the GM?

Thanks for any help!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Help - Fog of War covers GM view

Post by Azhrei »

What version of MapTool are you using?

MapTool uses a textured overlay to produce the fog effect. This is usually an operation that the Java runtime passes on to the DirectX layer of Windows (I'm assuming you're on Windows, since you don't say but the window frame looks like Vista), and from there it's given to the video driver to resolve.

It could be a bug in either the DirectX layer or the video driver itself. My suggestion is to update both of those first. Don't use Windows Update as it won't necessarily get you the latest -- go to the vendor site and download the latest version and then install those instead.

Fabricio
Kobold

Post by Fabricio »

Azhrei wrote:What version of MapTool are you using?

MapTool uses a textured overlay to produce the fog effect. This is usually an operation that the Java runtime passes on to the DirectX layer of Windows (I'm assuming you're on Windows, since you don't say but the window frame looks like Vista), and from there it's given to the video driver to resolve.

It could be a bug in either the DirectX layer or the video driver itself. My suggestion is to update both of those first. Don't use Windows Update as it won't necessarily get you the latest -- go to the vendor site and download the latest version and then install those instead.
Thank you.
I'm using Maptools version 1.3.b84. Yes my notebook runs windows vista 32 bits. I recently updated my video driver from Dell website, but I'll take a look if in the intell web site is there a later version of the driver... I can't see my version of DirectX now cause I'm running Ubuntu, but I believe that it be the 9 version...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Fabricio wrote:I can't see my version of DirectX now cause I'm running Ubuntu, but I believe that it be the 9 version...
Does MapTool work okay when running Ubuntu?

Note that there are known problems with the Ubuntu network setup (if you want to run a server be sure to search the forums for Ubuntu and Network), and the OpenJDK doesn't work as well as the Sun Java JRE. Since the OpenJDK installs by default, you'll need to uninstall it and then install the Sun package instead. Later releases of Ubuntu include the Sun JRE in their repository (either the "universe" or "restricted" repo, but I don't recall off-hand).

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”