Tokens and portraits

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Bhoritz
Giant

Tokens and portraits

Post by Bhoritz »

Is it possible to have the different states that are associated with a character (life bar, status,....) appear on the portrait instead of on the token? Not a big difference, but it would look less clutered on the board, I think.

Rumble
Deity

Re: Tokens and portraits

Post by Rumble »

Bhoritz wrote:Is it possible to have the different states that are associated with a character (life bar, status,....) appear on the portrait instead of on the token? Not a big difference, but it would look less clutered on the board, I think.
Nope.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

The states can be visible only in certain circumstances though. onMouseover helps with the cluttered look. You can also specify, gm, owner and everyone.

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

Displaying for owner, GM or everyone is not really an issue for me, because I use Maptool as a display in face to face games. One screen facing me, one facing the players.

I make states and portraits visibles on mouseover. Which can be an issue in face to face game, because if I run one instance of the program, all I do is visible on the screen of the players (which mirrors mine) and if I run two instances, I can't use the mousover to show the portraits to the players. I suppose I'll solve this by using two computers...

What I wanted to say is that I find viewing the states on token:

more obstrusive than it would be on the portrait:

But, that's not very important, just a preference for appearance.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

This was requested several times and might happen one day if some UI parts get redesigned. Just dont hold your breath to it.

Ideas for workaround:
You could create a property "conditions" and show states there - but you cant show images there, just text.
You could create a special macro driven frame that shows conditions/states (graphics would be possible here), but "layering" the states on top of the token image is not.
You could recreate/optimize your state images so that they are less disturbing. But that really depends on the number of conditions you have to track... if you have to many they probably wont be distinguishable.

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

I'll wait if it comes. That's not really urgent.
I don't need many conditions, playing face to face means that a lot of things don't need to be on screen.
Your idea of using a property "conditions" (or even two or three) could indeed be enough (macros are out of my grasp for now). Thanks

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Bhoritz wrote:[...] and if I run two instances, I can't use the mousover to show the portraits to the players.
Actually you can. Use the mouse on the external monitor to position on top of a token so that the portrait comes up, then use Alt-Tab to move the focus away from that window. The portrait will still be up.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:
Bhoritz wrote:[...] and if I run two instances, I can't use the mousover to show the portraits to the players.
Actually you can. Use the mouse on the external monitor to position on top of a token so that the portrait comes up, then use Alt-Tab to move the focus away from that window. The portrait will still be up.
nice to know, I was planning something like this!
Bhoritz wrote:I'll wait if it comes. That's not really urgent.
I don't need many conditions, playing face to face means that a lot of things don't need to be on screen.
Your idea of using a property "conditions" (or even two or three) could indeed be enough (macros are out of my grasp for now). Thanks
some things are easier than you think:

Code: Select all

*Condition:[h: stateList = getTokenStates()][h:sList = ""][h, foreach(item, stateList, ""), if(getState(item)): sList=listAppend(sList,item)][r:sList] 
Just cram that line into your token properties list.

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

Thanks, I'll try it.

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

It works quite well. I use the conditions to record the manoeuvre I choose for the NPCs and it displays very well. Thank you very much. Now I am going to try to understand it. :wink:

And thanks also for the mousover use on two screens.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”