[Solved] Wiki updating problem

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

JML
Dragon

Re: Wiki updating problem

Post by JML »

Azhrei wrote:For those who have seen the "blank page" symptom: try right-clicking on the blank page and choosing "view source". Post into a CODE block whatever you get.

It might be that some headers are being generated but no content; that might be helpful in tracking down where the problem is.

Perhaps an exact timestamp for when you received the blank page would help as well. It would let Craig look at the available logs (if there are any) and maybe correlate a specific log entry back to the problem...
OK, so using FireFox 4.0.1, FireBug extension gives me:

for URL:

Code: Select all

http://lmwcs.com/maptool/index.php?title=MapTool_ChangeLog_%28by_build_version%29&action=submit
The received page code is:

<html>
<head></head>
<body></body>
</html>
Looking in the DOM I can dig out:

wikEdAutoUpdate="Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:03:31 GMT"
wikEdSummaryHistory="Minor%20title%20level%20change%0AAdding%20a%20second%20usage%20with%20map%20parameter%0AAnother%20way%20to%20do%20it"
But I don't know much about DOM and I am surely missing useful informations. Tell me what you might need.

My last attempt gave me the network request (sent):

header:
header

Host	lmwcs.com
User-Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Accept	text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language	fr,fr-fr;q=0.8,en-us;q=0.5,en;q=0.3
Accept-Encoding	gzip, deflate
Accept-Charset	ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive	115
Connection	keep-alive
Cookie	lmwcscom_mwwikidb_mtd_UserName=JML; lmwcscom_mwwikidb_mtd__session=67c235bc58f1d250f3ccc841cbda86da; lmwcscom_mwwikidb_mtd_UserID=586

wpAntispam	
wpSection	
wpStarttime	20110701133155
wpEdittime	20110624205048
wpScrolltop	0
wpSummary	Minor title level change
wpSave	Save page
wpAutoSummary	d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e
wpEditToken	d5c018653c44c946fa2250c005150fcd+\
I get much similar informations from Safari 5.0.5.
I don't really know if anything is of some use in all this. Just tell me.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

It looks like all of these users are using non-English locales, right? Maybe that's the common factor?

Is anyone here using a non-English locale and having the wiki work properly?

What brought this to my attention was the mention of the Windows code page in wolph's post. It's interesting that IE got a response and the others didn't (for wolph, anyway). Perhaps a bug in the language switch stuff?

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

Azhrei wrote:It looks like all of these users are using non-English locales, right? Maybe that's the common factor?
I thought it might be a factor and that's why I mentioned french(european) ISP in my first post, but forgot to say french OS and browsers :oops:
wolph42 wrote:Save the ip address I've got everything in English. Though not sure whether it's uk or us.
Including OS ?

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

OK, I think I found what my problem was (and may be Wolph42's also). And I'm a bit ashamed because it seems I didn't pay attention to a message displayed in bold font:
WARNING: This page is 34 kilobytes long; some browsers may have problems editing pages approaching or longer than 32kb. Please consider breaking the page into smaller sections.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

This explains why I (and others) was able to create a new page today, able to edit small parts with the right wing Edit link, but not big parts or big pages. It looks like I didn't try to edit small parts for a while.

So does anyone know how to get around this limitation ?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Nope not the problem, unless EVERY page is larger than 32kb. Ok I didn't try EVERY page but I did try a small one like Wiki: json.reverse().
by the way I *can* see the preview, I just cant submit the change.

I also remember trying to change small pages, which lacked a lot of info that I figured out painstakingly... as this was never saved I fear its all lost. I did send some updates to craig, but I don't think he ever did anything with it.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

wolph42 wrote:Nope not the problem, unless EVERY page is larger than 32kb. Ok I didn't try EVERY page but I did try a small one like Wiki: json.reverse().
OK, you're right on this one. But I'm wondering if this has got something to do with templates in this one case ?
I was just glad to find out that I'm able to make some updates when I thought I wasn't able to do a single one.
wolph42 wrote:by the way I *can* see the preview, I just cant submit the change.
Same for me. So, it seems we're finally on the same boat. At least, this narrows things a bit :|

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

OK, having made a few more testing.

At first I thought the difference between articles or parts that could be updated and others lied in their size, but then wolph42 pointed at a small article that we couldn't update. I noticed there were quite a few templates used in this article and wondered if this could get in the way.

After some tests on different articles and parts of them, I think updating is taken into account if, and only if, the edited text and all preceding text in the article is "pure" text without images, code formatting or templates.

Among others, I did the following test on the Introduction to Mapping article:
  1. I'm unable to update the whole article.
  2. Updating the First Things First: What is MapTool? part is OK.
  3. Updating the About this Guide part is OK.
  4. Updating the Getting Images into your MapTool Resource Library part fails: there's images in it.
  5. Updating any following part fails, even if there only text in it..
Can someone tell me if I'm right or not ?

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

I definitly tried updating (whole) pages without images and it failed.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

I think almost anything else than text is a problem. I know "code" blocks were the only thing in the way in one of my tests, and I think templates also, so, if any of those were in these pages…

But more thorough testing is surely needed. Sadly I might not have much time for this in the coming days.

JML
Dragon

Re: [Solved] Wiki updating problem

Post by JML »

Registered users able to edit again thanks to Craig.

See Temp Wiki Update Thread.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”