Adjusting scale of background map?

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

billcoke
Kobold

Adjusting scale of background map?

Post by billcoke »

I've looked around the board but didn't see what I thought applied to this. I'm trying to scale the image used as MAP on the 'Map Properties' dialog. This map image (if used) shows up behind everything else that you draw or place on your map. I've found that you cannot change the scale of the map image used (say make it 5x larger) without changing either the "Pixels per Cell" or "Grid Size", but both of these impact the drawing layer that I want to put on top of the image.

I thought that this setting would be under "Adjust Board Position" but that dialog only allows me to change the "Snap To" location (NONE, GRID, TILE) and the X&Y Offsets. I would like a scale setting here.

Is this doable via some hidden command or setting?

I did try changing the size of the image in GIMP to the size I want (I'm making an island so it is 1500'x900') but the .png file is HUGE. Loading the huge file bogs down my system to a crawl.

What am I missing?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Adjusting scale of background map?

Post by aliasmask »

You're better off just putting the image on the background layer and resize it that way. Also, if you're going to resize it in gimp, use jpg or gif because png doesn't compress very much. I often use maps as big as 6000x4500 pixels (60x45 grid squares) with no problem. People with slower connections take a couple of minutes to download, but once loaded it remains cached on their computer. I found that you don't want to have the scale too small when stretching. I would go smaller than 1:4 scale. So, if your map is 1000' x 1000' where 1' = 10 pixels (grid = 5' @50px) you'll end up with map about 10,000x10,000 which is probably too big. You can halve the map which quarters the size and then stretch it on the background layer to fit your 1000'x1000' area. To get the sizing right, I would paste the map, then paste another copy at lower right corner. Then stretch the first one over the second one and delete the second one.

billcoke
Kobold

Post by billcoke »

I did try saving the image in GIMP as a jpg but then MT wouldn't load the jpg file as a MAP image. In GIMP the image is 300"x220" at 50PPI (I am building an island and wanted everything in one graphic for each level). I tried loading the jpg and MT would just become unresponsive, the memory would get sucked up and the PC would just bog out. After 5 min I just killed off the Java process behind MT to get the PC running again. I start MT w/ 4096 memory and can see that my PC has 4GB of memory that is all getting sucked up.

I tried various iterations of PPI in GIMP but then MT will change the size to keep the PPI setting on the map in sync.

I know how much I end up changing/stretching the image when I drop it on as an object in the background layer, so I would just like to be able to apply that setting and let the map go in as a MAP layer which is behind the background layer. At least from what I understand. I've only been using the tools for 2-3 months.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Well, I've used 72ppi for the jpg and it loads just fine. I don't like using the map layer because I like to position the start location at the center of the screen with a default load (0,0 in upper left corner). Also, as I mentioned, you can't stretch the image on map layer.

I just use the typical settings to start MapTool: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21856

Even if your system can handle 4 gigs of resident memory, people who connect to you may not be able to. I found I never needed to have higher than 1024 for my max mem setting.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”