Map Tool Documentation

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Blakey
Dragon

Map Tool Documentation

Post by Blakey »

This is a place to discuss the documentation for map tool. Where is it, who is keeping it up to date, how it is implemented and so on.

Post your ideas on how we can best manage this resource.

Blakey (who is definitely not a member of the team but keen on solid documentation!)
The guy in the green hat.

Matrissa the Enchantress
Giant

Post by Matrissa the Enchantress »

Just point me in the right direction to find existing files, tell me what format to write in and I'll pick a topic and start tackling what I can. :D

We should probably set up a formal "editorial" team of about three or four people through whom all new and revised documentation should be vetted before release to the "public" - you know, confirming that instructions acurately reflect the reality of the application, that screen shots and illustrations are current and looking out for bad grammar and obvious spelling typos.

I'd assume that most anyone on the editorial team would also write and update documentation, so anything they work on has to be vetted by the other members.

~Matrissa~
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Actually the documentation is just a wiki atm. And the team is just the people with edit rights. You are now a member ;)

The first thing that would be useful is to update the 1.2 so we can better support 1.2 as I move it to formal release status. The docs are here:

http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptooldoc_1_2:intro

Just login with your forum information, then in the bottom left click Edit this Page
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Matrissa the Enchantress
Giant

Post by Matrissa the Enchantress »

trevor wrote:Actually the documentation is just a wiki atm. And the team is just the people with edit rights. You are now a member ;)
Thanks! :-)

Is a Wiki the way you want to continue to maintain documentation in the future? I'm asking because I just happen to own Adobe Acrobat Pro... Even if the wiki is maintained as the "most up to date" documentation, perhaps putting out a PDF version every so often would be worth consideration.
trevor wrote:The first thing that would be useful is to update the 1.2 so we can better support 1.2 as I move it to formal release status.
That's sort of what I was thinking too. There's stuff I don't know how to do yet, and this would give me a good reason to find out how (e.g., macros, chat "stuff" (like private messages and what not) and what the "speech" tab is for. I know these things are out there, but have no idea how to work with them.

~M~
Last edited by Matrissa the Enchantress on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

trevor

Post by trevor »

We're in discussions on a web site rewrite. It's still in "research" mode on what eventual technology we'll use for the documentation. For now we'll keep it the wiki since that's set up, and we can eventually just copy-paste from it to the new solution when we get there.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

And there are plenty of tools to convert wiki formatting into PDF or other formats...

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Is this project going anywhere?
The guy in the green hat.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

I rewrote the Tokens Docs for 1.3, but it is still Wiki
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

trevor

Post by trevor »

Blakey wrote:Is this project going anywhere?
It all boils down to time. I can't do anything about it personally until 1.3 is out, then I'll allocate time to it, until then I have to leave it to the army of volunteers :)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I had a thought (amazing I know).

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a bug tracking system for documentation that keeps track of requests, requirements and problems? The reason I ask is that we really don't have this organized its more like 'This needs to be done' then someone says 'I'll do it' but sometimes it gets done and other times it doesn't.

This doesn't need to be anything formal, just a list somewhere containing the task and the person working on it.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

I tried to incorporate a bug list in to the 1.3 token docs I did (I will update them again when the next section of work is done)

I know there is a list of who (if anyone) is working on what docs on the docs front page, but no details or errata notes.
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote: Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a bug tracking system for documentation that keeps track of requests, requirements and problems?
There is one:

http://tracker.rptools.net

When people make suggestions in the forums, I put in a tracker with a link to the post. (that is, unless I plan to work on it that day/night)

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”