Recover campaign from client.

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Jarii246
Kobold

Recover campaign from client.

Post by Jarii246 »

Hello all, my DM had their house(and all software/hardware destroyed) in the recent Oklahoma tornado. Is there any way to recover the campaign file from the client program? I know that the maps and information is cached, but I haven’t been able to find a way to pull that information out of my client files.

Thanks in advance!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Recover campaign from client.

Post by Azhrei »

No, the client has no way to put together the individual pieces into a campaign file. So while the core assets are cached (image data primarily) there is none of the information about how to organize them into a map.

Dropbox is your friend. ;)

Jarii246
Kobold

Post by Jarii246 »

Thanks

Is there a way to translate the map files in any other 3rd party programs?
Anything that I could recover would be a boon.

And yes, Drop box is my friend, but my DM hadnt had a chance to use that program yet.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Jarii246 wrote:Is there a way to translate the map files in any other 3rd party programs?
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're asking about building maps in other programs and importing them straight into MT, there is no option for that.

Most file formats are proprietary to the application that created them. There are some exceptions (like PNGs and JPEGs) which are based on published standards. MapTool doesn't have any published standards to adhere to because they don't exist. :|

So we write our data out as XML in the hopes that other applications will be able to at least easily read our stuff, even if we can't easily read theirs.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”