What are Token Macros?

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Templar
Cave Troll

What are Token Macros?

Post by Templar »

Hi All,

We have just started using MapTools as one of our players has moved overseas.
I am slowly getting the hang of things but am having a problem with "Token Macros".

In fact what are Token Macros?
I have created plenty of Macros that have "Apply to Selected Tokens" ticked. Are these Token Macros?

But this link: http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Macro_Int ... ken_Macros
says: "Token macros can be accessed by right-clicking on a token the player owns and selecting it from the Macros -> menu"

This suggests to me that the Macros are somehow directly stored/connected with a particular Token.
When I right click on a Token there is no Macros menue.

As I understand it this also affects Library Tokens??

What am I missing?

I am using MapTool Version: 1.4.1.8

Templar
Templar

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: What are Token Macros?

Post by wolph42 »

you have a 'selected' and 'impersonation' panel. when you select (or impersonate) a token, that panel is clear. ON that panel you can right click and 'create macro'. Those macros are 'token macros' (vs. 'campaign macros' created on the 'campaign panel' and 'global macros' on the 'global panel'). library tokens are 'just' tokens with the exception that their macros and variables are accessible on ALL maps vs only the map they're on (as with normal tokens).

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Templar wrote:In fact what are Token Macros?
All Macros that are stored on Tokens are considered "Token Macros".

You can see those Macros through the Window>Impersonated and Window>Selected panels.
I have created plenty of Macros that have "Apply to Selected Tokens" ticked. Are these Token Macros?
No. Checking "Apply to Selected" on a macro is just instructional behavior for that particular macro.
But this link: http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Macro_Int ... ken_Macros
says: "Token macros can be accessed by right-clicking on a token the player owns and selecting it from the Macros -> menu"
This is incorrect. Due to the growing size of the right-click menu on tokens this was removed some time ago.

Hopefully, someone will correct that in the wiki.
This suggests to me that the Macros are somehow directly stored/connected with a particular Token.
If you can see the macro in the Selection panel when selecting the token, those macros *are* stored on that token. Keep in mind that you can select more than one token. Look carefully to see what is stored on each token in that case.
As I understand it this also affects Library Tokens??
A Library Token is a token with the suffix "Lib:" attached to it that is accessible from other macros anywhere in the campaign (on any map). Macros activated on the lib token are more powerful. See Library_Token for more information.

Macros that you create in the Window>Global panel are stored in your operating system's registry. They will be available in any campaign file you open on *that* computer. Others will not have access to them.

Macros that you create in the Windows>Campaign panel are stored in the Campaign File. Those will be available only in that campaign. But you can make these available to players (or not.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Templar
Cave Troll

Post by Templar »

Hi Guys.

That was perfect. I see how it works now.
Can't really find where that is spellt out in the documentation but my searches may have been poor.

Templar
Templar

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”