Setting up MT for D&D

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Setting up MT for D&D

Post by dorpond »

I thought I would join in the fun :)
I plan to use this thread for D20, safe to use material, to help us D&D gamers out there.

To start this off, I would like to show you all how I use Token Scripting for my monsters attacks (note: in 1.2, we used the /think command instead of the /self command. /self was a recent change in 1.3). I play face to face so I prefer that all of my rolls are private.

These are the Macros that I would create. One usually for the single attack that can be made after a move and another for a full round attack:

You place the macros in the token properties:

This is how you do the attacks:

This is the end result in Chat (notice that the /think (or) /self commands report the results only to the GM. I prefer that since I play face to face and would rather express the attacks verbally):

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You could put your base attack bonus, Str bonus, and dex bonus in properties and use those to help calculate the required to hit

/me attacks with a +2 sword [d20+Str+BAB+2]

This way, can copy it to other tokens and have it work. If either Str or BAB is not defined, it will prompt you for it.

Now, I haven't tried this but it might work. You have str and bab, you should be able to have a property called MeleeAttackBonus defined as Str+BAB and it should translate into the macro. Then you'll do something like

/me attacks with a +2 sword [d20+MeleeAttackBonus+2]

Of course, the issue with custom properties like these above is that you have to manually add them to each campaign until number 2 on the wall of woah ( as in 'woah, that's a lot of stuff' ) is complete.

my 2 cents
Troll
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Great stuff RPTroll! :)

I know some people may in fact fill in all the stats of a monster. If you do that, RPTrolls method is ideal. If you are like me, you might not put all the stat information in and in that case, my method might be better for you. Either way, you win! :)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

As a point of note, if you don't have a property, but name it in the expression, a dialog will pop up and ask you for the value.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Of course, what might be even cooler than that is a derived stat base on Strength
StrBonus | (Strength-10)/2
DexBonus | (Dex-10)/2
The the Melee Attack Bonus and Ranged Attack bonus becomes
MAB | StrBonus + BAB
RAB | DexBonus + BAB

Then, one more level of stuff, you define your standard melee and ranged attacks
MeleeAtt | d20+MAB
RangeAtt | d20+RAB

Of course, you can collapse it all into

MeleeAtt | d20+(Strength-10)/2 + BAB
RangeAtt | d20+(Dex-10)/2 + BAB

and get rid of MAB, RAB, DexBonus, and StrBonus but I thought I'd lead you through the process.

Note, you can do the same for saving throws, armor class, favored skills, etc.

The nice thing about this method is that whenever you update Strength, Dex or Base attack Bonus, all your weapons rolls automatically update meaning less work for you and less chance of forgetting to change something.
another 2 cents
Troll

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

RPTroll wrote: StrBonus | (Strength-10)/2
This should be

StrBonus | floor((Strength-10)/2)

So that if the strength is odd you don't end up with a bonus of X.5.
~Giliath

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

True enough, I just figured it would calculate via integer math.

Glanrus
Cave Troll

Post by Glanrus »

RPTroll wrote:
Note, you can do the same for saving throws, armor class, favored skills, etc.

The nice thing about this method is that whenever you update Strength, Dex or Base attack Bonus, all your weapons rolls automatically update meaning less work for you and less chance of forgetting to change something.
another 2 cents
Troll
Can't quite give up the scripting thoughts, ehh?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Nope.

I figure a combination of pity from Trevor and being a squeaky wheel might be a good combination. Let me know if pity isn't working and I'll squeak more.
:-)

On a serious note, while some of the graphics stuff like light looks good it does nothing to speed up play. Scripting allows you to write some macros, access some properties then have all of that automagically appear when you drop a token.

I have very little time to devote to gaming. MT, as it is now, speeds up things a lot. If the scripting stuff is ever put in there, I'll be able to select a group of kobolds, have them attack a fighter, assess whether they hit, apply the damage and change the state of the token with a few clicks. This takes a 10 minute combat down to a few seconds leaving more time for story telling and action and less time spent rolling, subtracting hp, clicking through states, etc. etc.

Its all about the story. Its not about how elves can see better in darkness. :-)
(sorry, couldn't resist)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote: I'll squeak more.
Generally speaking, this is very effective.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

trevor wrote:
RPTroll wrote: I'll squeak more.
Generally speaking, this is very effective.
Especially when the squeaking comes in the form of dollars. ;)
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

We were kicking around the idea of adding "mod" to the properties. That way the roll would be like:

[1d20+Str+BAB+mod]

and mod = 0 unless there's some effect giving them -1 -2 -3 or +1 etc. Not sure if we want to do that or just do it by hand. Having the +mod in the roll is kind of annoying when it's used 5% of the time... but just thought I'd drop this in here in case anybody was interested.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

yeah, SW has wounds and fatigue so I add(subtract) those to every roll. There are lots of ways to go but <squeak> we need more scripting support to handle them.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Just a parameter entry is enough for most modifiers I would think.

Having the macro have a setting like the macro buttons of not auto executing would take care of it. That way you can launch the macro throw the modifier on the end of it and proceed. Seems easy enough.

Maybe just add a check box to the token macros tab at the end of each line. If it is checked it doesn't auto execute.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

RPTroll wrote:yeah, SW has wounds and fatigue so I add(subtract) those to every roll. There are lots of ways to go but <squeak> we need more scripting support to handle them.
Can we keep this thread on course, please?
*Dorpond looks through his bag in hopes to find some diapers*

:P
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”