Setting up MT for D&D

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

PillBox
Dragon

Post by PillBox »

In the campaign prefrences I added a new property (actually I added a few, but I will use this as an example).

Anyways, I added Primary Attack. The player just enters their damage range (eg 1d2). Their 'Primary Damage' Macro will be :
[PrimaryAttack + StrengthModifier]

Party is only level one for now, so these things are kept basic for now.

Was going to get rid of 'StrengthModifier' and use floor((Strength-10)/2) but that rounds the value up. I am still new at the rules, but I though fractions would be rolled down?

I am going to have to create a bunch of Macros for our Barbarian character when he goes into rage. Not really thought about it yet. Any ideas?

PillBox
Dragon

Post by PillBox »

Ah, nevermind ... just looked into the floor thing .. it does round down, so thats good.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

PillBox wrote: I am going to have to create a bunch of Macros for our Barbarian character when he goes into rage. Not really thought about it yet. Any ideas?
Perhaps a "Rage Modifier"? One for each relevant stat that can be added in to attack and damage rolls, as well as skill checks. Normally, these values will be zero, but they can be set non-zero when he Barbarian rages.

What we have with the current macros is just a small subset of the possibilities. It would be so cool to have "Conditions" defined the same way that DM Genie defines them: a single condition can affect ability scores (and modifiers), skill checks, attack and damage rolls, spell resistance and spell failure, number of available spell slots, and so on. This is a hugely useful feature! If MapTool could either (a) interface to DM Genie to obtain these values, or (b) define its own conditions that can be applied to tokens, it would significantly simplify things for people that don't use DM Genie...

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

RPTroll wrote:Its all about the story. Its not about how elves can see better in darkness. :-)
(sorry, couldn't resist)
For me, I've always hated how if one party member sees something (like with darkvision) EVERYONE sees it. To me, the vision/light stuff is the most important feature of MT (as far as the actual map manipulation goes). With regards to your desire for more scripting, I agree about the reduced rolling, which does bog down the game, but that is more of a Table Top function than a map function to me (I realize that this is a VTT but rolling and general "bookkeeping" is more minor to me- maybe I'm just being a pain though). :P I guess I'll just have to donate and put MY stuff in front of yours. :wink:

PillBox
Dragon

Post by PillBox »

Azhrei wrote:
PillBox wrote: I am going to have to create a bunch of Macros for our Barbarian character when he goes into rage. Not really thought about it yet. Any ideas?
Perhaps a "Rage Modifier"? One for each relevant stat that can be added in to attack and damage rolls, as well as skill checks. Normally, these values will be zero, but they can be set non-zero when he Barbarian rages.
quote]

This is what I am doing for now (Have not really had time to work on this because of Christmas). But here is what I have started on :

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

mrobviousjosh wrote:
RPTroll wrote:Its all about the story. Its not about how elves can see better in darkness. :-)
(sorry, couldn't resist)
For me, I've always hated how if one party member sees something (like with darkvision) EVERYONE sees it. To me, the vision/light stuff is the most important feature of MT (as far as the actual map manipulation goes). With regards to your desire for more scripting, I agree about the reduced rolling, which does bog down the game, but that is more of a Table Top function than a map function to me (I realize that this is a VTT but rolling and general "bookkeeping" is more minor to me- maybe I'm just being a pain though). :P I guess I'll just have to donate and put MY stuff in front of yours. :wink:
Please. Feel free. Donate LOTS AND LOTS. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

RPTroll wrote:
mrobviousjosh wrote:
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Please. Feel free. Donate LOTS AND LOTS. :-)
Lol, oh I will. I'm waiting until after I get back to law school and get a huge influx of excess aid again. :D

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

This is a great topic.

I am getting set to start a new Star Wars Saga rules campaign and hope to use a lot these token/campaign properties macros.

I noticed that when you set up Token Properties in the Campaign Properties that you must use the long name of the var in your macros. The short name appears to only be used for display. Can we get it so we can use either in the macro.

Also, the discussion about complex var definitions is right on. This would be a real good additon to the scripting language.

Keep cranking on this area of MT. I agree with the previous poster. Light and graphics are cool, but this is the real power tool. . .

-David

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Forgot this bit.

It would be nice to get the ability to move the Token Properties Macros up/dn in the list to help organize them after the fact. I never seem to remember to add them in the best order (silly brain. . .).

-David

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

When setting up a macro for say, an attack, I want to have it prompt for 'Misc Modifiers'. I don't want to have a Campaign Property set.

Right now if I put in something like this:
/me <b>Ranged Attack Roll</b><br>[1d20+BAB+DexMOD+RangePenalty+MiscModifiers]

I will get prompted to enter Range and Misc, which is what I want.

However, I must put in a value to that dialog box or you get a 'Could not execute the command:null'

Can we get that to default to 0 so if there is no +- penalty, we can just press Enter and move on to the next one?

Thanks,
-David

PS: I am on 1.3b20

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

drswoboda wrote:I am getting set to start a new Star Wars Saga rules campaign and hope to use a lot these token/campaign properties macros.
A friend of mine has talked about starting a SW Saga campaign using MapTools. I made a bunch of tokens you can use here. Feel free to use them all, I'm going to make a bunch more too in the next week or so. Anyway, I'd like to see what all you work up and if you need some help let me know. :)

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Hi mrobviousjosh,

Hey thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I am just stating to think about the macros so I have spent a few hours tonight messing around with various ideas.

I really like the idea of using the /tmacro command on a group of tokens and rolling hidden rolls and such. Since I am just finishing up reading the new rules, I'm trying to unlearn all the old rules and think about Maptool and macros. The head begins to swim.

I can say I do think the Saga rules 'read' as a much better game. Some of the mechanic changes are very positive and it seems like Force stuff will play much better with a better ground work for SW type events.

I hope it plays as good as it reads. (Sure will be interesting to see how much of this is really the new 4.0 DnD ruleset.)

-David

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

drswoboda wrote:Right now if I put in something like this:
/me <b>Ranged Attack Roll</b><br>[1d20+BAB+DexMOD+RangePenalty+MiscModifiers]
Also,

I would love to have the properties auto populate... then you could do

[1d20+Range]

and set range = BAB+DexMOD+RangePenalty+MiscModifiers
and set BAB = 4... etc...

Then the roll doesn't look so crazy but you can edit the exact part of the token you want (DexMOD for instance if there's a DEX change)

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Hawke wrote:
I would love to have the properties auto populate... then you could do

[1d20+Range]

and set range = BAB+DexMOD+RangePenalty+MiscModifiers
and set BAB = 4... etc...

Then the roll doesn't look so crazy but you can edit the exact part of the token you want (DexMOD for instance if there's a DEX change)
Hi Hawke,

Can you already do Range=BAB etc. etc. in Map Tool? That would be handy as discussed above. Or is that a wish list item?

Thanks.
-David

PillBox
Dragon

Post by PillBox »

How do I access a tbl from with a token?

In the chatbar /tbl GoblinWeapon works fine, but as soon as I do it from within the token, it does not work.

Just messing around with some tokens ... I am thinking of creating a token that will create a statblock for a creature, with randomised weapons and hit points.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”