Looking for Map Tool Resources

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Goonalan
Giant

Looking for Map Tool Resources

Post by Goonalan »

Hi there, making merry with MapTools and yet my maps still stink, I've spent ages (and I mean ages) downloading bits and pieces, placeables, tokens, textures et al from Dundjinni but I just can't find the good stuff, or so it seems.

I'd pay hard cash money for the resources to use RPTools to make beautiful maps- I watched the tutorials again the other day, the one where they construct a simple map- the bridge across a stream encounter.

In comparison my grass texture sucks, my trees are rubbish, and the bridge- well I don't have one, but the bridge in the tutorial is just beautiful- where do you wonderful people go for all this stuff- placeables, textures etc.

Please help me to make my maps better.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Well oddly enough there is a forum called Links and External Resources not to far above this one which has a number of links to image resources.

Brad has links to resources on his site with the tutorial videos.

The Dundjinni forums are the source for much of what you have seen but www.rpgmapshare.com and www.cartographersguild.com are also excellent sites to visit.

Goonalan
Giant

Post by Goonalan »

Yep, I've been there, to both of the sites you listed but I still think I'm missing something, I'll try again.

I started in the Dundjinni forums on page 42 (user creations), I opened every thread and tried to grab whatever I could, and I grabbed lots of stuff- but other than a complete tavern set them I'm still missing lots of stuff (particularly wilderness placeables and dungeon placeables). My point then, and sorry for missing it last time, is there a place you can go to get well- everything, lots of things, and all in the same place, rather than a pillow here, a tree there, have to wade through lots of forums to get what you need.

Thanks for the reply, I promise it wasn't my intention to appear a little foolish, I'm not particularly adept at stearing thei thing (the PC), I just thought it would make sense for someone to have a site that had a bunch of headings- Trees, Bushes, Terrain, Weapons etc (or whatever) and people just went there for their stuff, even if you have to pay.

Don't get me wrong I've located lots of marvelous stuff just jealous to hell of the maps produced via Dundjinni etc. they make mine look like I've been using crayons.

Thanks again.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I think what you are looking for is something like the CSUAC. It seems to have a lot of DJ stuff already sorted into folders and directories. It has over a 650Mb of zip files with images in them. I haven't got to try them out so I've not added them to our links yet, but it looks fairly promising. You need to register for an account to download the files. You may even need one to see the list provided in the link above. Registration was free.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

There are too many possibilities to have "everything" in one place. My suggestion is to first goto the Image Library link on the tutorials page. Use the link that will get you to the CSAUC. That is a good start. The CSAUC is something like 3000 to 4000 images from the Dundjinni forums all organized by category. Still that does not cover near everything you will want. Next just start practicing on making maps. Come to the forums and ask questions. Also bookmark resource sites. The ones that Phergus mentioned along with the ones on the Image Library page. When you need a particular object just goto those sites and use the Search function. You will often get pages of various bridges, doors, or whatever you are searching for(depending on which site you are at). Until you have been mapping for a while you will probably have to periodically stop and go grab a new object.

Another suggestion is to do a screen capture of a map you are having problems with and post it here for feedback. There are many useful users that will help you. As Phergus said, the cartographers guild is also a great resource for helpful tips.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Thanks for the Cartographer's Guild plugs guys! :D

As a note for Goonalan, the Cartographer's Guild isn't so much about bits and pieces like you are looking for, but more about the map as a whole and more about "how to do it yourself".

That said, I encourage anyone and everyone to sign up and at least take a look around and post an introduction. You'll find very quickly that it is a great place to lurk in even if you don't contribute.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Goonalan
Giant

Post by Goonalan »

I'm checking out leads all the while, the stuff I'm finding is excellent, it's just a little difficult to find what you want when you have to rely on "Search", most times I'm not sure what I want, until I see it that is.

Can I just say a massive thank you to you all, and the creators of this fine piece of software which has enabled me and my players (spread far and wide) to get back together after years without a game.

Genius.

Cheers Goonalan

Cecil
Kobold

Post by Cecil »

I'm in the process of adding about 25,000 new symbols to the CSUAC directory. The first update is probably about 3-4 weeks away, with a healthy batch going every month from then on.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

All the work you put into that is greatly appreciated Cecil.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Phergus wrote:All the work you put into that is greatly appreciated Cecil.
Most definitely! All you work not only saves people a ton of time, but helps newcomers hit the ground running with MapTool.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

With RPGMapshare.com you can search, or just browse images. No need to read through tons of threads to find an item you're looking for.

And of course you can post to the forum if you're looking for something you can't find. I might be able to find it quicker, or render it for you.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”